Metal bands with female singers that I like

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
A spin-off from the showcase thread.

Arkona - Best aggressive female vocalist in the field.
Crimfall - Good female led folk'ish metal.
Cruachan - Celtic folk metal band, female can sing, the dude cannot.
Tristania & Sirenia: operatic blackish metal? Whatever. I like the early outputs of both.
Leaves Eyes - I wouldn't usually like a band like this. But they just work for me.
Unexpect - Great avant garde metal. Female and Dude can both sing.
Therion - Does this count? I'll count them.
Aesma Daeva - One of the best and most original progressive'ish metal bands around. And Lori is the best of the best in metal operatic vocalists. Previous vocalist Melissa Ferlaak is impressive as well (she's currently with Adyta and Echoterra, and also was with Visions of Atlantis).
Sinergy - Best rocking female vocalist in metal. I want more.

My main problem with most female led metal bands is that the bands often have very generic riffs and melodies. And the female voice rarely seems to fit in properly with more aggressive music. I don't think this is a must. Its just that few have figured out how to make it work.

I'm sure I left out a few bands.

My fav personally is White Skull, that is before they got rid of the original female vocalist. Great riffs and a very Doro-type of singer. Basically, a power metal band with a female singer with for lack of a better term, balls! Haha.

this is a band that only did one album with female singer i really enjoyed.

10470.jpg

CHARISMA - Karma (1999)

Two of my current favorites are:

Magica and Echoes of Eternity. Both of these bands have the aggressive riffs, but the female vox works for them. If you haven't checked these bands out, then do so. :kickass:

~Brian~

Amaranthe

Nightwish - of Course

Silenced Within - awesome goth metal from Houston

Crimfall

To-Mera

Any band with Olivia Berka

Two of my current favorites are:

Magica and Echoes of Eternity. Both of these bands have the aggressive riffs, but the female vox works for them. If you haven't checked these bands out, then do so. :kickass:

~Brian~

Agreed on EoE. Haven't ever heard Magica, so I may check them out sometime.

I really dig Benedictum quite a bit. Lullacry was a lot of fun too. Jet Trail is a cool "Saraya" type hard rock/metal band....good stuff. Of course, I really like anything with Floor Jansen, Lana Lane and I love Within Temptation and Nightwish....not too surprising.

King Kobra

Only you would think of this Jason, but I have to give you props for doing so! :lol:

If Mark could turn into Marcie, then sure James can become Jamie, right?

c.

Poor ol' Marcie...she's such a misunderstood...person! :lol: I read somewhere where "Marcie" was re-uniting with Unruly Child for another album.

After Forever are, without a doubt, my favorite female-fronted band.

After Forever disbanding has to rank in my top 10 musical disappointments, ever. :erk:

~Brian~