Introducing People to Theocracy

Arkatox

Anomaly
Who all have you introduced to Theocracy, and how have they reacted? My oldest brother first got me and my middle brother hooked, and from there I've introduced many (but not enough) people to Theocracy.

My dad - I believe it was the one day I went with my dad to work (a while before he fell off a roof and broke both his arms D: ). We listened to Theocracy on the way there and Mirror of Souls on the way back. He loved them, though he hasn't listened to them that much since. He did listen to As the World Bleeds a couple times, though. Reminds him of Stryper (which I still need to listen to).

My youth pastor - This would be the pastor of the church I go to youth group at, since I don't really like the youth pastor of my own church (he's too much of a teen himself). First couple times I introduced him to the band were during long car trips for events the youth group was involved in. He also thought they were awesome and sounded like Stryper. I'm considering lending him As the World Bleeds.

My writing group - I've shared various songs with my writing group on numerous occasions, and usually the reaction is pretty positive. Sometimes I'm told, "They're good, but not really my style." Sometimes, "That was awesome! What are some other good songs?" Occasionally someone tells me that they didn't really care for the band (and at that point I just link Bethlehem, which everyone seems to like, for a good reason). Around the release of AtWB I seemed to constantly be rambling about it and some people got really fed up and sort of developed a grudge against the band. I finally convinced one of them to listen to I AM. She loved the song... but hated the 11 minutes, lol. What actually surprised me is that I was recently chatting with some members of the group and one of them actually told me that they had looked up more of the band after I posted one of the songs a few months back. HECK YES -- THAT'S WHAT YOU CALL SUCCESS! Also, guess what? One of the members said it reminded them of Stryper. DANGIT I NEED TO LISTEN TO THAT BAND!

Pastor of another church - He was in the hospital, so I thought I'd brighten up his day by introducing him to Theocracy. He looked up Martyr, but it wasn't his style. Shame, because it's an awesome song. By an awesome band. I just posted Bethlehem on his wall today.

Charlie Dominici - So yeah... this one was just today. Charlie Dominici and I are friends, of a sort. Charlie was the vocalist of Dream Theater for their first album, When Dream and Day Unite, and formed his own band, Dominici, a decade and a half later. A couple years ago I added him on Facebook and, surprisingly, he liked me. This is surprising because he can get pretty darn pissed at his Facebook friends. But since I wasn't spamming his wall or sending him a million invites or requests, we sorta became friends. I hadn't talked to him in a long time, but today I asked him if he'd heard of Theocracy. He said no, but he'd look them up. I desperately hope that he likes them, because that would be awesome! I'm trying to figure out how to introduce John Petrucci (Dream Theater guitarist all 26 years) to them, but that'll be pretty dang hard to do, considering he's a key member in one of the most well-known prog metal bands in like... the world. He'll be a lot harder to contact.

As far as I can remember, those are all or most of the people I've introduced to Theocracy. I need to introduce more, though. Come to think of it, I once sent Mountain to my youth pastor (the one I don't like because he's too much of a teen himself) and he loved it. But he's probably forgotten it by now, since that was so long ago. My brother, just a few days ago, burned some CDs with Theocracy on them for his girlfriend as a Christmas gift. She's not into metal at all -- heck, I think Newsboys is her favorite band :guh: -- but I hope she at least likes it a little bit.

So yeah, who all have you guys introduced to Theocracy?

P.S. I really, really need to listen to Stryper. :p

EDIT: I forgot to mention, a very close online friend of mine read my article on my Top Ten Stories of All Time and took the liberty to listen to the story that made first place -- Mirror of Souls. She's not into metal and, frankly, I don't care for the stuff she's into, but she thought the song was awesome. It surprised me, but made me really happy. :D

"They're good, but not really my style."

I have one bit of experienced advice: don't spend any time getting bummed when people don't like them, or you will be constantly disappointed. 90% of people in America will never like metal at all. And of the 10% who do, 90% of them will never like power metal at all. It doesn't matter how good the band is. That's just reality. Don't take it personally (on behalf of the band).

The same works in reverse. You could bring me all the best death metal bands in the world and now matter who great they are, I am just never going to dig it - that's not the style of music that appeals to me.

If people are getting a grudge against the band due to you pushing them, then you are doing it wrong (either suggesting it to the wrong people or doing it too often).

For me, I stopped trying to spread it to the groups that will never like it and try to focus my efforts on those who might reasonably become a fan. I've had the most luck with friends who have never heard power metal, but like Christian bands in other metal genres.

sounded like Stryper
I don't like stryper too much, and I honestly don't think Theocracy sound like them.

I introduced many friends to Theocracy, but I'm sad because I know most of them won't buy the albums... (here in France 90% people don't buy the music they listen to it seems).
Most of them aren't into metal (some listen to raggae, others to epic symphonic music, etc...), but they like some of the songs (Martyr works well with everyone it seems ! Even a friend of mine, who can't stand the fact to listen to christian music, must admit that this song is a killer :D).

Can anyone point me to a Stryper song that sounds anything like Theocracy? Because from what I've heard, I wouldn't call the two bands similar at all beyond the fact that they're both Christian and metal.

I think Laying the Demon to Rest or 30 Pieces of Silver are good starting points for people who are into metal. For non-metal fans, I'd suggest Mountain, On Eagles Wings, or Hide in the Fairytale. I also think Altar to the Unknown God is a song that would have a broad appeal.

I don't like stryper too much, and I honestly don't think Theocracy sound like them.

I introduced many friends to Theocracy, but I'm sad because I know most of them won't buy the albums... (here in France 90% people don't buy the music they listen to it seems).
Most of them aren't into metal (some listen to raggae, others to epic symphonic music, etc...), but they like some of the songs (Martyr works well with everyone it seems ! Even a friend of mine, who can't stand the fact to listen to christian music, must admit that this song is a killer :D).

Martyr doesn't work at all for me. When people tell me they'll look up Theocracy they'll usually search it on YouTube and, until 30 Pieces of Silver came out, it was always the top result. Then they'd listen to it and find it too heavy or something and then don't listen anymore. That's why I then send them Bethlehem, since everyone seems to love it. :D

Can anyone point me to a Stryper song that sounds anything like Theocracy? Because from what I've heard, I wouldn't call the two bands similar at all beyond the fact that they're both Christian and metal.

They're similar music style and I think that's about it. After listening to the Stryper that I did, I think I can say that Theocracy is much better in both music and lyric quality. I still respect the band, though, as they were the first to do many things that have led to Christian metal as it is today.

I think Laying the Demon to Rest or 30 Pieces of Silver are good starting points for people who are into metal. For non-metal fans, I'd suggest Mountain, On Eagles Wings, or Hide in the Fairytale. I also think Altar to the Unknown God is a song that would have a broad appeal.

A friend of mine wrote a book that really reminded me of Laying the Demon to Rest. He was a metal fan, so he really enjoyed the song when I sent it to him. Unfortunately, I don't have very many friends who are into metal, so I need to pick Theocracy's lighter songs. The ones you mentioned are good, along with Bethlehem (because, as I mentioned a million times, everyone seems to love Bethlehem).

I happen to be responsible for bringing FleshAndBloodTheocracy into this realm... Or, at least, I helped accelerate his arrival in the likely event that he would eventually find out about Theocracy anyway.

I introduced Theocracy to a small number of people, and I keep doing so whenever I have the opportunity.

I've been into Stryper for decades. Theocracy is NOTHING like them!
They're not even metal. Glam, yes, but not metal. Not really...
Check 'em out - there's some good songs. Just don't expect too much.

Every Christmas I send someone a cd of Theocracy Christmas songs or e-mail the link to the club of souls.
This year I received one return e-mail saying: "Awesome!"
Maybe we have a new convert!

No such song exists. When these people say "it sounds like Stryper", they mean exactly what you said - it's metal and Christian. These people are not into metal, so to their ears it all sounds the same. To us metalheads, we know they do not sound alike.

I've been into Stryper for decades. Theocracy is NOTHING like them! They're not even metal. Glam, yes, but not metal. Not really...

Glam metal, my friend, glam metal (aka hair metal). Don't you be calling my first metal genre love non-metal! :bah:

I think the closest music to Theocracy is Avantasia. or at least the first two albums:

When I mentioned them to someone he said that he heard they sound similar to... Metallica. Yes, that is exactly what people had told him about Theocracy. It was back when Mirror of Souls was recently released. I told him about Avantasia, so he said he will check them out, but I've never asked him if he did :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Glam metal they used to be.
Just plain rock now.

Well, that's a different contention now, isn't it? Listening to Reborn and Murder By Pride I'm still hearing the metal elements, but as with any bands that hang out near the boundary of rock and metal, it can be a close call (often some of each).