Make PP4 the best: GET MANOWAR

Originally posted by nightwish58
Tight; Ride the Sky, Future World, and I Want Out are pure signs of musical genius.

I can be a smartass and ask if Tight was a Korean bonus track, or I can be truthful in wondering where the hell that bit of slang has come from.

Originally posted by nightwish58
What does a drum solo have to do with Kain Hansen's talent? The man is an incredible guitar player/songwriter/VOCALIST.

*points and laughs*

Originally posted by Jim LotFP
I can be a smartass and ask if Tight was a Korean bonus track, or I can be truthful in wondering where the hell that bit of slang has come from.

god damn, that's what I've been wondering. Somebody needs to clear this up. And make a plea to stop the posts that just say "Tight!"

Just a friendly reminder that we are all individuals and all like what we like.

Arguing over whos good and whos not is so silly IMO. Nobodys right and nobodys wrong. Enjoyment is in the ears of the listener.

Originally posted by DrumRman
Arguing over whos good and whos not is so silly IMO. Nobodys right and nobodys wrong. Enjoyment is in the ears of the listener.

I'll accept Kai Hansen as a great metal musician, and a great songwriter (that seems to be fading.. :(). Hell, I bought the Gamma Ray box set when I already had all the albums, so it would be foolish to say I don't like the band.

I won't accept that he's a great singer. He's done well with what he has though...

Give me a break! Kai Hansen may not have the voice of Andre Matos, but nobody does. He's a great frontman. I heard all kinds of crap saying how bad Gamma Ray was live, before Progpower. I was dubious, to say the least. I left Progpower thinking they put on THE best show overall (not necessarily the best musical performance....talk to Pain of Salvation and Threshold for those honors). I thought Gamma Ray was so intense live that I almost passed out before Angra hit the stage. For ten minutes after Gamma Ray's set, I just sat there with some people on this very forum and could say nothing more than "HOLY SH*T" that was incredible!!!

Don't criticize the man's song writing capabilities as not many people can be John Petrucci or Mike Portnoy.

Also, his lyrics are all in good fun...I don't think he's trying to make a political doctrine with a song like Somewhere Out in Space.....Want serious, inspiring lyrics..go listen to Rage Against the Machine ::CRINGES::

Originally posted by YtseJammer
I heard all kinds of crap saying how bad Gamma Ray was live, before Progpower. I was dubious, to say the least.

I was very pleasantly surprised at his voice at PP. I've heard some live recordings where he was... how shall I put this? Not good at all.

Also, his lyrics are all in good fun...I don't think he's trying to make a political doctrine with a song like Somewhere Out in Space.....Want serious, inspiring lyrics..go listen to Rage Against the Machine ::CRINGES::

You don't have to be brain dead to be fun.

Gamma Ray's got a number of great lyrics that shows Kai really CAN be the best of everything when it comes to songwriting... even when the results are goofball early on there's often a serious intention behind it... the past couple of albums shows that brilliance less and less though. :(

my god.. you people must be forgetting that most music is intended to be fun. When someone writes about science fiction or horror or dragons - is that automatically put into a 'cheese' category? That's a tad drastic.

Kai Hansen NOT talented? I would like to see a show of hands of posters here that has 1/3rd his ability. You guys must have pretty high standards. The man has a great voice, plays great guitar and writes good songs... what else does he have to do?

If you don't like his music, that's one thing, and I CAN RESPECT that.. but the man is obviously talented.

Originally posted by Creeps
my god.. you people must be forgetting that most music is intended to be fun.

Not 'most' music, ALL music. It's a source of entertainment - that's it. Listening to metal does not pay the bills.

I'm shocked at how some people actually find the time to be offended by the fact that others might like Gamma Ray or Heavenly etc.

Didn't these 'arguments' carry on 12 months ago in this very same forum? It's like nothing happened in one year...

Ok, I will hereafter refer to this thread as the 'formerly Manowar' thread :D

I can't understand why Kai Hansen should generate so much controversy. Is it because Gamma Ray has enjoyed some level of success? If so, then I really can't understand it, because most prog fans I know understand progressive music has a limited appeal and wouldn't have it any other way.

Although I will admit certain songs get the "skip button" treatment, I like Gamma Ray. I just don't expect to hear groundbreaking music when I pop one of their CDs into my changer. There's a place for Kai Hansen just as much as there is a place for Tom Englund. The vitriol coming from many progressive members of these forums comes off as petty and jealous. I don't want to assume anything about people, so I'm confused by it.

Kai does have talent, there can't be any question about that. He might not be the most original in the world, but the music still sounds good to me for what it is: quality power metal.

--S

Originally posted by Soul_Schizm
prog fans I know understand progressive music has a limited appeal and wouldn't have it any other way.

Right - which I guess contradicts the business side of making PP more succesful and more attractive to a wider audience.

But if that means bringing over big (and bigger) names from Europe, then that's fine by me.

Give me a break! Kai Hansen may not have the voice of Andre Matos, but nobody does.

Thank God. This world only needs one man with a voice as feminine and irritating as Matos.

Since I think some of the negative comments in this thread might be directed towards me, I'll come out and say I don't have a huge problem with Gamma Ray, I just think it's a big overstatement to call Kai Hansen a musical genius. Of course he has loads more songwriting and musical skill than I do, but that doesn't mean I can't find him flawless. Additionally, I'm a power metal fan primarily, prog fan secondarily. The reason I'm not a huge fan of Gamma Ray is because all their songs sound the same to me. I put on one of their albums, and by the end I'm like "how many songs did I just listen to...three? Four?" All their stuff just mushes together into a big string of briefly amusing, but ultimately not rewarding (for me) power metal. Bands like Blind Guaridan, Edguy, Angra, Symphony X, etc, all keep me interested because the songs on their albums have a varied enough sound that I can tell the difference between them.

I like all those bands you mentioned as well "Blind Guardian, Edguy, Angra, Symphony X"... I just got into Symphony X and only have 3 albums, the new one, V and the double live. You're right, everythign is pretty diverse on those discs that I do own right now. Edguy? They're kinda the same every album (have them all). BUT, that's their style.. and to be honest, that's what I like about certain bands. When I buy an Edguy, Manowar or Slayer album.. I expect to have a certain sound on this album. However they progress musically, so long as they stay true to their own unique sound.

Each Slayer album sounds like Slayer, but EACH Slayer album sounds different than anything they've done before. Granted it's not a HUGE difference, it's Slayer, and if they started trying to be something they're not the world would probably implode. And that's why you'll never see 1,000s of Slayer fans ranting and raving about their new material as sayyyyyyy Metallica's fans.

I'm also a Power fan over Prog. I listen to all types of metal, I have my favorites like everyone else, and I didn't mean to come off like I was stepping on toes while defending Mr Hansen :) Just that ya gotta give credit where credit is due. Sure, he's no Mozart, but the guy has talent.

And despite the small amount of us in the "Hansen" debate in the thread formerly known as "Manowar"... ya gotta admit at least it's been tasteful and enjoyable.. which is why Glenn is so cool to be doing this every year. Last year was my first one and I don't plan on missing anymore.

I can't count how many bands I've checked out and bought albums by just from interacting with many people on this site. I see somone with similar tastes list some bands they're really into and chances are I might like 1 or 2..

So keep up the cool discussions.

Manowar UNPLUGGED! Haha!

As for Kai Hansen-- Genius? No! Hendrix was a genius. Lennon was a genius. Hansen is INFLUENTIAL. Every bit as important in his own right (to the metal community), but not exactly re-inventing the wheel. In his defense, I don't think he's trying to. I see Hansen as a hard-core metal fan, who's obviously not ashamed of the niche he's carved himself. If that's what he wants, then comparing him to anyone else on the importance scale is pointless.

By the way, I have over 100 CD's either with Hansen, or from bands he's played in/with, so I'm definately a fan...