Metal Favorites

Most DM lacks feeling and interesting melody. Second wave/orthodox BM tends to put ideology/lyrics/general kvltness above proper songwriting

I think this too much of a generalisation and overstatement for me to agree with. Do you have any examples where this is an issue for you? Preferably using widely well regarded albums.

I think this too much of a generalisation and overstatement for me to agree with. Do you have any examples where this is an issue for you? Preferably using widely well regarded albums.

Comparative hyperbole just to contrast the rest of the 3 genres to bands/style I'm referencing. I'm not trying to paint them in a negative light. Ultimately, the amazing balance achieved with these is my point. Pushing too hard in the pure genres- be it heavy-ness, raw-ness, evil-ness, folk influences, etc. makes the end product seem itself an exaggerated caricature of what they're trying to achieve rather than being a well balanced result.

I dunno, Death Metal is intentionally clinical and ahuman in my opinion. Feeling doesn't really come into it, the intention is less to communicate an emotion than to evoke awe. As to melody, I guess straight forward DM doesn't have any (assuming the word melody is limited to the straight forward Maidenish melodies found on melodic death metal albums).

^i still consider the first part of that a bit of a generalisation but it at least applies to a large portion of DM. kinda depends what's being meant by 'feeling' though as 'awe' could fall under that bracket.

i personally think (early) at the gates and the chasm have the most interesting sense of melody of any metal bands, but they're also minority/niche bands within the genre. i too find myself tiring of the more 'inhuman' side of DM nowadays, although the mood does take me now and again.

The only Death Metal bands I can actually remember you liking are Morbid Angel and Autopsy. It fits Morbid Angel well... Autopsy probably try to evoke disgust/repugnance more than awe.

I prefer death metal with energy and attitude, disgust and repugnance. I'm into Consuming Impulse, Scream Bloody Gore, Autopsy/Abscess, Rottrevore, Mortician, Pungent Stench, Soulside Journey, Lobotomized, Necrophagia...

Then again, Bolt Thrower I think falls into your definitions and I love that band.

I'm genuinely surprised by this love of Mortician. Maybe I should revisit them. My memory of them is a joke band even worse than Six Feet Under.

I really liked this Bolzer EP when I first heard it not long after it came out, but its appeal kinda wore off after 10 or so listens. I should revisit it. The first track was the best imo.

I wonder when they'll finally release a full length.

I really enjoyed the riffs on that EP a lot. Really interesting and bendy riffs. C.M.E. and Entranced by the Wolfshook are definitely my favorite. I think Entranced by the Wolfshock had the riff everyone was going crazy about around 3:50ish... Still gives me the feels.

Also, by inhuman DM are we talking about Taphos Nomos? That stuff rules.

Reactions: EternalMetal
I really enjoyed the riffs on that EP a lot. Really interesting and bendy riffs. C.M.E. and Entranced by the Wolfshook are definitely my favorite. I think Entranced by the Wolfshock had the riff everyone was going crazy about around 3:50ish... Still gives me the feels.

Also, by inhuman DM are we talking about Taphos Nomos? That stuff rules.

Oh really? I thought it would have been that intro riff that they use a few times throughout the song.

I still think Bolzer's demo is their best. The title track is huge.

I've not heard their demo yet. I'll give it a shot.