Whitechapel
Chelsea Grin
Attila
Five Finger Death Punch
Incarceri 9
Black Label Society
Norma Jean
Clutch

You know more about obscure/terrible metal than I do these days (possibly), but this list doesn't make much sense to me. Hard to call BLS false metal in any terms. Devil Wears Prada, false metal? How so? They have always been metalcore. I can kind of get Atreyu as they seemed to modify their sound to fit the trend.

Alice in Chains NEVER referred to themselves as metal. The record companies labeled them (at times) as metal. Jerry Cantrell has always said they were what they were and he could care less what category they're in. I would have to agree with that statement since they really seem to be a mix of both metal and alternative.

Facelift is metal as hell.

Jeremy's point about fans of bands like Freedom Call and Leaves Eyes labeling anything "false metal" is a good one.

It's all subjective, and what you end up with is "False Metal = metal I don't like/don't understand." I loathe metalcore and nu-metal, but I'd never claim they aren't metal.

Through this line of logic, then Black Sabbath with the I/B/O/W lineup can be considered false metal.
o_O Umm, what???

twas a joke post FWIW.

I'm not much for labels. I'm fine with letting things be what they are.

i KNOW nobody is talking sh*t on this album. if so you are going to get hurt. this album is AMAZING and contains several riffs that are on CFH. if i could reissue it i would. i already had it remastered and everything for my personal collection.
pantera-powermetal.jpg

other than that this thread is A JOKE.

i am not going to touch the rest of your list, but seriously? Clutch's first "Pitchfork" 7 inch and Transnational Speedway League are classic in my book. they did something no one else besides Helmet were doing at the time.

you are pretty off base on that one in my book. i mean what they are doing now, the jam band style, is a different story. i like it, but it's not metal.

i am not going to touch the rest of your list, but seriously? Clutch's first "Pitchfork" 7 inch and Transnational Speedway League are classic in my book. they did something no one else besides Helmet were doing at the time.

you are pretty off base on that one in my book. i mean what they are doing now, the jam band style, is a different story. i like it, but it's not metal.

I think this is the wrong place to talk about 7 inches that is usually before bands come on most peoples here radar.

i KNOW nobody is talking sh*t on this album. if so you are going to get hurt. this album is AMAZING and contains several riffs that are on CFH. if i could reissue it i would. i already had it remastered and everything for my personal collection.
pantera-powermetal.jpg

other than that this thread is A JOKE.

You and I RARELY agree on anything, that being an understatement, but I agree here. Power Metal is my favorite Pantera album, even over Cowboys (barely, of course).

I wish you horrible nightmares with Eric Adams dancing in his loin cloth:lol:

:lol: Oh my God, it's worse than Freddy Krueger. At least with Freddy I'd be dead after the dream.

:lol:

*must*stop*thinking*about*that*

Let me put my night-light on. :lol:

And the worse part of the nightmare? The soundtrack would be pure false metal. :lol:

Jeremy's point about fans of bands like Freedom Call and Leaves Eyes labeling anything "false metal" is a good one.

It's all subjective, and what you end up with is "False Metal = metal I don't like/don't understand." I loathe metalcore and nu-metal, but I'd never claim they aren't metal.

Exactly my point.

False metal is not the opposite of true metal. False metal is used to describe bands that are only metal because its a trend. Thus the term 'hipster metal'. It can apply to eras of bands as well, where they change their music to fit a trend, but there's somewhat of a difference there, as the bands tend to still love metal and play from their full discography. Most of the hipster metal is already dead, as it was about a 3 year resurrgence.

False metal is not the opposite of true metal. False metal is used to describe bands that are only metal because its a trend. Thus the term 'hipster metal'. It can apply to eras of bands as well, where they change their music to fit a trend, but there's somewhat of a difference there, as the bands tend to still love metal and play from their full discography. Most of the hipster metal is already dead, as it was about a 3 year resurrgence.

False metal actually stands for a fictitious, non-existent thing that some people just insist on. Kinda like Santa Claus and intelligent, common-sense members of the tea party.

I like Clutch. I've seen them 5 or 6 times and own a few of their albums.

I guess my definition of false metal is bands who people say are metal but aren't, and I've heard plenty of people refer to Clutch as metal.