Looking for some good prog bands

Goober

Noob
Dec 20, 2004
The only prog bands i like are Porcupine tree and Riverside, but i would really like to get into other prog bands too. However, i never really got into prog bands like yes or king crimson, so i guess you could say im looking for newer stuff that isnt all happy happy joy stuff.

So yeah, any suggestions?

Goober said:
The only prog bands i like are Porcupine tree and Riverside, but i would really like to get into other prog bands too. However, i never really got into prog bands like yes or king crimson, so i guess you could say im looking for newer stuff that isnt all happy happy joy stuff.

So yeah, any suggestions?
Obviously PT is the best :). Try Nightingale.

Some of Gentle Giant is dark.

Edge of Twilight
Wreck
The Moon is Down
Black Cat
Peel The Paint
The Advent Of Panurge
Knots
An Inmates Lullaby
A Reunion
His Last Voyage

They also have some goofy instrumental parts. But the lyrics are mostly dark.

Edit - by goofy I mean awesome.

Come on'! The "Old-stuff" is the best in the business! Anyway, please check out these excellent albums made by quality prog. bands:

* Rush - Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, 2112
* Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Brain Salad Surgery
* Camel - Mirage, Moonmadness, Music Inspired By The Snow Goose

All above are masterpieces and generally what good prog is all about! I can't belive Goober find King Crimson and Yes "happy happy joy stuff"...

Nomansvally said:
Come on'! The "Old-stuff" is the best in the business! Anyway, please check out these excellent albums made by quality prog. bands:

* Rush - Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, 2112
* Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Brain Salad Surgery
* Camel - Mirage, Moonmadness, Music Inspired By The Snow Goose

All above are masterpieces and generally what good prog is all about! I can't belive Goober find King Crimson and Yes "happy happy joy stuff"...

Better believe it:loco: I like Rush, But i never got into ELP, Camel i have yet to hear.

what bout anathema? i have no clue if they are prog or not, so are they prog/good?

blimey said:
No :lol:. Those are more ... death metally type prog bands (Agalloch). Mesh just isn't prog!

Meshuggah is math metal. Isn that liek a sub genre of prog metal.
Ulver is weird enough to be prog. Though "experimental" fits best.
Agalloch isn't prog, but they are unique and meaningful... So they fit my definition of prog.

fuck progheads, I'm here for the music.

Goober said:
what bout anathema? i have no clue if they are prog or not, so are they prog/good?

I like Anathema very much, and I think that if you like PT and Riverside you will like them too. They're not very complex, more like pink floyd-influenced. Their three latest albums are the best (IMO), the ones before them are more doom metal style.

Other good modern prog bands... Pain of Salvation comes to mind first, but there are plenty other. Try Maudlin of the Well/Kayo Dot. I'm listening to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum now, and they're great, but I'd rather label them "insane" than "prog". Also check out Ulver, for example "Perdition City" or "Themes from William Blake's Heaven & Hell"... All their albums are different in style.

I also suggest you check out Van Der Graaf Generator. They're a 70's band, but very dark and probably my favourite of the lot. King Crimson's material is also mostly dark, so you just gotta dig deeper.

www.progarchives.com is a marvellous site and has plenty of streaming audio from almost every prog band.