Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier

I wouldn't mind. This is my favorite of the new ones except for maybe AMOLAD and I was pissed when I didn't get to see that tour.

As much as I do enjoy AMOLAD, it was a bit hard to get through straight through live. It was cool and all, but easily the least enjoyable Maiden show of all time for me. I cheerish it still as it was unique, but that's about it.

Furthermore, the encore consisting of nothing rare didn't help either.

The new album has really grown on me. Knock off that crappy 4 min 35 sec intro and the cd is really solid.

As I expected, their next tour may be the new album in its entirety.
I would have NO problem with it, as I love the new one more and more with each listen.

I am ok with a follow up hits tour, but I hope they dig a bit deeper than the usual standards.
+1 on both points. I realize we're probably not going to get "Alexander the Great" at this point, but I'd at least like a few songs that haven't been played in the past decade.

As I expected, their next tour may be the new album in its entirety.

I think you guys may be counting some unhatched chickens here.

The interview was given to a UK newspaper, so he was referring to the UK. What he meant was that since they've done only one show in the UK on this cycle (and it was part of a festival), they would be back to do more UK shows as part of a proper tour. So sure, it seems very likely that they would spend some time touring Europe and perhaps some other places in support of The Final Frontier, playing much (or even all) of the album.

It seems much more unlikely that they would come back to North America to play 'The Final Frontier', since they've already been here on a tour they call "The Final Frontier Tour". What would they call the one where they play the whole album? "The Second Final Frontier Tour, The One Where We Play The Album, And Sorry For Incorrectly Using The Word 'Final' In That Last Tour"?

If they *did* return to North America to do more Final Frontier stuff, and then did another greatest-hits after that, that would be three separate tours based on one album cycle, which is unheard of in recent Maiden history. Add in the fact that even though they only played one TFF song this time, the whole setlist was very "new Maiden"-oriented, so that doesn't leave a lot of room for something different between this last tour and a greatest hits tour.

Neil

It seems much more unlikely that they would come back to North America to play 'The Final Frontier', since they've already been here on a tour they call "The Final Frontier Tour".

Sure they would, it'll still be called The Final Frontier but it's just another leg. I saw 2 legs of the Somewhere Back in Time tour in Mexico in 2008 and 2009. Same tour name and they had different setlists and everything.

I think it would be highly unlikely that they won't tour the US with mostly TFF material.

If they *did* return to North America to do more Final Frontier stuff, and then did another greatest-hits after that, that would be three separate tours based on one album cycle, which is unheard of in recent Maiden history. Add in the fact that even though they only played one TFF song this time, the whole setlist was very "new Maiden"-oriented, so that doesn't leave a lot of room for something different between this last tour and a greatest hits tour.

Neil

You may well be right, but I hope your more wrong than right. :) Some points that support Maiden doing a proper tour supporting TFF...

When is the last time Maiden toured the US to support an album and only played one song from that new album? Ever?

Has any Maiden album sounded this good in recent Maiden history? Doesn't that justify another tour leg? You stated that this might someday end up being your favorite Maiden disc.

TFF debuted at #4 in the US Billboard charts. Is that an incentive NOT to do a proper tour supporting TFF in the USA?

How many additional T-shirts could they sell doing a tour fully supporting TFF than if they didn't tour fully supporting TFF?

In 2008, Maiden did a retrospective, "Somewhere Back In Time" tour in the USA. If they are planning another, "Best of" tour for the USA featuring the songs from the archive, then the only tour in between those two tribute tours will have been the current tour -- which featured only one new song from the past four years. And as much as I like El Dorado, it is hardly representative of a disc that is enjoying so much success.

Maiden just pulled their biggest crowd in Chicago back on July 18 with the following setlist that was heavy on material written since 2000. Doesn't that bode well for a proper tour supporting TFF?

The Wicker Man
Ghost Of The Navigator
Wrathchild
El Dorado
Dance Of Death
The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
These Colours Don't Run
Blood Brothers
Wildest Dreams
No More Lies
Brave New World
Fear Of The Dark
Iron Maiden
Encore:
The Number of the Beast
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Running Free

Sure they would, it'll still be called The Final Frontier but it's just another leg. I saw 2 legs of the Somewhere Back in Time tour in Mexico in 2008 and 2009. Same tour name and they had different setlists and everything.

I think it would be highly unlikely that they won't tour the US with mostly TFF material.

This. Again, I highly doubt they'd skip doing a tour of the States without touring TFF album. Happens all the time that bands do second legs. However, I think if they do it will be a smaller tour, maybe changing up a lot of the locations that didn't get this most recent tour.

You may well be right, but I hope your more wrong than right. :)

Me too! :)

When is the last time Maiden toured the US to support an album and only played one song from that new album? Ever?

2003. Exact same situation as this tour, they toured the US just before the release of 'Dance of Death', and played one song from it. On the proper "Dance of Death" tour, they only returned to play 2 US cities (and 2 in Canada), so hardly a "tour" as has been the expectation in this thread.

Has any Maiden album sounded this good in recent Maiden history? Doesn't that justify another tour leg? You stated that this might someday end up being your favorite Maiden disc.

Unfortunately what I think of an album is irrelevant to Iron Maiden's touring plans. They didn't play AMOLAD in its entirety because people loved it, quite the contrary in fact!

TFF debuted at #4 in the US Billboard charts. Is that an incentive NOT to do a proper tour supporting TFF in the USA?

Normally, yes. For 50-something guys who have said that they want to minimize their touring, that incentive has to be balanced with other desires.

In 2008, Maiden did a retrospective, "Somewhere Back In Time" tour in the USA. If they are planning another, "Best of" tour for the USA featuring the songs from the archive, then the only tour in between those two tribute tours will have been the current tour

That would repeat the previous pattern, where they did the early Best-of on Ozzfest, then AMOLAD, then the later Best-of. Sure, they didn't play TFF on this last tour, but it was all "new stuff", so it would keep the alternating old-stuff/new-stuff pattern going.

Maiden just pulled their biggest crowd in Chicago back on July 18 with the following setlist that was heavy on material written since 2000. Doesn't that bode well for a proper tour supporting TFF?

Perhaps, though maybe they wish to avoid saturation. Drawing 18,000 and 18,000 is more bang-for-their-buck than drawing 18,000, 12,000, and 12,000. These dudes are in good shape, but they're still old!

Yeah, they might come and do a secondary-market tour, or some sort of festival, or limited dates, but repeating what they just did, in the same cities (which would effectively be two shows in a row of "new stuff") just seems unlikely.

Neil

2003. Exact same situation as this tour, they toured the US just before the release of 'Dance of Death', and played one song from it. On the proper "Dance of Death" tour, they only returned to play 2 US cities (and 2 in Canada), so hardly a "tour" as has been the expectation in this thread.

Neil

Ticky-Tack here, but if the following source is accurate, they played five dates in the US (but only NY and LA) in full support of Dance of Death (i.e. they played multiple songs from the new disc, not just one which was my point). To your point, not a proper tour for sure, but the dates they did play in the US to fully support Dance of Death featured many tracks (in red) from that CD:

January 24, 2004 (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY): Wildest Dreams, Wrathchild, Can I Play With Madness, The Trooper, Dance Of Death, Rainmaker, Brave New World, Paschendale, Lord Of The Flies, No More Lies, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden.

January 23 and 26, 2004 (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY): Wildest Dreams, Wrathchild, Can I Play With Madness, The Trooper, Dance Of Death, Rainmaker, Brave New World, Paschendale, Lord Of The Flies, No More Lies, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden. Encore: Journeyman, The Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills.

January 30 and 31, 2004 (Universal Amphitheater, Universal City, CA): Wildest Dreams, Wrathchild, Can I Play With Madness, The Trooper, Dance Of Death, Rainmaker, Brave New World, Paschendale, Lord Of The Flies, No More Lies, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear Of The Dark, Iron Maiden. Encore: Journeyman, The Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills.

Furthermore, with TFF projected to sell 25,000 to 30,000 more copies than DOD during their respective first week of sales in the USA, Rod Smallwood and the guys have 25,000 - 30,000 more reasons to justify a tour, of any size, in the USA that features 5-6 songs from TFF. TFF is good enough that I would consider flying out to NY if it's only one of two cities they play in full support of TFF, especially if they play multiple dates there.

Of course, I'd hope that they would play many more cities than two. We'll probably know their plans by Christmas.

It seems to me it's got the complexity of AMoLaD, but with catchier melodies and vocal lines. I'm getting these songs stuck in my head on a regular basis.

My thoughts exactly. The whole disc flows - each note seems perfectly placed compared to certain songs on the previous three discs that start out great, but take some unexpected turns for the worse with a quirky chorus or verse that doesn't flow with the rest of the song. That's why I like TFF better than any of the three other post-reunion discs. TFF takes what works best about those discs, discards what doesn't, and adds a few new flashes to give TFF it's own unique identity.

Even though this disc is the longest in Maiden history at 76 minutes, it certainly doesn't play that way to my ear.

I think the 2003 tour Neil is referring to is the GIVE ME ED TIL I'M DEAD, where they played WILDEST DREAMS.

I guess that was never called the DANCE OF DEATH tour though.

I am sure they will be back, esp after that chart position, and highly successful tour this summer.

That's just absurd to suggest that calling this last tour THE FINAL FRONTIER would even hint at the possibility of being their last tour. Its just the name for the album. If it were called anything else, there would be no hogwash talk of this being the LAST album.

It's in their blood. They all seem healthy.
I am sure there will be more albums and tours.

Neil - I do like you, and think you are a good guy and all, but I sometimes wonder if the only reason you ever log on is to refute everyone's statements....

Neil - I do like you, and think you are a good guy and all, but I sometimes wonder if the only reason you ever log on is to refute everyone's statements....

He's not the only one (look for the forum member with over 11,470 posts credited to his name) ;).

It's obvious some people come to this forum just for the joy of debate - not because they are truly passionate or believe in the counterpoints they present to a different individual's ideas or opinions. There are times where you swear if you would have argued, "point B" instead of "point A", they would have instead argued "point A" instead of "point B." :dopey: They aren't trolls*, but there comes a point when their argument becomes so weak you need to treat them like trolls and just ignore them. Chances are, just like trolls, they enjoy trying to pull somebody's chain every so often.

*They are actually lawyers.

Ticky-Tack here, but...

heh...yes, since your whole post was just a more detailed version of exactly what I said! Who's making arguments out of nothing now? :) Sorry for not posting my source, I guess that would have made it a lot easier. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Iron_Maiden_concert_tours It makes it very easy to get an overview and see the pattern that they've followed. So we completely agree about their past history.

And in that history, they've never done a real US tour in support of a studio album later than 3 or 4 months after the album was released. Also, with the exception of the World Slavery Tour 25 years ago, they've never done two separate legs or tours in the US less than a year apart from each other.

So for them to do another US tour/leg in support of 'The Final Frontier', they'll have to break one of those two patterns that they haven't broken in 25 years. It's certainly not impossible for that to happen ("past performance is no guarantee of future results"!), it just doesn't rise to the likelihood that I felt was being expressed in this thread. So I thought I'd mention it so that a year from now I don't hear about how Bruce lied to us about coming back to play more from 'The Final Frontier' in the US, cuz that's not what he was talking about in that interview.

I'm a critical thinker. I never read things just to criticize them, I only read things that are interesting or informative to me. But as I read them, I think critically about every single line I read. It's an inborn trait that comes to me whether I'm reading a newspaper, a non-fiction book, or a message board. In the case of the first two mediums, my questions/comments/fact-checks only fire in my head, but on a message board, I can talk directly to the author, so I do, in the interests of promoting rigorous thinking and discussion. It's probably hard for you to notice, but there are many people here who have never raised a criticism from me, which should show that I don't refute statements just for the fun of it. There are lots of authors, reporters, and message-board posters who approach their subjects with thoughtful rigor, and those are the ones who are absolute pleasure to read, since the critical voice in my head can shut the hell up for a while.

Neil

My thoughts exactly. The whole disc flows - each note seems perfectly placed compared to certain songs on the previous three discs that start out great, but take some unexpected turns for the worse with a quirky chorus or verse that doesn't flow with the rest of the song. That's why I like TFF better than any of the three other post-reunion discs. TFF takes what works best about those discs, discards what doesn't, and adds a few new flashes to give TFF it's own unique identity.

Even though this disc is the longest in Maiden history at 76 minutes, it certainly doesn't play that way to my ear.

Very true. I feel this as well.