Khan officially quits Kamelot

Situations like this make me respect guys like Bruce Dickinson and Timo Tolkki more. Both announced their departures(in the case of Tolkki, the breakup of the band), but fulfilled their obligations before leaving.

I seen Kamelot right down front and center at the Algora in Cleveland after the release of The Black Halo. The drama of Khan's singing and his delivery was just staggering. I was literally drained from the experience. For me, progressive metal usually starts first and foremost with great guitar - Petrucci, Loomis, Romeo, Micheal Couts, Lofstad, Brick Williams, etc. But with Kamelot, it was Khan that always first captured my attention. (That is not to say that Thomas is not a great and captivating guitarist - he most definitely is!). Can Kamelot attain the same greatness without Khan? I hope so and I think that it is possible. As many here have pointed out, Thomas really sets the direction for the band and I am glad that they are taking their time to find a new singer. I do have to say that even if they exceed The Black Halo, Kamelot will not be the same without Khan. Better - possibly. The same -no.

I respect Khan's decision. Hell, it's his life. I thank him for all that he has given us. And, I hold out hope that we will hear from him again.

From the period of time Karma came out up until they kind of lost me with Poison, Kamelot had become one of my absolute favorite bands. I even loved Ghost Opera, which probably got more play from me in the year or so after it came out than any other album in that time.

Kamelot is definitely Thomas' band and his vision, although from interviews it certainly seems that the songwriting process was a collaborative one, particularly between himself and Khan. I would speculate that Khan's contributions to great albums like The Black Halo goes beyond simply being a great sounding voice and that his signature is present in some songwriting. That will be lost, and it remains to be seen how it will affect what Kamelot becomes - I don't know that they will reclaim their spot in my mind as one of the top acts and songwriting forces in metal. In the end it doesn't matter because its clear they had reached the end of that road. To me, Poison clearly demonstrated that.

So, as sad as it may be to some of us that Khan has called it quits, if he hadn't it probably would have only been to run something that was once great into the ground. In this type of music, if your heart isn't in it there really isn't much of a point. And as a husband and new father myself, I wouldn't judge the man if his family is what made him change his priorities.

Now I just hope that Thomas has another unique vision for Kamelot and doesn't go for a typical power metal vocalist (ahem, Fabio). A great part of Khan's value was how he helped make Kamelot something other bands were not and could not be. He just had a unique voice and a unique approach to this music. Kamelot has to find a way to keep that edge while going in a new direction.

In the end it doesn't matter because its clear they had reached the end of that road. To me, Poison clearly demonstrated that.

See, I've seen this said a few other times, but I can't get on board with it at all. I loved Poetry when it came out, and I still do - I thought it was an immense step up from Ghost Opera. It seemed to me that they had finally honed the dark edge they were searching for, and the Conception throwbacks ("Necropolis", "House on a Hill") all over the place were an added bonus. I thought this record had everything that made Kamelot good. However, in retrospect, some of the lyrics seemed to be extremely foreshadowing of this turn of events - look at "My Train of Thoughts" and "Seal of Woven Years" in particular.

I totally agree about the lyrics on PFTP foreshadowing events to come. I always thought the lyrics to the great pandemonium were referring to him having to do one last album before he could leave, and he knew the pandemonium that would result from him leaving.