IN FLAMES.....fans!!!

4acidbath4

Jan 5, 2006
yo moms house
IN FLAMES have announced an AOL Music "Advance Listening Party", previewing their long-awaited new album "Come Clarity". "Come Clarity" will be released in North America on February 7 through Ferret Music.

The IN FLAMES / AOL Music "Advance Listening Party" will enable AOL Music listeners to hear IN FLAMES' new album in its entirety. "Come Clarity" will be available to preview beginning Monday, February 6 through Sunday, February 12 at the AOL Music Full CD Listening Party page. AOL Music has a monthly audience of more than 17,000,000.

IN FLAMES' North American "Come Clarity" headlining tour launched on January 25 to a sold-out crowd at the Marquee Theatre in Tempe, AZ. The scheduled 29-city tour is expected to conclude on February 26 at the House of Blues in Lake Buena Vista, FL. Support on the IN FLAMES tour is provided by TRIVIUM, DEVILDRIVER and ZAO.

Heck, just listen to the WREKage show archive for this past Friday, in near CD-quality mp3. We played a song from Come Clarity, five songs in. :D

BTW, dunno if anyone here called into the studio, but we had a lot of requests and, even better, a number of unusually cool ones: Sonata Arctica, Manowar, Orchid-era Opeth, relatively obscure Cradle of Filth, Edguy, and lots more. It was hella fun!

LOL... I had the new In Flames on Saturday. Here were my thoughts, x-posted from PM: X^2:

---

Considering that In Flames has so many haters ("hata's"?) out there, I always seem to feel obligated to jump on their newest album every time one comes out. My copy of Come Clarity arrived today.

While Come Clarity is a great album, it's more of the same -- despite lots of people claiming that it's some sort of reversal in direction, which it's not -- and it's certainly not going to change anyone's mind about newer In Flames material. If you found something to enjoy about Reroute and/or Soundtrack, then you should dig this one as well. If you didn't like either album, then skip it.

One thing that has changed is the reduced amount of metalcore-y songs with Anders singing clean-ish vocals. There is markedly less "A Touch of Red" type material, in favor of more "Superhero of the Computer Rage" type stuff... in this sense, and this sense alone, it's more reminiscent of older In Flames than much of Soundtrack was. Another interesting moment is the use of some female vocals (non-operatic, thank god) in track 4, "Dead End". As far as I can remember, In Flames hasn't used female vocals in the past at all. It's a nice touch.

Petethedrummer said:
Still not amazing, but I like it much better than Soundtrack
Well, I prefer being kicked repeatedly in the nuts, over listening to "Soundtrack".:loco:

In all seriousness, while it's better, it's not something I feel the need to hear a second time. Part of the problem is, this genre has been beaten to death (no pun intended). The other part of the problem is, those who did it best, have stopped doing it, and instead have attempted to cash in on the Mallcore dollars.

Zod

I have had this disc for months, and I feel like it is a good disc. Granted it doesnt compare with Clayman my personal favorite, but it is a good one. Also I have never really listened to Jester Race or Whoracle. I know I should, but I didnt discover them until Clayman.

this is a horrible cd that is just a continuation of the 2 previous cds. And what is up with the female vocals on that one song. My 16 year old daughter will probably like this cd since it fits in nicely with her Mall screaming bands she likes

AT THE GATES---innovators in melodic and progressive Swedish death metal who created a substance in death metal with less of the influence of hard rock that is present in most "Gothenburg" bands of today. Technique and songwriting heavily influenced black metal and later death metal.

DARK TRANQUILLITY--is the longest standing band from the famed Gothenburg metal scene. Formed way back in 1989, years before...many bands. My personal fav. of them all, and there on tour!!!!

If you think IN FLAMES.. sold out then fine, move on to the next cd. they still have a very unique style. SOILWORK, now there is a band that sold out the sound of gothenburg!!

4acidbath4 said:
If you think IN FLAMES.. sold out then fine...
If you define "selling out" as making a conscious decision to move your music in a direction that's more commercially viable, then they sold out.

4acidbath4 said:
SOILWORK, now there is a band that sold out the sound of gothenburg!!
While I would agree with you that Soilwork is as guilty as In Flames, the difference for me is, I enjoy Soilwork's new sound. Unfortunately for In Flames, they lack a singer capable of handling clean vocals. Consequently, a more melodic sound doesn't fit them as much as it does Soilwork.

Zod

I've been a fan since "The Jester Race", so I've pretty much heard it all with these guys. Seriously, IMO it's sad for a longtime fan to watch their (de)evolution. "TJR", "Whoracle", "Colony" and "Clayman" along with the "Subterranean" and "Black-Ash Inheritance" EP's are all very good to excellent. "R2R", "STYE" & "Come Clarity" just have that feel of a band letting modern influences (both musically and commercially) dictate their direction. Sad, sad state of affairs.

Anyway, on to my mini-review cross posted from the Royal Carnage Forum:

Ok, listened to this again and have the following quick thoughts by song:

1. - Take This Life, Good. Modern sounding but catchy and heavy, with a chorus that sucks you in and for once doesn't make Anders' clean vocals sound like total crap (studio magic obviously). But I really like it.

2. - Leeches, Pathetic. Seriously, garbage is more appealing that this turd.

3. - Reflect the Storm, Above Average. Believe it or not, I like Anders' clean vocal parts much better than the growls on this one, but it works and has a nice, escapist feel to it.

4. - Dead End, Average. The female vocals are nice, but doesn't really lift this track up from the doldrums of boredom. I enjoy the guitar melody solo, but other than that it's very forgettable.

5. - Scream, Pathetic. See the "Leeches" comment - Good Lord, it just sounds like it was made up on the spot and recorded in 2 hours or something. No imagination, just noise and filler.

6. - Come Clarity, good. Now this I like. If it wasn't for Anders' horrible clean vocals during the verses, I'd enjoy it tremendously, but those rotten, whiny, toneless verses ruin what could've been a fantastic song. Love the chorus, love the guitars, like the desparate sounding atmosphere.

7. - Vacuum, Above Average. Catchier, more evolved version of the "modern" In Flames sound (which of course doesn't mean much, but a nice little diversion nevertheless). Nice melodious guitar solo.

8. - Pacing Death's Trail, Good. One of the better tracks on the album, this definitely has the old school In Flames sound circa the "Colony" era. Wish more of the tracks showcased this style. Crunchy, melodious and formulaic In Flames the way I like it.

9. - Crawl Through Knives, Above average. Similar in "old school" style to 'Pacing Death's Trail' with another nice, melodious chorus but again drowned out by some pathetic clean vocals from Anders on the bridges before the choruses. When will he ever learn?? Nice otherwise.

10. - Versus Terminus, Average. Heavy hitter, semi-melodious chorus, not much else. No substance, but not horrible either. Pass.

11. - Our Infinite Struggle, Below average. Monotonous, generic sounding melodic death metal followed by a soft "oh look how versataile and evolved we are" solo. Devoid of creativity.

12. - Vanishing Light, Average. Nice energy, but again, just no substance and straightforward. One melody riff repeated ad-nauseum. Might make a nice live song, but nothing I'd want to listen to over and over again.

13. - Your Bedtime Story is Scaring Everyone, Total Crap. I have no idea what the point is of this piano laden, static filled instrumental, but regardless, it does absolutely nothing for me and is an asinine way for such a formulaic band to end their album. Even diehard fanboys must be left scratching their heads, with everyone else just shrugging and moving on.

Final Verdict: 5.5 out of 10 for a few shining moments and some small glimpses into the history of what once was one of my favorite bands. The lack of creativity begs for a cliché ridden summation, so here it is: Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Jason

Thats why i love Dark Tranquililty because they are staying true to the Gothenburg sound. Can't wait to catch them on the Opeth tour. I will also attend the IN FLAMES show, since its right in my back yard unlike the OPETH/DARK TRANQUILLITY, have to drive an hour and 45min....

4acidbath4 said:
Thats why i love Dark Tranquililty because they are staying true to the Gothenburg sound.

At the very least they haven't lost their "focus" IMO (save for maybe "Haven"). Even the experimental "Projector" album sounded tremendously focused and filled with creativity and ambition, definitely one of their best. Point being that if you're going to let your sound evolve, let it evolve on your own terms and no one else's.

4acidbath4 said:
I will also attend the IN FLAMES show, since its right in my back yard

There's no denying that they still bring it live - I've never seen them put on a show that lacked energy or firepower. Plus, even though their choices are extremely repetitive, at least they do not ignore much of the older stuff.

Jason

Dark One said:
At the very least they haven't lost their "focus" IMO (save for maybe "Haven"). Even the experimental "Projector" album sounded tremendously focused and filled with creativity and ambition, definitely one of their best. Point being that if you're going to let your sound evolve, let it evolve on your own terms and no one else's.

There's no denying that they still bring it live - I've never seen them put on a show that lacked energy or firepower. Plus, even though their choices are extremely repetitive, at least they do not ignore much of the older stuff.

Jason

"Haven" is hands down and far away the best DT cd for my ears. I love that cd.

This whole post seems a no win situation; a band doesn't change and they get "samey and boring". They DO change and they "sell out". Only in metal. :erk: