Jaxx Night Club for Sale

I'd feel sorrier, but I was at a Dream Theater show there (Home for the Holidays mini-tour? Maybe before that) that still ranks as the tightest-packed show I ever attended. Absolutely criminal. Hence the oft-heard monicker, Birch Hell.

If it's the same show I'm thinking of, they also didn't start until midnight! :ill:

I sure hope Jaxx goes into the hands of someone who will appreciate it and do good things with it...

If it's the same show I'm thinking of, they also didn't start until midnight! :ill:

Might well have been. I remember freezing my chewies off outside during the interminable wait for the doors to open. The night before was actually worse, though: DT played the 'Malibu Beach Club' on Long Island, and the stiff onshore breeze coupled with below-freezing temps was <NathanExplosion> BRUTAL! </Nathan> :)

For oldtime #Ytsejammers, I think that was the infamous roadtrip with Bafu Vai, and Trey Allen from Fla. Good times. :kickass:

I sure hope Jaxx goes into the hands of someone who will appreciate it and do good things with it...

If there were some sort of cooperative as described above, I'd buy in, despite not being a local to Jaxx.

Incidentally, I gather it's not a matter of Jaxx "being sold" so much as the owner allowing his lease to expire, since it's located in a small strip shopping center. Guess I should check last night's lottery numbers. :lol:

If there were some sort of cooperative as described above, I'd buy in, despite not being a local to Jaxx.

Incidentally, I gather it's not a matter of Jaxx "being sold" so much as the owner allowing his lease to expire, since it's located in a small strip shopping center. Guess I should check last night's lottery numbers. :lol:

Not at all - Jay's lease is current, and he can sell the rights to that lease to a new owner, IIRC. So he'd be selling the lease rights, and the contents of the club, and any other assets attached to Jaxx.

I remember that ytsejam road trip. I remember that Birch Hell show, too, since our old bassist Alex and I ran into Kevin Madden in line. That show was ridiculous...

Well that is part of the problem, there aren't many (any?) places. Sharpshooters in Manassas has metal from time to time, Jamin Java in Falls Church has metal once in a blue moon, and I'm sure there are others, I just don't know...

There's a few smaller places in NoVA (names escape me at the moment), and a couple of places in Fredericksburg, but nothing like when we started out...

Not at all - Jay's lease is current, and he can sell the rights to that lease to a new owner, IIRC. So he'd be selling the lease rights, and the contents of the club, and any other assets attached to Jaxx..

Well, yeah, that's kinda what I meant. It's a lease and contents, but not the entire building, so it's not like a new owner or co-op would have to buy an entire freestanding structure. Presumably this would be a bit cheaper. :)

I missed this the first time. I'm surprised the floor isn't covered with them by now...

Heh. We decided they must not sweep the floor too often, since y'all's last show before that DT show had been several weeks, as I recall. :lol:

I remember that ytsejam road trip. I remember that Birch Hell show, too, since our old bassist Alex and I ran into Kevin Madden in line. That show was ridiculous...

Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long time...

Yeah, if Jaxx goes away, it would majorly suck for me, since part of the reason why I go to Jaxx so much is because it is close. Also, it plays a lot of the shows I'm interested in. There hasn't been a show at 9:30 that I've been interested in going to in a long time.

Jason

Now there is a name I haven't heard in a long time...

Yeah, if Jaxx goes away, it would majorly suck for me, since part of the reason why I go to Jaxx so much is because it is close. Also, it plays a lot of the shows I'm interested in. There hasn't been a show at 9:30 that I've been interested in going to in a long time.

Jason

I'm here, I'm here. Well, not HERE, but here. I remember Birch Hell very well. Sucks that Jaxx might go kaput. Hopefully something can be done.

30 more days in Iraq~

Kevin (Madden)

hey all... found this thread while googling for info on the Jaxx sale. Also, this:

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/article.asp?paper=72&cat=104&article=92759

With an asking price of $1.2 million for the 7,000 square foot venue on Rolling Road south of Old Keene Mill Road, any prospective buyer has to meet Nedry&#8217;s high standards and his conditions.
"Anyone who buys this place will have to pay an additional fee to keep me on as a consultant for a year," Nedry said.
The reason?
"I&#8217;ve owned this place longer than anyone," he said. "I&#8217;ve worked hard to make this one of the top 10 metal venues in the world. I know how to make this place run without annoying any of our neighbors. I need to find someone who will take this place over and maintain the positive things I&#8217;ve worked for."

That last quote is definitely encouraging. Not to mention... that Tim McGraw story is awesome. I didn't know about that.

I won't miss the physical location of the venue. Sentimentality aside, it's a '70s shoebox movie theater in a derelict strip mall, a long bike ride from a Metro, with HVAC issues o'er the years and gross bathrooms to boot (and yeahyeahyeah, I know we all have war stories about worse latrines at venues). Truth be told, it's kind of a hole.

But... it's our hole! It's special for the shows I've seen there over the last 10 years, for the moments that Jay & Co. have made happen for me and for so many others. I've made longtime friends there, and had the chance to shake the hands of so many of my heroes. I wouldn't trade that for the world. Yeah, the $6 beers make me wince, but it's the gigs and the camaraderie that bring me back, time and time again.

For that reason - talking strictly business, now - I think that Jay's demand to be kept on as consultant and have some say in Jaxx's fate over the next year is entirely reasonable.

oh, as an aside... I don't understand why people find the 9:30 Club's neighborhood so bad, unless they haven't been there in 10 years (when, yeah, it kinda was). Although, as infrequently as they have a decent metal gig, I can't blame you if it has been that long. That area around U St NW has been so ridiculously gentrified and rebuilt lately that it's hard to feel unsafe on the block-and-a-half walk from the Metro.

oh, as an aside... I don't understand why people find the 9:30 Club's neighborhood so bad, unless they haven't been there in 10 years (when, yeah, it kinda was).
For me, I find that neighborhood extremely bad, because we were down there about a year or two ago driving around trying to find parking and we had to drive through "gang central" about 2-3 blocks away (behind the club) where there were about 200 people standing around on the street corners and in the middle of the street (blocking traffic), some yelling at each other and some getting into fights. Gee that makes me (a 24 year old 5' 2" white girl) feel really safe, even if I do have 2 or 3 guys in the car with me. :Smug:

To be fair, sounds like you were back by the Howard U. dorms, so those might've been students, being bratty and obnoxious as college kids are wont to do. Howard polices that area pretty heavily (as my friends and I found out the hard way in our pre-21 days :rolleyes:), so it really is relatively safe. Baltimore looks worse just a few blocks north of Inner Harbor.

I try not to drive downtown, just 'cause parking's a hassle... better to park free and easy on the fringe of the city and take the Metro in. Get off at U St/Cardozo, walk 150 yards up Vermont Ave and there you are.

Rock 'n' Roll Hotel on the other hand... THAT is in a notoriously bad neighborhood, 16 dirty blocks from a Metro. We should almost be glad that that club's (allegedly) allergic to metal.