Introducing People to Theocracy

Dear HITFRMLAAOP President,

In your role as moderator, don't you think it's time we started a thread:
"Introducing Young Theocracy Fans to Stryper"?

=P

For some crazy reason Murder By Pride and Stryper's new covers album are unavailable on Australian iTunes.

My nephew that's 13 years old likes Theocracy a lot. I didn't really introduce it to him. His bedroom is next to mine and I have a home stereo system. So after bumpin AtWB for weeks straight along with MoS (just got that a few weeks ago), one day he told me "I like the music you listen to in there" I asked "The metal or the rap?" He said "all of it" lol. So I told him it's Theocracy, Lecrae, and Bizzle. Didn't bother to tell him they're all Christian artist.

I didn't think he'd really look much into it. But after checking my internet history after a week, I noticed he was trying hard to listen to songs from AtWB and would always go back to listen to 30 Pieces and Theocracy-Theocracy a lot (he was trying hard to find I Am). So I gave him my MoS and AtWB cd's to burn onto his Xbox. He's been bumpin em every day ever since, so he really likes em.

Eventually he found out they were a Christian band, and that kinda made him like em even more ^_^

I introduced it to my niece that's 14. She really liked the instrumentals when I played "I Am" and "The Gift of Music" but not so much Matts voice cause she's really into the scream and growl type stuff. Yet she still admits how talented his voice is. So she wouldn't bump it in her room, but still likes to jam to it in the car.

I converted one of my friend's friend, but pretty much none of my friends like metal. most of them only listen to contemporary songs by artists like 'Chris Tomlin' and that awful new pop by 'tobymac'. He actually used to be good, but now he FAILS!\

So, I have one person I have brought to you guys....:( I will try harder.......

then again, I wonder how many people have seen my promotional video that I don't know about. Maybe I made them fans too! I should make a video for Nailed. It is already on youtube, so no one could get another song to steal.....

First off, I love stryper.
Second off, even my non metalhead friends like theocracy. People say I have a way with words, especially when it comes to swaying people towards a certain opinion. Lots of my friends like Theocracy, and my dads friends at work like them too. Lots of computer tech metalheads where he works lol

Well, some of my friends might even get in trouble for listening to metal......:zombie:

Don't ask me why, I am not their parents.....

All teenagers do. When you become a parent, you'll understand exactly why they do it, and probably do it yourself! :p (maybe not re metal, but I mean in general)

All teenagers do. When you become a parent, you'll understand exactly why they do it, and probably do it yourself! :p (maybe not re metal, but I mean in general)

No, I'm not referring to my parents. I'm referring to the parents of people I know. Often kids that are home-schooled by their parents to turn out not very smart at all. I'm not knocking home-schoolers; I was home-schooled through 8th grade myself, and some of the smartest people I know were home-schooled. But I've met too many other home-schoolers who are several years older than their smartness level due to horrible schooling. Not to mention said people often believe things (in absolute) that are totally wrong just because their over-protective parents told them, making them very biased and ignorant. Just a couple examples, things such as the idea Harry Potter or Pokemon are demonic. I can maaaaaaybe understand HP, but still, it's utterly ridiculous all that I've seen and heard from over-protected kids. I consider myself a little over-protected, but I know people who would put my over-protectedness to SHAME.

Sorry for the rant. You provoked it. :rolleyes:

Over-protecting is good in my opinion. I'm all for it but in reality it's only effective if the kid chooses to abide by it. And if you protect them enough, then they probably will.

Haha, no worries, I get your point. Still, it sounds like those parents are trying the best they can. If the choice is over-protective vs. under-protective, over-protective is more likely to bring about a healthy adult. When I compare those parents with the ones I see bringing their 5 year olds to violent rated-R movies, I give those "Harry Potter's demonic!" kids a better shot at actually making it in adulthood. They can learn and experience their way out of that as an adult, but the kids exposed to adult-level violence aren't going to be so fortunate.

Obviously the optimal goal is the right amount of protectiveness (which neither of our scenarios are) :D

I've tried to introduce people to the awesomeness that is Theocracy but most reject it because it's just "different". My success rate is about 1 in 10. Out here in on the west coast you never hear power metal anywhere. Metalcore, Screamo, and Punk dominate the music scenes and alternative and pop rock dominate the airwaves . Honestly the fact that I even like Theocracy is miraculous to say the least because I grew up on nu metal and metalcore.

I introduced my Dad to Theocracy with Rudolph vs. Frosty, his first comment being, "Hey, they're good!"
He's been as big of a fan as I am ever since.

Over-protecting is good in my opinion. I'm all for it but in reality it's only effective if the kid chooses to abide by it. And if you protect them enough, then they probably will.

Isn't "over" protectiveness inherently not a good thing, by definition?

Anyways, I've always thought it would be a lot better to teach kids how to protect themselves. Then it's not parent vs. child thing--make sure the child knows you're not against him--you're on his side. What good is protection anyway if the heart is in rebellion?

Oh yeah, and don't "protect" them from GOOD things, like POWER METAL!!! :)

In today's society, over-protecting is greater than regular protecting because there's much worse stuff than their used to be. I hope that made sense. I think I'm living on about 20 minutes of sleep right now.

I think the definition of "over-protective" depends on the group you're talking about ("over" relative to what?). In a lot of cases, what most of us would consider regular protecting, society would consider over-protecting. For example, I remember when my nephew started playing rated M Call of Duty games at age 10 or 11. When I pulled my brother aside and registered my concern at the negative impact on him, he said that if he didn't let him play it, he would literally be the only parent not allowing it for the 10-11 year old group of neighborhood/school kids and he was concerned about leaving his son isolated when "everyone else is doing it". I'd have called it the right amount of protecting to make him wait, but society and everyone around them would call it over-protecting. I think that's part of where Rawshik was going.