Metal bands with female singers that I like

I don't think anyone has mentioned Angtoria yet. Fantastic band, but they only have one album out, as far as I know. I'd like them to release more. And if anyone is interested, the singer, Sarah Jezebel Deva (who has also beein in Cradle of Filth) has her own solo project, too. http://www.myspace.com/jezebeldeva

Not to forget, but Sarah was also a big part of Therion back in the day. Having met her during that timeframe and then later seeing them at ProgPower, I was saddened she'd gone her separate way in between times.

Rock Goddess...now that's going WAY back:loco: Hell Hath No Fury was a good song.

You want to include in that group Saraya, Femme Fatale but those bands were more 80's hard rock. (that's hilariious Metalsped...I just noticed your post about Saraya). Femme Fatale had a couple of big hits including Falling In and Out of Love and Waiting for the Big One.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSuFV3e97VM

Do you think they were trying to sell sex appeal in this video? :lol: Even this is too cheesy for me with the whole spanking herself to the beat of the music! :lol: I need some Badlands to cleanse my soul after watching this! :p

~Brian~

this is a band that only did one album with female singer i really enjoyed.

10470.jpg

CHARISMA - Karma (1999)

Agreed. Totally underrated and overlooked gem!

So I guess no Jex Thoth or Sirens of Titan fans?
Saraya were certainly a good rock band I think they had more to offer. As for Femme Fatale it was ok. It is difficult to take much of it something about a chick singing about dick just isn't my cup of tea. Although I do have the album.
My girlfriend really likes them which is odd considering how much she rags on hair bands and that kind of stuff. Of course I occassionally catch her rocking out to Tyketto and Hurricane.

Chastain (Leather Leone era - uber alles)
Zed Yago (Jutta Weinhold era)
Malteze
Warlock
Acid
Sentinel Beast
Znowhite
Crystal Viper
Benedictum
Metal Lady
Volnaya Staya

So I guess no Jex Thoth or Sirens of Titan fans?
Saraya were certainly a good rock band I think they had more to offer. As for Femme Fatale it was ok. It is difficult to take much of it something about a chick singing about dick just isn't my cup of tea. Although I do have the album.
My girlfriend really likes them which is odd considering how much she rags on hair bands and that kind of stuff. Of course I occassionally catch her rocking out to Tyketto and Hurricane.

I mentioned Jex Thoth in my post. Great stuff. How about Solstice? Their stuff has just been re-issued.

September Mourning - Metalcore - This band is amazing, amazing singer, amazing lyrics, good guitar and bass. Strictly speaking it's an art project with a graphic novel that accompanies each album and each uses the other to tell its story but is nonetheless amazing and the comic is not neccesary to appreciate the music itself. This band mainly uses clean singing, however Emily Lazaar (the vocalist) is able to scream and scream well and in ways and places that truly complement the music, normally I do not get so hyped and love a band so much but this is a very special exception, also good for anybody who likes In This Moment. They have three music videos out right now, Before the Fall, the best, Eye of the Storm, good but not that great and Skin and Bones which is pretty good but a bit more rock oriented. (I've also racked up 260 listens of Angels to Dust according to iTunes) (Also feels more like an awesome fusion of industrial, alternative and Gothic metal tbh)

Otep - Nu Metal - Blends in a lot of hip-hop and rap elements while keeping a very heavy approach, very good on a few songs, ok on others.

Flyleaf - Nu Metal? - I don't know much about this band but I have listened to a little and I like it.

In This Moment - Metalcore - Feels more Gothic and Alternative mixed than Metalcore but I've heard different things. The earlier albums were kind of emo metal but the most recent few, particularly Blood and Black Widow. Very good band, good mixture of clean and screaming and Maria Brink's voice is amazing.

Sad Alice Said - Gothic Metal - A really cute, nice experience with good lyrics and symphonic elements. Not too much relistening value but worthwhile all the same. The singer is very good and the rest of the band is as well.

Ravenscry - Gothic Metal - In my mind, the lesser known, somewhat better version of Lacuna Coil. Italian metal and with elements of synths here and there. Great lyrics, amazing singing and a good and interesting sound. I recommend very highly to anyone into Gothic metal.

Lacuna Coil - Gothic Metal - Good band, Christina Scabbia does share the stage with another male singer but the moment she opens her mouth to sing, it's pretty clear why this band is considered female-fronted. The lyrics are somewhat generic but not bad, their most recent album "Delerium" has more heaviness to it and is a quick fix for Gothic metal fans.

Butcher Babies - Metalcore/thrash metal - Most of their stuff is trying to be edgy so their lyrical side isn't that great however the music will carry you away. Heavy, aggressive. The clean singing isn't that great but complemented well by the screaming so you don't mind it. The bass and the guitar are amazing and the rhythms are powerful. Actually fronted by two women, they are a good, heavy band. My only recommendation is that you don't want to listen to too much at a time or it may seem same-y. In Denial and particularly Magnolia Blvd. are good introductions to this band.

Death of Art - Gothic Electronica - I just want to add this as a little change of pace, cute local band in my nearby area, wanted to spread their name a bit. Really for anyone who wants a somewhat soft, easy to listen to bit of Gothic music-y goodness.

Evanescence - Gothic Rock - Obvious deal here.

Fit For Rivals - Punk Rock - I know, I know it isn't metal but punk rock and metal can be hard to tell the difference from each other sometimes and someone may enjoy. Good band, nice sound.

The Nearly Deads - Punk Rock - Same deal as fit for Rivals, got a few others like this if anyone is interested.

Eowyn - Christian Rock - There is this one song "Beautiful Ashes" which is basically Gothic Metal and it is surprisingly good aside from horrible bit of sampling at the very beginning. I recommend checking it out.

The Distillers - Punk Metal - Hard, thrash-y, what more could you want.

The Pretty Reckless - Punk Rock - Same as above

Within Temptation - Symphonic Metal - Been mentioned before.

Stitched Up Heart - Alternative Metal - Okay, not bad, but not great either, still fun to listen to though, just not something you would really get into either.

Autumn – Gothic Metal
Autumn – Gothic Rock
Magnetic – Gothic Metal
The Letter Black

These too, one of the Autumn's, they have all their music for free on their website,I can't remember anything about The Letter Black.

Red Handed Denial (Lauren Babic) - Protest the Hero style with a female singer. What's not to like.

Lauren also does a bunch of good covers, my favorite being this one that really showcases her clean power and screams in one song.

Helion Prime - sci-fi themed, nice "normal" female singer

This may be heresy on this board, but I dug Evanesence's first album. Granted, Amy Lee really couldn't pull it off live, but the first album was about as good of a nu metal album as there was in the early 2000s.

As for more traditional female fronted metal bands, there was a pretty cool band called Lunatica that went under the radar. More recently, I've become to dig Beyond the Black. I'll admit that both were pretty generic, but they do the sound pretty well.

As for outstanding female-fronted metal bands, you can't get much better than Nightwish in all its incarnations. However, I'd have to give the nod to After Forever as my favorite. Finally, you have to include Warlock in the discussion.

The Gathering will always be for me the greatest female fronted band of all time, the Anneke era of that band is just perfection. Also love Lee Douglas from Anathema, her addition to the band has been amazing.

I think some of the best female vocalists and most under appreciated are in doom metal. My fav would be Cecilie Langlie, she's been in a bunch of doom bands with the best being Skumring. So much emotion.

In prog there is Frequency Drift who have had a revolving door of vocalists. They have a big discography which is very hit and miss, but the albums Ghosts and Laid to Rest are fantastic.

iamthemorning is a great prog band as well, zero connection to metal though. Marjana Semkina is incredible and could really be the heir to Anneke's throne as the go to female vocalist in prog.

I'm a big fan of Epica, After Forever, Leaves Eyes, and others. But you all know about those.

So I give you Witchburn, from Seattle. Caught them as an opener for someone and really enjoyed their set:

After seeing them live in Asheville with Blind Guardian, it's hard to top Sabrina with Seven Kingdoms....she can belt it!!

As far as modern rock bands are concerned....Amy Lee of Evanescence (hard for me to say they're metal) and Lizzy Hale of Halestorm.