Live Damage reviews

Distribution sucks indeed, i still haven't found it in my local record store, they don't know when they will bring it. A bit more promotion wouldn't hurt imo.

Hey, I am sick and tired of bands putting out shitty LIVE albums inbetween recordings just to give them extra time to put out a new album. All a LIVE album is, is a "best of" compilation with worse production than the originals. If I want to hear these tracks I'll just pull out their CDs or burn my own "best of" compilations onto a CD-R for myself. HOWEVER, DT does the most absolute correct thing by releasing a LIVE DVD with tons of extra shit on it. Not only is it in 5.1 DD sound, but it is a video that people can actually see the live show that they are listening to. And for those of you that DO NOT have a receiver or surround sound system that can produce the 5.1 effect, I HIGHLY suggest you go get one because it is a great listening experience. They are cheap as hell now ($200 for complete system w/ all speakers). Anyway, like I was saying, I completely respect DT for giving their fans the best product that they can and not just rushing a crappy LIVE album out just to get quick money. This is just 1 of the many reasons why DT is the BEST melodic death band in Sweden right now (which actually means "in the world" since Swedish death rules all). This band just continues to impress. Keep up the great work DT!!!!

Reactions: Villain and Siren
SergeantD1 said:
Hey, I am sick and tired of bands putting out shitty LIVE albums inbetween recordings just to give them extra time to put out a new album. All a LIVE album is, is a "best of" compilation with worse production than the originals.
Guess you don't listen to much Maiden then :p

Reactions: TheFourthHorseman
SergeantD1 said:
your point is......
that iron maiden have released a gazillion live albums between records, not to mention shitty compilations with the same tracks barely remastered over and over, just so they had more time to complete new songs and still be very present on the market. since this is the behaviour you criticized, it seemed safe to assume you wouldn't approve of the maidens. at least that's what i got.

Anyone wanting one in the states, let me know. I am picking up an extra one tomorrow that I am going to throw on Ebay if no one here wants it. I would not look to make a profit. I think I am getting them for $25 each tomorrow and I have a PAYPAL account. Let me know

SergeantD1 said:
Anyone wanting one in the states, let me know. I am picking up an extra one tomorrow that I am going to throw on Ebay if no one here wants it. I would not look to make a profit. I think I am getting them for $25 each tomorrow and I have a PAYPAL account. Let me know

just order from europe, the shipping fee's are the taxes for being a yankee! haha

I was extremely excited when I received the note in my mail box to collect my parcel at the post office...only to arrive an the stupif fucks were closed! :(:(:(.....sniff sniff...

The following isn't a review per se, but rather a few thoughts of mine regarding the songs on the DVD. Perhaps there's some seed for discussion here...

Here's the first half:

1. Intro
The short intro is the keyboard opening of The Wonders at Your Feet, which works well to set the mood for the entire show. A funny detail: the old title of the DVD "Staining Poland" is still shown in the beginning - this may confuse those who don't know about the original title and why it was changed to "Live Damage".

2. The Wonders at Your Feet
The importance of the first song is big and that can be seen on the faces of the band-members in the beginning - everybody is so concentrated on their playing that mere routine movements and posing are done. Mikael, however, is just as expressionate as ever from the first moment on and the cameramen capture it well (I especially like the cut on the part where he moves his left hand horizontally). Niklas' solo is excellent and releases the initial stiffness well - the footage near the ending, where Niklas and Michael are playing and banging their heads is great.

3. The Treason Wall
Not my favorite song from the album, but works amazingly well live and the band's performance is very good. I like the amount of footage of Anders in his work, as he plays such an important part in this song. Excellent.

4. Hedon
The performance is good and the song itself is of course a masterpiece, but I must criticise that it was played this early in the set - I would have wished it to come much later. Now it is just a good performance among other good performances, instead of the highlight of the show what it could have been. Also, here the lame audience definitely hurts my experience - when Mikael gives them the chance to shout "Hedon" I must shout it out myself as nothing can be heard from the audience (this might be just due to the recording levels and mixing, but anyways it feels bad). The background-keyboards sound a bit too "sharp", but the piano-like part is amazing, and the most distorted guitar-tones in the end sound great.

5. White Noise / Black Silence
I like the quick transition from Hedon to this song and the immediate energy it creates. Mikael performs with wonderful enthusiasm and the build-up middle part is excellent. Great guitarwork all the way through and I like it especially when Niklas and Martin can be seen next to each other and look like twins or something :). Wonder why Martin gives that look at Niklas though? Overall, one of the highlights of the show.

6. Haven
There are some slight problems with the sound-levels in the beginning, but they are quickly fixed and the song flows very well from there on. Mikael is again amazing and I like his hushing a lot. Although the first time fails, the second time Mikael gives the audience a chance to shout "IN" we finally get something out from the silent poles - whippee! The ending footage where the trio with the axes stand in the front of the stage and Mikael moshes behind them is one of my favorite parts of the whole show. Very good.

7. Punish My Heaven
The obligatory song without which no DT-concert can be perfect, IMHO. The performance is excellent, although I still feel it could have been even better. The cameras are concentrated on the guitarists, which was to be expected, and the fast cuts in the opening between the two guitars look great. Later on in the show however, it often feels they are showing the "wrong" guitar, for example when Niklas plays one fast part it shows mainly just Martin. The keyboards compliment the song well in the end.

8. Monochromatic Stains
Again, not my favorite song from the album, but the band's performance is so top-notch that I count this among my favorites of the show. This is also apparently a very important and fulfilling song for Mikael to perform and his whole presence radiates with the passion he puts to his vocals.

9. UnDo Control
This song starts a bit weakly - the band appears a little exhausted after the preceding fast songs and Mikael is occasionally sparing his voice in the growled parts and rather speaks than sings (the clean parts sound good, though). The performance gets steadily better, however, and the middle part is again very moody and enthralling. About the camerawork, I like the close-ups of Martin's hands and face when he is playing the lead melody of the "soft part", but when Niklas comes in with his fast part, the camera doesn't cut to him like it should - a clear editing mistake, IMHO. Overall, not their best performance of this particular song (which is a long-time favorite of mine) and weaker than many other songs on this DVD, but still definitely good and enjoyable.

10. Indifferent Suns
Unlike on the record, the repetition in this song is not such a bother in this live-situation, but rather an advantage, as the audience can easily get "into" the song through the repeated parts. I like the "psycho-look" on Michael's face when Mikael mentions him and love the "fat" bass-sound of his playing. Although I admire Martin H. as a bassist, he always had a somewhat "thin" sound (I'm not using correct terms here as I'm no musician and really don't know what I'm talking about - these are just the words I use to describe the difference in their styles to myself), whereas Michael's simpler, yet "fatter" bass-lines are better live, IMHO. The performance of the band is excellent with Mikael rising at the top once again. Some good footage of Martin B. in his work, which is nice as he often is forgotten by the cameramen and in this song the keyboards have such a big part. Anders showing his tongue is also hilarious! :)

I'll write something about the remaining songs tomorrow.

-Villain

Villain, that was great! I can't wait to get the DVD (I still don't :erk: ), and when I do, I'm going to have to take it one song at a time, reading the relevant part of your review before each song. Really looking forward to that! :Spin:

Oh, and anxiously waiting for the rest of the review.

-Lamia

Okay, here's the rest - a bit late as usual, but it wasn't my fault. :Spin:

11. Format C: for Cortex
After the nice intro (I love the way Mikael pronounces "cortex" when he introduces the song) and strong main-riff, this song becomes rather dull. On the album it is a decent song, but here it just flops, IMHO. Somehow it manages to draw acceptance from the audience though, so perhaps the flaw is just mine. Nevertheless, I think this is the weakest song of the set. Only the beautiful middle-part and Mikael's extremely expressionate performance keep it from becoming boring. I wonder why some other song, like Cathode Ray Sunshine or Single Part of Two wasn't chosen instead of this one.

12. Insanity's Crescendo
After the disappointment of the previous song, the band makes up for it by a brilliant performance of this old classic. The band's playing is very accurate with perfect sounds and Mikael is simply astonishing, using his whole body to live with the lyrics he is singing - seeing this song convinced me that he IS the best frontman of all the bands in the world! I must also mention the added keyboards that fit the song so perfectly that they send shivers up and down my spine still after watching the show more than a dozen times during the past week. Alltogether an amazing performance and definitely one of the best on this DVD!

13. Hours Passed in Exile
Here's another excellent song played well. Mikael sings a wrong line in the beginning and mumbles another one later, but otherwise performs flawlessly and and with great intensity. Look at Niklas' one-handed playing in the beginning: it seems so damn easy! :eek: Overall very good, but does not rise above the many other excellent songs of the show. I believe Mikael's "Thanks to you guys!" is definitely meant for the few active people in the front row and not for the sleeping masses behind them.

14. The Sun Fired Blanks
This is one of the very few songs that has been in virtually all DT setlists for the past 3+ years - and it shows! The band's playing is free and relaxed, yet very accurate and "tight", so that the song flows flawlessly all the way through without even minor "speedbumbs". The look on Martin's face after Mikael announces his name is unforgettable - I wouldn't like to meet this guy in a dark alley. ;) One of the very best DT live-tunes and among my favorites on the DVD - even the audience here is good!

15. Damage Done
I was a bit afraid of how they could handle this particular favorite of mine live, as it indeed felt pretty much like a firm "studio-song" to me. To my utter satisfaction, they do it incredibly well and carefully. When Mikael repeats "Derails my train of thought" he looks like a completely different person to me! It also gives me a very warm feeling, when I see Mikael walking behind Niklas and giving that approving look to him, as if to say "well played!" and Niklas smiling back at him :). Wonderful.

16. Lethe
Although this song hasn't lately brought up such strong emotions in me as it did over half a decade ago, the superb performance the band - and especially Mikael - puts up made me recall those days long gone. I almost felt like crying, and I wouldn't be surprised if some other old-timer did cry when seeing this for the first time. I love the "weight" of the keyboards and the clarity of the bass-sound; and even though Nicklasson and Brändström came into the band long after this song was first recorded, they handle it with the same love as the older members of the band. There's also some nice variation on the guitars near the end. Truly excellent!

17. Not Built to Last
Nothing wrong with the band's solid performance here, but somehow this song doesn't do as much live as it does on the album. The beautiful instrumental middle-part is still one of the best ever made and everything sounds perfect, but I keep wondering if some other song would have been more suitable here - Rundown, perhaps?

18. ThereIn
I could have lived without this song appearing on the set, but apparently many people in the audience thought otherwise, as it got the best response of all the songs this far into the show. Perhaps, had they played this one earlier in the set, the audience might have been awakened earlier as well. Mikael is again the heart and dynamo of the stage here and sounds actually better here than on the album, especially in the growled parts, IMO.

19. Zodijackyl Light
This is a weird song. Or rather, my relation to it is weird: I dislike it on the album, counting it among the weakest tunes from The Mind's I, but live - god damn I just love it! This here performance is excellent and the band's playing flawless - I assume this is a difficult song to play live (is it? as I said, I'm no musician), but the guys don't really let it show. The sudden stop in the middle of the song is an old thing already, but still manages to punctuate the power in the song.

20. Final Resistance
The proper last song of the set, Final Resistance makes my head bang and adrenaline pumping in my veins. Mikael is clearly a bit tired already, but still manages to give a 100% performance. Brilliant.

21. Outro / Ex Nihilo
I kind of hoped they would have actually played this song, or at least some part of it, instead of just letting it come as playback... Well, anyways, it leaves me with a desire to just watch the whole show over again from the start, so perhaps it was planned this way.

Overall, an amazing show! :) I'll go later into the other parts of the DVD.

-Villain