KOTIPELTO - Waiting For The Dawn

Lead singer from Stratovarius' new solo cd..

I picked this up the other day locally, I didn't even know he had a solo project in the works. This CD is pretty damn good and if you're a Stratovarius fan, be sure to pick it up, you won't be upset that you did.

I also believe one of the guys from Children of Bodom is in the band.. so I'll list the musicians now for ya..

Timo Kotipelto - vocals
Jari Kainulainen - bass
Mike Romeo - guitar
Janne Wirman - keys
Mirka Rantanen - drums

12 tracks in all (1 intro) and I've enjoyed every song.

I really really wanted to like this CD - I got it as soon as The End were shipping....I heard it a couple of times and nothing really stood out, but I think I'll give it another try - I can see the potential (unlike that whole 'Space Metal' debacle which this first reminded me of).

I was not too impressed by this album, but it sure is much better that Timo Tolkki's solo album :puke:
I hope that the new Stratovarius album will be better than their two previous ones (Destiny and Infinite). They are becoming too comercial for my taste.

Originally posted by alexofbodom
I was not too impressed by this album, but it sure is much better that Timo Tolkki's solo album :puke:
I hope that the new Stratovarius album will be better than their two previous ones (Destiny and Infinite). They are becoming too comercial for my taste.

I thought Infinite was ok - but you're right, it runs out of steam pretty quick.

Strangely though, Stratovarius have this effect on me where no matter how repetitive their albums become, I keep giving them another chance...:D Every now and then they create a little magic here or there.

I have not heard the Timo Tolkki solo effort, but from what I gather, it is indeed a complete disaster.

Originally posted by Creeps

Timo Kotipelto - vocals
Jari Kainulainen - bass
Mike Romeo - guitar
Janne Wirman - keys
Mirka Rantanen - drums

according to the web, you've forgotten:

Sami Virtanen, Roland Grapow - guitar
Mikko Harkin - keys
Gas - Drums

maybe they're just guests on a few tracks or something, but someone certainly thinks they're in the band.

Ryan

Note for example, that not all these musicians play on each track. For example, do not think Romeo plays guitar all over the album - he has "appearances"...

Originally posted by Se7enChurches
I heard some of the album the other day, and I have to say that while it was by no means bad, with all those people involved I expected a bit more out of it.

Ryan

Agreed. I'm not finding myself going back to this album at all- and Michael Romeo seems to be getting to that "Malmsteen" point where his solos are void of all emotion.

It's more likely though that being brought in as a session guitarist leaves him a little uninspired..?

Wow, this is much more praise for this album than I thought was possible...I agree that it does have some good songs, but I am very disappointed...for the following reasons:

1. Yes, with the musicians involved, it should have been MUCH better.

2. Koltipelto doesn't even write music for Stratovarius, but he took every Stratovarius technique and threw it in his own album, that's pretty lame...

3. IMO, I think "Hymn to Life," Tolkki's solo effort is MUCH better than his counterpart's. For the reasons following:

a. It's different from Stratovarius, which is a good thing

b. It's honest and true, all the emotions in this album cannot be faked, therefore making it ballsy, which IMO deserves respect...

c. One of my favorite albums of the year...

Oh yeah, Space Metal is also one of my favorite albums of the year...