Jaxx Night Club for Sale

oh, er... maybe now's a good time to say... if any of you in bands want to play a session here at WMUC, Univ of Md's college radio station, we'd love to have you! (ESPECIALLY if you can do our Sunday 6-9pm live show, "Third Rail"). We can't afford to pay you and we can't serve drinks (college :rolleyes:), but it's good times in a historic space, outsiders are always welcome to come hang out, and you get a session recording out of the deal! This place isn't the indieocracy it once was! Get in touch through the Myspace. VVV

in the meantime, there's some spaces in/around CP that I'm looking into for gigs. More as that develops...

But... it's our hole! It's special for the shows I've seen there over the last 10 years, for the moments that Jay & Co. have made happen for me and for so many others. I've made longtime friends there, and had the chance to shake the hands of so many of my heroes. I wouldn't trade that for the world. Yeah, the $6 beers make me wince, but it's the gigs and the camaraderie that bring me back, time and time again.

A-friggan-MEN!

I've been going to shows there over the past three or four years (did not even realize such a kick-ass rock/metal club even existed until I starting getting the jones to actually go see some of these bands I was discovering!).

I've made many of excellent friends through this place - especially in the form of the entire band of Division and Odin's Court (funny that these are two of the first bands that I've seen on that first time I went to Jaxx - when Sonata Arctica made their very first US appearance).

I also have to second how awesome it was to get to meet and shake hands with many of those bands that I've so loved and enjoyed! After listening to Stratovarius (and have just about everything they ever put out), I thought how cool it would be to get to meet these guys. I never thought, in my wildest dreams that I would actually be sitting at the bar and sharing drinks with Timo Kotipelto and just shooting the shit for a better part of 2 hours! And it was because of Jaxx that made it all possible. Pretty awesome that when I saw Epica again, they remembered me from the first time. The guys from Echos of Eternity even remembered me when I just saw them with Trail of Tears just last week (the guys from Tail of Tears were really awesome to just hang out with as well!) It is memories like that why I hope this place can continue to live on! I will so miss that place if it ever went dark and quiet for good!

That Therion show just this past November really made my birthday something to to remember! I agree, those $6 beers do make me wince, but if I have to buy a $6 beer, I'd rather be buying it there at Jaxx, knowing that money goes to help support a kick-ass club as such. However, I did find the food to be pretty reasonable and actually pretty darn good as well.

Here's me hoping and praying that the club truly stays metal and continues to bring in some of those kick-ass shows that I've been enjoying so far.

That Therion show just this past November really made my birthday something to to remember! I agree, those $6 beers do make me wince, but if I have to buy a $6 beer, I'd rather be buying it there at Jaxx, knowing that money goes to help support a kick-ass club as such. However, I did find the food to be pretty reasonable and actually pretty darn good as well.

You must have had a lot of them, because they are $5 beers. :p

I miss the days of $4 beers, but at least I can drink something there besides bear piss. It is probably a better deal than 9:30, where you get less beer for the money.

Jason

oh, er... maybe now's a good time to say... if any of you in bands want to play a session here at WMUC, Univ of Md's college radio station, we'd love to have you! (ESPECIALLY if you can do our Sunday 6-9pm live show, "Third Rail"). We can't afford to pay you and we can't serve drinks (college :rolleyes:), but it's good times in a historic space, outsiders are always welcome to come hang out, and you get a session recording out of the deal! This place isn't the indieocracy it once was! Get in touch through the Myspace. VVV

in the meantime, there's some spaces in/around CP that I'm looking into for gigs. More as that develops...

Didn't they just pass a new rule that folks can't be on campus after a certain time if they are not a student - along with the no parties after midnight ... They were having issues with parties attended by too many people - they mentioned one where there was about 1,000 folks there and many were not students... Heard it on WTOP this afternoon...

That's right, I listen to news talk radio sometimes!!!!

And about 9:30 Club, I went there in Nov of 06 for Queensryche, parked there, drove one street over from the club and saw several people standing on the corner screaming, a woman I'd say was looking for a date and I did NOT feel safe... Jaxx I can go to by myself... I wouldn't DARE go to the 9:30 Club alone... NEVER...

And a big ol' Kudos to Jay for making it a point that the sellers won't destroy the great place he's made... And yeah the bathrooms suck but they're ours!! And I echo everything said by those above - it's a great place to meet tons of people that love the same music you do and get to kick back with those that you're there to see... Or just be standing in the seating area and have Kahn walk by you before you can form a complete sentence from utter shock and disbelief.. yeah that was me in August... :p

Didn't they just pass a new rule that folks can't be on campus after a certain time if they are not a student - along with the no parties after midnight ... They were having issues with parties attended by too many people - they mentioned one where there was about 1,000 folks there and many were not students... Heard it on WTOP this afternoon...

haha, I heard that too! (I work at WTOP's traffic desk on weekends) The rule only affects the Student Union building, not the whole campus (and not us), and non-students are only prohibited from booking events there (I think?) I didn't see anything in the email we got that mentioned non-students attending. In fairness, the Union folks have dealt with a lot of problems, so I really can't blame them. What REALLY pisses them off is when a student group books a space as a front for an outside company (who basically con students into doing free promo work for them under the guise of "street teaming"), which is what I heard happened with that 1000 person party.

anyhow, that nixes ONE of the options i was looking at, but there are other spaces on- and off-campus we're looking at for small shows.

And about 9:30 Club, I went there in Nov of 06 for Queensryche, parked there, drove one street over from the club and saw several people standing on the corner screaming, a woman I'd say was looking for a date and I did NOT feel safe... Jaxx I can go to by myself... I wouldn't DARE go to the 9:30 Club alone... NEVER...

okay, how about this... the area around 9:30 *is* relatively safe, though it may not *feel* safe if you're not used to it (as opposed to around the Thunderdome or Ottobar, which are definitely not safe). I've seen shadier characters at the 7-Eleven by Jaxx.

Were I an attractive young woman, I probably wouldn't feel right going anywhere in DC alone at night either.

Apparantly the Jaxx staying metal is true as on Sept 15 Sigh, Zimmers Hole, and Unexpect are playing there. Usually some of the bands who are going to ProgPower book there before they come to Atlanta, hoping Iron Savior or Iced Earth will go there.

Usually some of the bands who are going to ProgPower book there before they come to Atlanta, hoping Iron Savior or Iced Earth will go there.
If those are the bands Jay borrows/steals from this year's ProgPower line-up, I hope he does it as a Monday-after-ProgPower-show like Stratovarious was a few years ago. (Nothing against Jay or his booking, but he does have a tendency to use Glenn's hard work to his advantage.)

If those are the bands Jay borrows/steals from this year's ProgPower line-up, I hope he does it as a Monday-after-ProgPower-show like Stratovarious was a few years ago. (Nothing against Jay or his booking, but he does have a tendency to use Glenn's hard work to his advantage.)
I don't think that is Jay's doing. It usually ends up working out that way because of tour routing. The tour promoters would go to Jay with the date(s) that the band is going to be in the area and see if any dates are open at the club. So it is the band's management and the tour management that would be responsible for taking advantage of Glenn's hard work.

Jay doesn't try to take advantage of or "steal" from Glenn's PP work. The bands Glenn bring decide to tour the US, and they get a booking agent. The agent tells Jay/Jaxx (as well as other promoters!) they are touring during certain dates. Jay books it. Jay doesn't know all that much about Prog Power - and I don't think he cares to be honest. It's in a completely different region/market. Jay has to earn a living, as Jaxx pays his bills. He books the shows as he gets them and makes the most of them. Whether or not it conflicts with an annual festival in a complete different market is immaterial to him. The world keeps turning...

I do sympathize with Glenn though, in the sense that more often than not he is taking the risk by bringing over bands who haven't played the US before, and other promoters can benefit from that hard work. Glenn could do different things to persuade them not to tour, and he has in the past. ;) That's the music industry - it can be very cut throat. :(

You must have had a lot of them, because they are $5 beers. :p

I miss the days of $4 beers, but at least I can drink something there besides bear piss. It is probably a better deal than 9:30, where you get less beer for the money.

Jason

By the time I leave a $1 tip for the bartender, it might as well be a $6 beer.

It's in a completely different region/market.
I understand and agree with everything that you (and Rick) explained, except for this statement. A different region, yeah, sort of. As we've already seen on this thread, people come from all over (particularly the east coast) to come to both ProgPower and Jaxx. And I've seen at least 50 shows at Jaxx that involved bands that were recently on the ProgPower bill, previously on the ProgPower bill, or suggested by half a dozen or more people on this forum for some spot on the ProgPower bill. To say that the two cater to vastly different markets just doesn't make sense.

I understand and agree with everything that you (and Rick) explained, except for this statement. A different region, yeah, sort of. As we've already seen on this thread, people come from all over (particularly the east coast) to come to both ProgPower and Jaxx. And I've seen at least 50 shows at Jaxx that involved bands that were recently on the ProgPower bill, previously on the ProgPower bill, or suggested by half a dozen or more people on this forum for some spot on the ProgPower bill. To say that the two cater to vastly different markets just doesn't make sense.
Considering they are 11 hours apart (driving), I'd say they are 2 different markets.

I think I can sum up my point with one question:
Are you and Nick coming down to Atlanta to see this exclusive show with Circle II Circle? Afterall, this will not be seen at Jaxx this time.

I think I can sum up my point with one question:
Are you and Nick coming down to Atlanta to see this exclusive show with Circle II Circle? Afterall, this will not be seen at Jaxx this time.
We didn't, but that doesn't mean that others didn't. This is why in my previous response I said "A different region, yeah, sort of." Geographically these venues are in two different places, however if you look back over this thread, perhaps I'm misunderstanding some people's posts, but it looks like we have people from all up and down the east coast who visit Jaxx. Jay also made it a point at the most recent Nightwish show (yes, I realize that's only one show) to point out and ask the crowd about how far various people or groups had come from, including various states and other countries. We already know that ProgPower draws folks from all over the country, so yes the regional/geographical markets are somewhat different.

If we're talking markets, perhaps this is something I also misunderstood from what your previously stated, but I was thinking of "market" as the "metal" market, both PP and Jaxx showcase a lot of similar or the same bands so that to me, puts them in the same market in that respect.