Kamelot announces new Singer

Well, Khan in Kamelot couldn't get me interested in their music. I doubt Tommy can do any better. No offense to either vocalist, but having a great singer could never get me into Kamelot's music.

Just what I wanted to hear, an opinion about a vocalist change who doesn't even like the bands music.

Anyone who thinks that Tommy will hang on to Seventh Wonder for long needs their head examined.
Because they've been so incredibly active...ever? They rarely tour, even in Europe.

Kamelot is on the verge of breaking through on the level of WT and Nightwish, and all focus will be on its performance in the next several months.
It seems like Kamelot has been on the cusp for a while...I'm not knocking them at all, I enjoy their music and I'm stoked to see Tommy singing for them, but they need to recover some lost momentum before they can honestly think about breaking up to the next level.

Though SW is a decent band, I doubt they wish to remain a "hobby" band.
What are you basing this assessment on? Andreas (Blomqvist, not Soderin) has made no secret of the fact that he takes his career seriously, to the point where he took a year off from the band. I'd absolutely love to see them blow up, but they're not even big in underground metal terms. They would have to put in a tremendous amount of work and make some real sacrifices to get to the next level, and nothing they've done up to this point in their career shows me that they want to take that route.

Sure, Tommy may very well leave SW in a year, that's entirely possible, but I just don't see them being road warriors trying to grow the SW brand.

Wow, I was listening to Seventh Wonder a few weeks ago and it popped into my head that he would fit Kamelot well. I kid you not. My interest in Kamelot just shot up ten-fold.

Anyone who thinks that Tommy will hang on to Seventh Wonder for long needs their head examined. .

Why? As someone else pointed out, Palotai seems to do just fine with Sons of the Season. SoS have put out two albums in the last 4 years of so (just like Seventh Wonder) as well as doing a good bit of touring. Granted Tommy won't likely be able to tour SW with Kamleot like SoS did for a little while. If anything this will give a popularity boost to the next Seventh Wonder album and tour.

I'm very excited for the future of Kamelot . I think they made a very great choice and I'm very interested to see where they will go with the nexy cd. I I'm however concerned that Tommy will eventually leave SW from to many Kamelot comitments. Can't wait for PP.

It seems like Kamelot has been on the cusp for a while...I'm not knocking them at all, I enjoy their music and I'm stoked to see Tommy singing for them, but they need to recover some lost momentum before they can honestly think about breaking up to the next level.

Lost momentum? Their last cd was their highest selling (or at least charting) CD they've had. Maybe the cds themselves weren't as good in some people's opinions (including myself); however, it's not like they're going down the way of Sonata and Edguy. Having said that though, I would imagine less sales this time around, at least in the US with the new singer. If he stays though, I could see them getting back on track.

Lost momentum? Their last cd was their highest selling (or at least charting) CD they've had. Maybe the cds themselves weren't as good in some people's opinions (including myself); however, it's not like they're going down the way of Sonata and Edguy. Having said that though, I would imagine less sales this time around, at least in the US with the new singer. If he stays though, I could see them getting back on track.
Best charting CD, followed by having to cancel their US tour, rebook a tour with a fill-in vocalist, then find a new permanent vocalist. I have no doubts that the new material will be good and that Tommy will kill it - I'm not trying to be negative about the band at all. They were a victim of circumstance/Khan quitting, and while I think they will end up better off with this change, there will be a certain portion of Khan fanbois and fangirls who may not come along for the ride, along with people who aren't as in-tune with prog/power metal and will take a cautious approach to a new album with a singer they don't know.

Why? As someone else pointed out, Palotai seems to do just fine with Sons of the Season. SoS have put out two albums in the last 4 years of so (just like Seventh Wonder) as well as doing a good bit of touring. Granted Tommy won't likely be able to tour SW with Kamleot like SoS did for a little while. If anything this will give a popularity boost to the next Seventh Wonder album and tour.
Palotai is a keyboardist. A keyboardist can play a lot more than a singer can.

It's so funny. All these posts about how it will impact Seventh Wonder. Meanwhile, 99% of Kamelot fans are reading Kamelot's Facebook announcement and thinking, "Who?"

I'm not going to lie, someone on the FB page asked "is that 'blue steel' or 'magnum'?" and I laughed really REALLY hard.

srsly though, I don't get people here are so worked up about how it will impact a band that barely tours and plays out... or does anything much at all for that matter. Heaven forbid someone wants to make a living doing music! What a novel thought!

Heaven forbid someone wants to make a living doing music! What a novel thought!

Funny, I did not see a single post here admonishing him for joining Kamelot or moving his career forward. I saw some concern for the future of a band people really like, but nowhere did I see people posting that in a context that he should hold back his career. Sorry maybe I missed it, would you mind pointing it out for me?

Oh I know, I just think like, the concern about Seventh Wonder is kind of weird. I get that people like that band, but at the end of the day, people have to pay the bills, which SW did not.

I agree 100% with Stingray too. He says he's staying, but I don't think it will last long. And honestly despite not being a fan of either band, I love hearing stories about a relatively unknown dude who is considered talented get a good gig in the music business. It's a great thing. :)

Oh I know, I just think like, the concern about Seventh Wonder is kind of weird. I get that people like that band, but at the end of the day, people have to pay the bills, which SW did not.

I agree 100% with Stingray too. He says he's staying, but I don't think it will last long. And honestly despite not being a fan of either band, I love hearing stories about a relatively unknown dude who is considered talented get a good gig in the music business. It's a great thing. :)

It reminds me of another guy or two. I think one guys name was Ripper and another guy is named Arnel. :)

srsly though, I don't get people here are so worked up about how it will impact a band that barely tours and plays out... or does anything much at all for that matter. Heaven forbid someone wants to make a living doing music! What a novel thought!

Is there something wrong with being concerned about the future of a band that alot of people around here feel passionate about? Tommy is an amazing vocalist who really suits SW and would be sad to see him ultimately leave that band.

On the flipside, I think same said people would be happy that he's going to gain alot more exposure and earn some decent coin along the way.

Kudos to Jen. I know she was the first one on this board that suggested his name for Kamelot. I am not sure not sure at fan level anybody at any board came up with this idea first!!!

It was the perfect choice both look wise and vocally.