Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

Speaking for myself -- a fan since 1981 who bought The Number of the Beast on cassette when he was 12 -- I have bought the four albums including/since Brave New World. Guessing I'm not alone either.

I love the classic maiden just as much as the modern maiden.

Edit: I do like the classic maiden a bit more, but to be sure, TFF is as enjoyable to me as anything they've done.

Not alone, but obviously, a lot of fans did not. If you compare the number of people who go to their shows with their album sales, it seems that there's a lot of people who will see them live that didn't (at least in 2000) care much for their newer material.

Not alone, but obviously, a lot of fans did not. If you compare the number of people who go to their shows with their album sales, it seems that there's a lot of people who will see them live that didn't (at least in 2000) care much for their newer material.

Yeah but you're not taking into account the fans that have those albums but never payed a cent for them therefore were not tracked.

It's been very interesting reading this thread. And, I must agree that this album definately "grows" on you. Although I will forever hate Tracks 1 and 2 no matter what :devil:.

It's so strange...when I first heard the album, I was stunned...and thought to myself "what the hell is this?". But after spinning it several times it is finally grabbing me. I still however enjoy the 2nd half of the CD much better than the 1st half. And even though people don't seem to be going nuts over "Where the wild wind blows" I can't stop playing it... I have fallen head over heels over that song.

I'm on my third listen and to be honest, it's one of the few albums this year I want to keep playing over and over. I really like it. The only song I'm iffy on is "El Dorado", which doesn't seem as bad now as it did. I still don't like Bruce's vocal performance on it though. I love "Coming Home." As some people have said, it really does seem like a song that would be on a Dickinson solo album. "Where the Wind Blows" is just phenomenal. I think this may end up being one of my favorites of the year. Not at the top but possibly top 5 or 10.

As many of y'all here know by now, Maiden is my favorite band of all-time! This album is what i thought it would be. More of the same. UP THE IRONS!

I'm on my third listen and to be honest, it's one of the few albums this year I want to keep playing over and over. I really like it. The only song I'm iffy on is "El Dorado", which doesn't seem as bad now as it did. I still don't like Bruce's vocal performance on it though. I love "Coming Home." As some people have said, it really does seem like a song that would be on a Dickinson solo album. "Where the Wind Blows" is just phenomenal. I think this may end up being one of my favorites of the year. Not at the top but possibly top 5 or 10.

I'm just not feeling "Where The Wild Wind Blows", I think it's one of the weakest songs on the new album IMO. There are a lot of people who have mentioned how much they really like it so maybe I'm crazy....lol. I actually read an interview with Nicko where he said that "Where The Wild Wind Blows" was the second best song Steve Harris had EVER written, only behind "Hallowed Be Thy Name"??? That's quite a stretch if you ask me, considering all the great stuff Harris has written.

"Mother Of Mercy" is my favorite off the new album, with "Isle of Avalon" a close second. Has anyone else noticed a similarity with the melodies of the new album and the album Seventh Son of A Seventh Son? One example I can think of is "Isle of Avalon" and the song "Seventh Son of A Seventh Son" (specifically the breakdown beginning at about the 4:20 mark), the drum and guitar parts are very similar in certain spots.

I'm just not feeling "Where The Wild Wind Blows", I think it's one of the weakest songs on the new album IMO. There are a lot of people who have mentioned how much they really like it so maybe I'm crazy....lol. I actually read an interview with Nicko where he said that "Where The Wild Wind Blows" was the second best song Steve Harris had EVER written, only behind "Hallowed Be Thy Name"??? That's quite a stretch if you ask me, considering all the great stuff Harris has written.

"Mother Of Mercy" is my favorite off the new album, with "Isle of Avalon" a close second. Has anyone else noticed a similarity with the melodies of the new album and the album Seventh Son of A Seventh Son? One example I can think of is "Isle of Avalon" and the song "Seventh Son of A Seventh Son" (specifically the breakdown beginning at about the 4:20 mark), the drum and guitar parts are very similar in certain spots.

What's interesting is how on this forum so many people are split on what songs are their favorites and least favorites. I will agree though that saying "Where the Wind Blows" as Harris' second best song is a huge stretch.

I have just started getting into Where the Wild Wind Blows, but I like it a lot.
Musically, even though it's longer, it doesn't have the breakdowns that Alvalon, Man who would be, and StarBlind have that blow me away.
It's a nice tune though. I like the Talisman, but the intro is about 4 bars too long...however once it kicks in...magic.
I am really digging The Alchemist as well...and I have sort of warmed up more to El Dorado it sounds better on CD than that mp3.
For some reason Bruce's voice sounded "too" raw on the mp3, but the CD fixes it. Not sure what the difference is.
Still loving this CD, although (like most CD's) to keep things fresh I am putting it on shuffle as of today.
Still don't like the intro to The Final Frontier...why did they do that it's basically noise.
I wish it was an additional track, as I would listen to The Final Frontier by itself.
The intro reminds me of something like Rocket from Def Leppard...I don't know.
I still think that musically this a very good CD.

Probably not, considering when they tour before an album is released, they usually only play the first single from the album. When they do a proper tour, they dump 5-7 new songs in the set.

I attribute it to the cheap first-week sales prices at Best Buy: $9.99, $11.99, etc.

The sale price helps a bit.
Though don't you think there are a LOT of older fans who go to see Maiden who only find out they even have a new album whenever the band tours? I mean, it's not like new Maiden material is plugged on radio stations.

Here in Chicago, there are only two larger stations who would possibly play Maiden, in 97.9 The Loop and 95.1 WILL Rock. I have not heard either play new Maiden material. The closest I heard were commercials for ther show this summer.

Therefore, I would say that there has been a LOT of hype this summer from Maiden due to their tour, which I believe has aided in the amount of CD sales for the first week of release.

Rod Smallwood and Maiden are no dummies... they know they won't get airplay, so what do they do? They tour before a new album...brilliant! Although they should have played something other than El Dorado :puke:
Man I hate that song :heh:

*From Ultimate-Guitar

Iron Maiden Planning Another Best of Tour

Iron Maiden are planning a best-of tour in the spirit of 2008’s Somewhere Back In Time outing – after they’ve hit the road to fully support new album The Final Frontier.

Their last world trek, documented in the band’s first movie Flight 666, helped bring them a new generation of fans. But it also seems to have re-fired their songwriting skills as their chart-topping 15th record boasts some of their most acclaimed work in many years.

That could be why singer Bruce Dickinson wants to dig into the archives again. But first, he wants to perform more songs from The Final Frontier, since their current tour only features the track El Dorado.

He tells the Sun: "At the start of every tour we think this will be the last one. By the end we’re disappointed and we think, ‘Is this is?’ So we’ll carry on as long as we’re having fun.

"We’ll be back to tour this album, and after that we should be looking at a big resumé tour – an unashamed tour with all the greatest hits."

When the band announced the title of their album some fans wondered if it might be the end of the band, especially since mainman Steve Harris had often said they'd record 15 records then stop. But several band members have quashed those rumours and now it seems they're set to stay around for a few years at least.

But while they're on the crest of a huge wave of popularity right now – based, Dickinson says, on being "simple and straightforward and giving our fans what they want" – you won’t find any rock star extravagance backstage.

"We got rid of most of our rider," he explains. "We just have three loaves of white bread, some butter, a tin of tuna and some beers. People come backstage looking for the spread of food and we say, ‘Go and make yourself a sandwich’."

*From Ultimate-Guitar

Iron Maiden Planning Another Best of Tour

Iron Maiden are planning a best-of tour in the spirit of 2008’s Somewhere Back In Time outing – after they’ve hit the road to fully support new album The Final Frontier.

"We’ll be back to tour this album, and after that we should be looking at a big resumé tour – an unashamed tour with all the greatest hits."

Good to hear they will tour to fully support the new album before doing another, "Best of" tour. I've heard the classics live so many times, I really have no interest in seeing them performed live again with exception of a 2-3 during the encore (Hallowed Be Thy Name being the only must for me).

The last time I seen Maiden was in 2000 on the BNW tour (Chicago and Milwaukee). DOD and AMOLAD were good, but not enough to get me out on the road to see them again. For me, TFF is easily their best since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and I'm finally looking forward again to going to another Maiden concert.

As I expected, their next tour may be the new album in its entirety.
I would have NO problem with it, as I love the new one more and more with each listen.

I am ok with a follow up hits tour, but I hope they dig a bit deeper than the usual standards.

For me, TFF is easily their best since Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and I'm finally looking forward again to going to another Maiden concert.

You know, last week, I would have disagreed, and said it's their best since BRAVE NEW WORLD.

TFF is slowly but surely rising to the top of the 21st Century Maiden releases for me. Should be there for certain within a few more listens.

As much as I enjoyed this last tour, I'll probably wait till the next hits tour before seeing them again. I love the energy of those classic songs, and really want to take my kid to an Iron Maiden show where he actually knows some of the songs.

I would have NO problem with it, as I love the new one more and more with each listen.

That would be awesome if they did! Or if they don't, heavily focus on TFF and fill in the rest with best-of from the three previous albums -- especially since a classics tour will follow.

"Nostalgia" doesn't get me to concerts anymore. Besides ticket prices costing around $75, I also have to make a 200+ mile minimum road trip (round-trip), pay for gas, lodging, and food. For that price, I want to hear something new and fresh, not something I've heard a thousand times before. Same thing for buying new CDs. I don't buy a band's new release because I'm nostalgic for an album and sound they created 20 years ago. I pay $15 for a CD because the new release is quality music to my ears and justifies the cost -- not because their release two decades ago was music to my ears then.

Whatever Maiden does I'll be there to support them. Its the least I can do for giving me 30 plus years of fucking great music. They always bring it no matter what and I admire them for that.

I am ok with a follow up hits tour, but I hope they dig a bit deeper than the usual standards.

I wouldn't mind. This is my favorite of the new ones except for maybe AMOLAD and I was pissed when I didn't get to see that tour.

I am also with you though that if they do another hits tour, I'd like to see them dig deeper. I would love to hear "Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter" someday live.