Jaxx Night Club for Sale

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I saw the news over on the Brave Words forum and then confirmed it at their website:

Jaxx is for SALE!
Owner Jay Nedry will discuss any offers
Call him at 703-542-5656​

Mike? Matt? Any comments? This could mean a change in the way tours are booked on the East Coast simply because of the routing.​

I saw the news over on the Brave Words forum and then confirmed it at their website:

Jaxx is for SALE!
Owner Jay Nedry will discuss any offers
Call him at 703-542-5656​

Mike? Matt? Any comments? This could mean a change in the way tours are booked on the East Coast simply because of the routing.​
Whoa! NO WAY!!!!

That sucks. :-( It has been a great place to go for shows that is "relatively" close. It has also been a great place to play and open for nationals, etc... I wish I had the money! I'd love to keep up the metal tradition there.

BTW Glenn, there is an AWESOME place in downtown Baltimore called the Ram's Head Live! Great location, great sound, clean, one of my favorite venues all around!! It may be a bit on the large side for most bands that we know and love (~1,500), but I thought you might want to know.

A sad day in the mid-Atlantic... :cry:

Glenn why don't you buy it??? Just kidding, just a thought, or get a group and buy it. If I were closer i would defiently look into it.

When I retire from this concert scene, I would indeed like to take a shot at my own bar. However, flip-flops, an outside deck, boat drinks, and Buffett on the stereo is my plan.
Sounds like your retirement plan and mine are similar. Perhaps you can locate your bar next to my cigar store? Our plan is to retire somewhere in the Caribbean.

Zod

:OMG::OMG:

Holy Effing Shit!!!!! I hope that the club stays around and is sold to a good owner.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jay when my friend SkiBumMSP and I went to Jaxx in October to see SA and FW. Very nice guy.

I do wonder why he's selling it NOW? Is it losing money? Or is he just getting tired of it all?? :ill:

Hope it doesn't go to some large conglomerate!!!!! Keep Live Nation away! (though I doubt they'd touch it with a 10 foot pole!)

:cry::cry:

From what I understand, he does not have anyone who understands metal helping him book the bands like he did in the past.

I read this news last night on the Jaxx website. I know alot of people do not like Jaxx, and believe me I've seen some shows there that had bad sound, but for the last 5 years Jaxx has been my home for metal shows. I don't want to see Jaxx change, go under, or change from a metal venue...hopefully that won't happen. Jay has to do what he has to do.

I'll be at Jaxx tonight for Trail of Tears!!!!

I've never been to Jaxx, but a similar thing happened here in Philly at Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ. It was about 70 minutes from me, but they used to get every tour that hit Jaxx. The owner sold, and I think they tore the place down.

Now, most metal bands are split among three small-ish venues in Philly (Troc, TLA, and Electric Factory). However, we miss a few that do BB King's in NY, and then VA's Jaxx. I could just about swing a work night show at Birch Hill, but the other two are a little too far for that.

Hopefully the same thing doesn't happen to Virginia if Jaxx is indeed sold.

Steve in Philly

It's awesome there. We're actually taking a trip to Costa Rica to look at buying property. Never been, just here it has a lot of advantages for Americans wishing to move there.

Zod

I've heard the same although I've also heard that the influx of expats over the past several years has appreciably driven up property values in Costa Rica. Still, when compared with the US, I'm sure there are values to be had especially if you get away from San Jose (apparently expats started buying there then fanned outward). Like you, I've never been to Costa Rica (yet) so I have no first-hand knowledge to report, only what I've heard and read.

Maybe Jay is just tired of the nonsense. It is a lot of stress with Dram Shop Laws, Insurance, Emploment Law, Food handling, and dealing with the Prima Donnas that you need to deal with. It becomes a real pain in the tochas. That said, it would be a great idea for Intromental and/or Glenn to pick it up. Why? Answer: They will always have a place to play for their bands. And, if Center Stage gives Glenn a problem, he just moves PPUSA to Jaxx where Glenn Harveston splits ticket fees with Glenn Harveston. Futhermore, Washington is a major airport hub. It will be a lot easier AND cheaper to bring bands from all over the world to play at Jaxx rather than Atlanta.

Glenn, in the words of the immortal Barry Goldwater, "In your heart, you know I'm right."

Maybe Jay is just tired of the nonsense. It is a lot of stress with Dram Shop Laws, Insurance, Emploment Law, Food handling, and dealing with the Prima Donnas that you need to deal with. It becomes a real pain in the tochas. That said, it would be a great idea for Intromental and/or Glenn to pick it up. Why? Answer: They will always have a place to play for their bands. And, if Center Stage gives Glenn a problem, he just moves PPUSA to Jaxx where Glenn Harveston splits ticket fees with Glenn Harveston. Futhermore, Washington is a major airport hub. It will be a lot easier AND cheaper to bring bands from all over the world to play at Jaxx rather than Atlanta.

Glenn, in the words of the immortal Barry Goldwater, "In your heart, you know I'm right."
I'm sure it is a pain for all the listed reasons and I would love for someone like Glenn or Intromental to pick it up, but after living in GA all that time, I couldn't wish moving to NoVA on him. ;) YUK!!!

As for him holding PP there, it would seriously have to be a mini-PP. It has a 550 capacity and is NO WHERE even close to the league that Center Stage is. From the aspect of running an event, you need a pro setup like you get at CS.

Believe me, I love Jaxx and have played many shows there as well as been in the audience for many other shows, but I've seen the setup at CS and they don't even begin to compare.

On the other hand, Ram's Head Live in Baltimore ... ;)

That said, it would be a great idea for Intromental and/or Glenn to pick it up. Why? Answer: They will always have a place to play for their bands. And, if Center Stage gives Glenn a problem, he just moves PPUSA to Jaxx where Glenn Harveston splits ticket fees with Glenn Harveston. Futhermore, Washington is a major airport hub. It will be a lot easier AND cheaper to bring bands from all over the world to play at Jaxx rather than Atlanta.
I disagree. Running a business like that is rough and HIGH RISK. It would be opening a can of worms - to take that on in addition to the whole booking/tour promotion thing nationally would be way too much for a small team of people. Not that Glenn doesn't work wonders, but running a club compared to booking an occasional tour or doing a yearly festival are two very different challenges. I’m sure it can be done, but the level of stress and BS would probably not be worth it. Believe it or not, Jaxx wasn’t exactly a booming business churning out thousands for the owner. There are costs and headaches that you’d never dream of until you experience it first hand.

I'd buy it myself if I didn't want the headaches (not to mention the risk)!