Iced Earth announce Fall U.S. Tour Schedule

Its too bad that they won't be staying around for the festival. They'll probably show up, play a regular set and leave. I'll still enjoy them.

Same here....but let's face it, there went a lot of the lustre.

Its also interesting that suddenly that whole 'we can't tour... we don't want to tour' thing went out the window.

+1

We have to assume that Matt's been saving up allll of his vacatiion time. :)

Its also interesting that suddenly that whole 'we can't tour... we don't want to tour' thing went out the window.

No they didn't, looks to me like they're doing pretty much exactly what Jon said they would do. He said they would still tour, it just wouldn't be the same style of touring as they used to do because of Matt's schedule so they would do a week or two at a time, with a little bit off in between. He also said they would be playing US dates in the fall around ProgPower so I hardly see anything contradictory here.

No they didn't, looks to me like they're doing pretty much exactly what Jon said they would do. He said they would still tour, it just wouldn't be the same style of touring as they used to do because of Matt's schedule so they would do a week or two at a time, with a little bit off in between. He also said they would be playing US dates in the fall around ProgPower so I hardly see anything contradictory here.

I'm starting to feel that the negative sentiment on this thread is based on the fact that a lot of ppl bought Prog Power tickets for this "special Iced Earth event" when it does not seem to be so special and unique after all.

It's understandable but I know Jon, Matt and co. will make the night memorable for all Prog Power attendees anyway.

TBJ, I don't mind them touring and it not being a special reunion type of show. My only concern (if it really even matters) is that they might treat ProgPower like any other show. And as we saw with Sonata Arctica last year, that didn't go over too well (okay the crowd gave them lots of props, but the forums were littered with bitching). I think that people also want the band to stay around during the fest for autographs and such, but these guys got to make the money and play when they can and that's what they are doing.

Shaq, I must have misread what was stated initially. I thought they stated they didn't want to tour, but I guess its just that they aren't going to go on 3-4 month tours anymore perhaps?

TBJ, I don't mind them touring and it not being a special reunion type of show. My only concern (if it really even matters) is that they might treat ProgPower like any other show. And as we saw with Sonata Arctica last year, that didn't go over too well (okay the crowd gave them lots of props, but the forums were littered with bitching). I think that people also want the band to stay around during the fest for autographs and such, but these guys got to make the money and play when they can and that's what they are doing.

Shaq, I must have misread what was stated initially. I thought they stated they didn't want to tour, but I guess its just that they aren't going to go on 3-4 month tours anymore perhaps?

I get what you are saying, but I dont know, maybe you are jumping ahead of yourself. Maybe they will have a special setlist/stage setup/whatnot for PP. who knows?

Are you blaming the band or the people who book the openers?
Both.

The people who book these tours have only one interest; selling tickets. If the venues sell out, than they did their job. It's business, pure and simple. That said, it may not be a smart business decision in the long term. At some point, you need more than one legitimate opener for these tours. And a tour, such as this one, where I don't suspect that Into Eternity's presence is actually selling more tickets, would be a great place to stick a band with promise, who lacks exposure.

Jon would love to see Iced Earth be the opener for Iron Maiden or Judas Priest. He would love to see them pass the torch, so to speak. Well, what about the torch Iced Earth carries? Could they not similarly advance the career of some budding young act? Into Eternity is unlikely to grow from this tour. For starters, they've toured with similar acts and very few people will be seeing them for the first time. More importantly, and this is obviously only my opinion (though shared by many), I'd be surprised to learn that Into Eternity creates a lot of new fans with their live shows, as they're awful live. And again, I state this as someone who owns all their CDs, thinks they're brilliant on disc and has seen them live on six occasions.

Zod

We'll see if it pays out. If Into Eternity's upcoming album ends up getting top 25 US charts in first week sales it will have. And I think its a decent possibility.

We'll see if it pays out. If Into Eternity's upcoming album ends up getting top 25 US charts in first week sales it will have. And I think its a decent possibility.
Top 25? Opeth's Watershed recently debuted at 23. I could be wrong, but in my estimation, Into Eternity is no where near as popular as Opeth.

Zod

Ah. I looked at their last album and saw top 50. Dug deeper and top 50 independent... nevermind =p Still if the 18,000 figure is accurate that's pretty good for a metal band.

I'm trying to decide... do I hit the Cleveland show, even though I hate going to shows here in Cleveland, or do I make the trip out to Harpo's for the first time in like 7 years? (And for the record, that last band I saw at Harpo's was.... Iced Earth! And I also wasn't living in Michigan at the time. LOL)

Go to Cleveland, that's where we are going. VIP of course!

I am so glad they are headlining at PPUSA IX, but I sure wish they could be here for Friday's festivities, as well. It's still all good, though.

Still if the 18,000 figure is accurate that's pretty good for a metal band.
Agreed. Unless you consider Disturbed a Metal band:

The Pulse of Radio reports that DISTURBED's debut at the top of the Billboard album chart on Wednesday (June 11) with the band's fourth release, "Indestructible", has also notched the Chicago group a spot on a very elite list. According to Billboard.com, only six other rock acts have had three No. 1 albums in a row: VAN HALEN, U2, METALLICA, DAVE MATTHEWS BAND, STAIND and SYSTEM OF A DOWN. "Indestructible" sold 253,000 copies in its first week to join 2002's "Believe" and 2005's "Ten Thousand Fists" as DISTURBED's third straight chart-topper. The former moved 284,000 copies in its first week, while the latter sold 239,000.

Zod

Top 25?

I don't know if that's a possibility, honestly. I'd love to be proven wrong though.