MEAN DEVIATION: Four Decades of Progressive Heavy Metal, by Jeff Wagner

J. Golden

Heaven and Hell Records
Oct 12, 2009
here
www.heavenandhellrecords.com
This should be cool. After many talks with Jeff I think he will be right on with this.

Mean-deviation-test-796x1024.jpg

"Revered former Metal Maniacs editor Jeff Wagner analyzes the heady side of metal in this exhaustive narrative history of a relentlessly ambitious musical subculture. Beginning with the hugely influential mid-1970s efforts of Rush and King Crimson, Wagner unfurls a huge tapestry of sounds and styles, including Queensryche, Fates Warning, and Dream Theater; extreme prog pioneers Voivod and Celtic Frost; Norway’s post-black metal avant garde acts Ulver and Arcturus; and the 1990s global movement that spawned Ayreon, Pain of Salvation, and others."

www.facebook.com/meandeviation

Celtic Frost are prog???

Since when is Avante Garde prog????

Well, they kick ass regardless, so any exposure is good exposure.

Genre classification has always been subjective anyhow.

Good to see VoiVod getting some much deserved recognition as well.

Wonder if Anacrusis will get any love?

I think this book will confuse a lot of people and contest their ideas of "progmetal" From talks with Jeff about it I'm really excited to check it out.
I think it will lose a lot of those who believe Kamalot amd Symphony X are "progressive". But maybe it will open up those folks.

yeah, i told jeff he should set up book release and signing at PP when i read it was september release, but he did say it's now october. i went to the Burning Fight 90's hardcore book release 2 day fest in Chicago last year and they sold out of all 750 copies of the book they brought. there were 1,200 in attendance (of which the event sold out in 24 hrs - a year in advance). it would have been great promotion for jeff's book and i am sure would have made for an interesting read for people over the weekend.

yeah, i told jeff he should set up book release and signing at PP when i read it was september release, but he did say it's now october. i went to the Burning Fight 90's hardcore book release 2 day fest in Chicago last year and they sold out of all 750 copies of the book they brought. there were 1,200 in attendance (of which the event sold out in 24 hrs - a year in advance). it would have been great promotion for jeff's book and i am sure would have made for an interesting read for people over the weekend.

I mentioned the same to him.