"I will walk... with my hands bound"

Superb playlist, Glenn!

I've seen Pearl Jam three or four times now. Each time is an incredible experience. I was so enamored with them that I bought every single one of their "bootleg" CDs from their 2000-2001 tour. I can listen to PJ play, like, four dozen concerts from that tour, from venues all over the world.

Their use of the Internet (to create downloadable mp3s of entire concerts) was ahead of the curve. And I loved being able to see them in Detroit one day, and a day or two later, buy the CD from that very show. Many bands do that these days (the smart ones, anyway). But they were pioneers.

Very few people sing with the passion that Eddie embodies.

To my ears, being a lover of words and melodies, I can't think of a more poignant song than "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town." It moves me every time. In fact, just the phrase "hearts and thoughts they fade...away" is heart-wrenching. Eddie can capture the emotion in every day life like few others.

Yeah. Eddie is the man.

Bill

"Ten" is one of the greatest albums in the history of rock, period. Problem with PJ is that they could never live up to what they debuted with. Had Vedder put as much energy into his songwriting as he did fighting Ticketbastard, PJ would have been the Rolling Stones of the era.....the biggest band out there.

To my ears, being a lover of words and melodies, I can't think of a more poignant song than "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town." It moves me every time. In fact, just the phrase "hearts and thoughts they fade...away" is heart-wrenching. Eddie can capture the emotion in every day life like few others.

Agreed! "Elderly Woman" is possibly my favorite song of all time. It ranks #1 on my iTunes most played list. No matter how many times I listen to it, it doesn't lose even one iota of its power. It's simply an amazing song.

I like Pearl Jam, but Alice in Chains is where my heart is with the whole grunge era, and I have liked both Cantrell cds and am super excited about the new AiC cd, because I am expecting it to be their heaviest cd and the new guy sounds amazing.

I'm not a HUGE Pearl Jam fan, but I loved Ten and Vs. and consider them two of the best releases of the 90's. Vitalogy was a big let-down for me after those two, and to be honest they basically dropped off my radar after that.

Craig

Pretty much the same here with me. I really loved Ten and liked Vs. but didn't think Vitalogy measured up, and it was during that time that I'd gotten into other kinds of (to me) more interestng music, namely metal and especially prog-metal. :)

I still have that 3-disc live PJ set from way back that's apparently rare these days....and it's not for sale. :lol:

Hated the whole grunge scene and still do, nothing I cared for. I hated when they started playing all those bands on Headbangers Ball back in the day - after awhile all you saw was videos by Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and the like.

Zod, Have you heard their cover of this tune? It's amazing.
Good song. If I was more familiar with the original, this cover may have had more impact.

I've always been a fan of Vedder's voice. He was one of the three great vocalists Seattle's 90s Grunge scene gave us, along with Cornell, who could hold his own with any Metal vocalist, and Staley. Anyone who was "too Metal' to appreciate the music these artists created, truly missed out. Although, ironically, the two best pieces of work this scene produced, may have been the two side project releases; Temple of the Dog and Mad Season.

Zod

I pulled Ten out a couple of months ago... still love it! I liked Vs and some of Vitalogy (which was the 100th CD I owned... strange the stuff you remember). Never managed to see them live, though.

What is this Brendan O'Brien Remix stuff? I guess I'll have to go look that up now. :)

I pulled Ten out a couple of months ago... still love it! I liked Vs and some of Vitalogy (which was the 100th CD I owned... strange the stuff you remember). Never managed to see them live, though.

What is this Brendan O'Brien Remix stuff? I guess I'll have to go look that up now. :)

There are three re-mixed tracks on the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/rearviewmirror-Greatest-Hits-1991-2003-Pearl/dp/B000669GAI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232304302&sr=1-1"]rearviewmirror[/ame] greatest hits 2-CD set. Those are the ones Glenn included in his iPod playlist.

Some of the tracks on Glenn's playlist come from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Dogs-Pearl-Jam/dp/B0000DYJM6/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1232304302&sr=1-10"]Lost Dogs[/ame], a 2-CD compilation of rare tracks and, I think, B sides.

All in all, Glenn's playlist contains an extensive, pretty deep collection of tracks not always easy to find.

But he's a fanboy. So he has them.

Bill

Another here who thought "Ten" was a great album. Unfortunately I thought "Vs" was a disappointment and I ended up getting rid of it. The only other album I bought was "Yield" and I only thought it was OK.

I always had a lot of respect for Pearl Jam. I often refer to them as the 90s version of Zeppelin. Always had a ton of songs to pick from their catalog when it comes to playing live. There is always a story in their songs. Not to mention how they were one of the first bands to stand up again Ticketmaster...

I have most of their albums. Changing up the setlist massively on a nightly basis is pure brilliance. When a tour is announced, diehard fans start figuring out which three shows they will attend (their hometown + travel to two others). I'm not a diehard fan, but my friends are. I agree, Eddie's a special vocalist (for the passion, not the technique).

Anyone who was "too Metal" to appreciate the music these artists created, truly missed out.

Nice insight. I think a lot of great music is missed due to this mindset.