I think that I am reaching an age...

When I was a kid I could not stand songs that had the word "metal" in the lyrics. I was kind of embarrassed to even be listening to such rubbish. After the 90s I began to crave songs about "heavy metal" HAHA
When I think of songwriters it usually isn't metal that comes to mind. Normally it is Elvis Costello, Lenard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and Ricky Lee Jones. Heavy metal would never be the first place I would look for deep poetic writers. I just don't see a Lennon in a power metal band.
This is not to say there are not good writers in metal.

Absolutely. Metal is not the genre with the best writers, though there are a number of them. I just think topically, they're more diverse usually. Those you said definitely are some of the best songwriters in music generally. A lot of it too depends on the genre of metal. Power metal mostly is just fantasy sorta stuff, though I think that's a more diverse topic than what most rock and rollers tend to do.

Shit, ever since I found Nightwish in 2005, I hardly listen to bands from my youth. Hell, I should have been pumped for Maiden/Dream Theater, but more interested in Kamelot, Sabaton and Immortal. Hell, I go out of my way to find new bands, as the old ones just don't do it for me anymore (With the exception of Rush). Oh, BTW, I am 44.

Power metal mostly is just fantasy sorta stuff, though I think that's a more diverse topic than what most rock and rollers tend to do.

Power metal writers usually fall in one of two groups; either they are writing about Tolkien or Moorecock books, or they are writing their own lame attempt a good story. Remember that Dragon Flame thing?
Crap I just ruffled some feathers.
I always thought doom produced decent writers and Martin in Skyclad could not be touched.

There is no such thing as having a terrible time at a Maiden show. NO. SUCH. THING.

Yes there is. Try standing next two a 400 pound teenager who smells like his last shower was when he was 5. For the whole entire show. I swear to you, my dog's shit smells better than that kid. I mean, B.O. is okay and all, but that was just wrong. I hope I never cross paths with that kid ever again. And believe me when I say it, that would spoil ANY moment in your life.

Next time you go see them drive seven hours to the show. Pay a lot of money for a decent set. Unless you are cool with the field. Be sure to cover one eye and squint through the show.
You know if they cannot come to NC then to hell with them.

It's only 4.5 hours from Mebane to Gainesville, and $25 would have got you a seat where if you couldn't see the stage clearly, you could definitely see the giant screens showing closeups.

All I'm saying is don't dismiss something as terrible if you weren't there.

Yes there is. Try standing next two a 400 pound teenager who smells like his last shower was when he was 5. For the whole entire show. I swear to you, my dog's shit smells better than that kid. I mean, B.O. is okay and all, but that was just wrong. I hope I never cross paths with that kid ever again. And believe me when I say it, that would spoil ANY moment in your life.

Whoa. OK, maybe there is such a thing. Were you on the lawn? If not, I think I would have given up my seat and moved to the lawn.

Behind my seat, I had moron frat boys drunk on Mike's Hard Lemonade acting like asses the whole time.

Whoa. OK, maybe there is such a thing. Were you on the lawn? If not, I think I would have given up my seat and moved to the lawn.

Behind my seat, I had moron frat boys drunk on Mike's Hard Lemonade acting like asses the whole time.

Nah, this wasn't this tour. It was quite a few years ago actually, during the Dance of Death tour. The packed venue didn't help either, not a whole lot of room to move.

Wow, drunk on Mike's Hard Lemonade? What a pussy. I swear to God, sometimes I wish we could get the likes of General Zod to annihilate all of them. He's a mean motherfucker.

When I think of songwriters it usually isn't metal that comes to mind. Normally it is Elvis Costello, Lenard Cohen, Jeff Buckley, and Ricky Lee Jones. Heavy metal would never be the first place I would look for deep poetic writers. I just don't see a Lennon in a power metal band.

I think you have a different definition of "songwriter" than everyone else, as Fiddler already pointed out. Your definition is closer to what everyone else thinks of when they hear "lyricist", or perhaps "singer/songwriter".

My definition is the same as Fiddler's, and the same as most everyone else I've heard in the metal community talking about songwriting: it encompasses the entire song, both music and lyrics, and, given the general banality of metal lyrics, generally refers *more* to the music-writing than the lyric-writing.

You can stick with your definition, but be aware that it will likely cause confusion.

Neil

LOL! :devil: Remember, we'ver had our share of those a few times at Prog Power. I distinctly remember 2 classifications - 1) The "fuck showering, I'm going back to the venue" rancid BO dude and my worst, 2) The "I shit my pants and don't care" person. :guh:

I know this isn't prom, but a little personal hygeine goes a long way....

LOL! :devil: Remember, we'ver had our share of those a few times at Prog Power. I distinctly remember 2 classifications - 1) The "fuck showering, I'm going back to the venue" rancid BO dude and my worst, 2) The "I shit my pants and don't care" person. :guh:

I know this isn't prom, but a little personal hygeine goes a long way....

:lol: I had no idea about these two instances. :lol: I'm laughing out loud thinking of them, but the million dollar question is..

WHERE ARE THEM IN THE FORUM? :lol:

I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if I repeat what anybody else said.

My main problem is finding bands that really sound different. A lot of people talk about a lot of bands, but when I listen to them all I can think is, "Did this album come out in the 80's?," or "Oh great! Another Dream Theater wannabe." Most power metal I hear sounds just like all power metal has for the last 30 years. Even prog metal isn't very prog anymore.

My main problem is finding bands that really sound different. A lot of people talk about a lot of bands, but when I listen to them all I can think is, "Did this album come out in the 80's?," or "Oh great! Another Dream Theater wannabe." Most power metal I hear sounds just like all power metal has for the last 30 years. Even prog metal isn't very prog anymore.

I can see that, but I don't think being innovative is a deciding factor on whether a band is good or not. Take Circus Maximus, for instance. A lot of people will say that they're just another Dream Theater rip-off (which I don't agree with). Now let's take a more recent Circus Maximus album (Isolate) and compare it with a rather recent Dream Theater album (Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, or even Black Clouds). Circus Maximus, although obviously being the "son" (or grandson, for some) beats Dream Theater with a stick (and I love Dream Theater).

I'd have to say that I'm a mix....I still listen to a lot of old stuff, but I enjoy quite a few 'newer' bands, too.
I -do- find that many of the newer bands I like aren't metal bands or from the genre.

An interesting thread.

Myself I'm a 44 year old Metal Musician with a new release this year. I have found that its harder for me to listen to older CDs. Not saying that I dont but as of late my frequent plays are mostly 4 year old and newer releases.

Shit, ever since I found Nightwish in 2005, I hardly listen to bands from my youth. Hell, I should have been pumped for Maiden/Dream Theater, but more interested in Kamelot, Sabaton and Immortal. Hell, I go out of my way to find new bands, as the old ones just don't do it for me anymore (With the exception of Rush). Oh, BTW, I am 44.

Every one of those "new" bands you metioned is between 9 and 18 years old...haha! Newer than Maiden, maybe...or "new to you"...but veteran bands...