Keith Sudano of Eternity X - New CD

David White

New Metal Member
Jun 12, 2002
Ridgecrest, CA
Visit site
I know some of you remember The Edge by Eternity X from way back in 1997. It's still my favorite CD of all time. Fans will remember that was the last released CD by Eternity X.

The band isn't back - but Keith is; and as he wrote all the songs before, that's close enough for me. This isn't The Edge pt. II and it wasn't supposed to be. It's a solo CD with everything done by Keith. All the songwriting, all instruments, singing, production, mixing, everything.

It isn't the over the top craziness of The Edge but it's not too dissimilar in sound to the predecessors, Zodiac and Mind Games.

A few samples can be heard here :

http://www.keithsudano.com/music.htm

The last one, A Biography of Me, is my favorite but that might be because I've heard it the most.

Anyway, I'm really excited to have Keith back (he's already started writing for the next one) and I thought some here might like to know.

Well, this got me out of hiding. Does it get any better than late-90s prog/power metal? Eternity X - The Edge, Shadow Gallery - Tyranny, Royal Hunt - Paradox, Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory, Ayreon - Electric Castle, Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Angra - Holy Land, Savatage - Wake of Magellan (...and TSO1 & TSO2). My God, it never was nor ever will be again. *Sheds tear....

Thanks for the heads up, David, and for the trip down memory lane. Eternity X was all about melody, emotion, and sophistication. Very special band. Exceptional stuff.

Top 10 Eternity X songs...? Go!

01) A Day in Verse
02) Confession
03) Eulogy (original)
04) Baptized by Fire
05) Despair
06) Faith
07) Crawl Before You Walk
08) Fly Away
09) Aquarius
10) Cancer

Honorable mention: Switchblade, Taurus, Aries, Rejection, Pisces, Leo, Virgo

Back in the mid-2000s there was an EtX / Sudano song on MySpace that I loved. The title/chorus escapes me, but it was fantastic ... great melody and vocal harmonies.

I really need to revisit these cd's. I remember them as something that wasn't real original or catchy, so they went into a pile never to be listened to again.
This also happened with Pain of Salvation One Hour By The Concrete Lake, which got a 2nd chance a few months after it came out and is now one of my favorite cd's of all time. Eternity X never got that 2nd chance, until now. We'll see what happens...

For those interested, it's available for download from Amazon, itunes, etc, now. It sounds excellent, it doesn't sound self produced. The production actually reminds me of The Edge which had an unusual production in which each instrument was very clearly defined and this is reminiscent of that. Again, this isn't The Edge, but for obvious reasons the melodies will remind you of it; it's intentionally not as complex, however.

Another FYI, Keith is remastering "From the Ashes", the follow up to The Edge. Not re-recording it so it still won't be what it would have been with a true studio recording but I am looking forward to a better sound than the demo I have.

If you look for it, it's not an Eternity X CD, it's a Keith Sudano CD.

It isn't the over the top craziness of The Edge but it's not too dissimilar in sound to the predecessors, Zodiac and Mind Games.

I'm not hearing it Sorry. Those clips are extremely basic (really more a demo to my ears) compared to the EX albums and definitely sounds more singer/songwriter oriented with the instrumentation added after the fact.

Gonna have to pass.

Which is why I said " This isn't The Edge pt. II and it wasn't supposed to be. It's a solo CD ". I'm listening to the real thing right now and it's a very enjoyable listen. No, it's not The Edge but it's the closest thing there is and for those of us who love Keith's songwriting it's close enough.

I have no association to this CD but the Amazon download was only $9 and for those who want a little reprise to Eternity X, it's well worth it. It stands by itself as a very good CD; perhaps it's most difficult task is being compared to The Edge.

This CD is a grower. It is really, really good. If you like Eternity X and are willing to give a shot to a version that is simpler, not as heavy but still really well written, give this a try. I've been locked in non stop for three days now. If you only like metal I guess you can go elsewhere but if you like to slow it down once in a while . . . wow.

Well, this got me out of hiding. Does it get any better than late-90s prog/power metal? Eternity X - The Edge, Shadow Gallery - Tyranny, Royal Hunt - Paradox, Dream Theater - Scenes From a Memory, Ayreon - Electric Castle, Fates Warning - A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Angra - Holy Land, Savatage - Wake of Magellan (...and TSO1 & TSO2). My God, it never was nor ever will be again. *Sheds tear....

Not to mention MERCURY RISING! I still love that first album.