Khan officially quits Kamelot

I refuse to look at official Kamelot forums or their Facebook page on this. The cult of personality around Khan is interesting at best and sickening at worst. The fans that think that Kamelot was Khan's band are terribly mistaken. This is, and always will be, Thomas Youngblood's labor of love, and his artistic legacy. The unfortunate thing for Thom is that Khan was such a marketable voice and face...to continue on will be difficult without someone comparable. We've seen Fabio and Michael Eriksen fill in and kill it...but it will be difficult to satisfy the Khan faithful post-departure. But the strength of the music is still there and has been for quite some time.

And Thom is such a nice and humble guy. I wish nothing but the best for him. I don't pray, but I do hope that Kamelot continues on. I trust their judgment on finding a replacement for Roy if that's the path they choose.
Perfectly worded! Mad props to you!

I just he works out whatever caused him to quit in the first place, exhaustion or finding God, whaterver it may be. Khan is too good to never perform again.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................CONCEPTION RENUNION!!!!

Kamelot learned of his statement at the same time as the rest of the world.

I'd say there was a hell of a lot more restraint & civility shown on one side.

Well, that certainly isn't cool. I do think if it isn't in his heart, he shouldn't continue with Kamelot, but still, some common courtesy. I must say though I'm more intrigued about Kamelot than I have been in years. It's no secret that I haven't been the biggest fan of his. Having said that though, they definitely have big shoes to fill.

Really? If that's the case, then no, that isn't cool. :/ I was mainly relieved that it didn't seem to be a Nightwish redux, though the fans on Facebook and other places seem on their way to making it just that...

I just he works out whatever caused him to quit in the first place, exhaustion or finding God, whaterver it may be. Khan is too good to never perform again.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................CONCEPTION REUNION!!!!

Been There Done That . . .at Progpower even. Was great to witness.

I do know that anyone who bashes Khan's voice, has never seen the DVD "One Cold Winter's Night".....Nobody can ever watch that dvd and bash Khan, it's impossible.

Now with that said, he did start losing his voice live during the last 2 or 3 years. But "Cold Winter's Night" is up there with the Operation Mindcrime DVD. In fact, Khan's vocal dramatics on that DVD remind me quite a bit of vintage Geoff Tate... I do bring up the DVD, because I've never really seen it talked about on here, probably because it's one of those DVDs that slipped under the radar, and many people don't even know that it exists... The last I checked, you can even rent it on Netflix.

It is a fact however that I told the guys in the band already last fall (well after my burnout) that I was leaving the band.
The band should have mentioned this months ago before pulling off the "we don't know what's going on" or "he's found God" crap.

Just like Iced Earth without Barlow, Kamelot without Khan is over for me. Besides, Khan was not just a singer. He was also a writer. If he decides to remain in the business, I'll continue supporting him.

Been There Done That . . .at Progpower even. Was great to witness.

It was cool. I was hoping for more, but I guess it wasn't to be. Oh well.

Personally, I'll always view Khan as the voice of Conception, and I never could quite get into the stuff he did with Kamelot.

What I always find amusing about drama like this is how all of a sudden, people feel the need to take sides and make absurd statements that Kahn was never that important to Kamelot's success.

Roy Kahn could make any straight man flip faster than a circus animal!

And before you go into the "Fabio has proved ANYONE can sing the material" bullshit, keep in mind it was Ray's voice / persona who MADE those songs well known and recognizable enough that another vocalist could come in to perform them well.

Anyone is replaceable, but I think some of the comments in this thread are quite absurd.

What I always find amusing about drama like this is how all of a sudden, people feel the need to take sides and make absurd statements that Kahn was never that important to Kamelot's success.

And before you go into the "Fabio has proved ANYONE can sing the material" bullshit, keep in mind it was Ray's voice / persona who MADE those songs well known and recognizable enough that another vocalist could come in to perform them well.

Anyone is replaceable, but I think some of the comments in this thread are quite absurd.

Are you basing your flipping comment on personal experience?

I'd flip for Khan.
He is a sexy mother trucker, and is a major appeal to both Kamelot's female and male fans.

Sorry, but its the truth.

You can put any talented vocalist in the spot who could pull it off vocally, but as other's have said too, a lot of Kamelot's success was due to Khan's "performance" which extended beyond just the vocals.

Personally, I think they should choose a relatively unknown singer as his replacement.

THANK YOU.

I've noticed this lately, and it's bothered me, too. I get that there's a backlash, but it's bordering on history revisionism at this point, and downplaying the fact that he played a huge part in shaping their sound is, as you said, absurd.

Did he do everything? No. But he did a lot. It'll be interesting to see what the next album will be like without him contributing to the writing.

Khan has god on his side. So it is all good in his eyes.

Maybe he can be the lead vocalist in the church choir. For about 35 minutes. Then someone else will have to take over.

/joking /sarcasm

Seriously, I wish the guy well and hope he arises again.

While I agree that getting caught up in drama like this is really really silly, Kamelot's success came as a collective band, just like Nevermore's. It's not one member that specifically caused it to happen.