Metal For the Messiah Fest Maryville, TN

DFD260

Feb 3, 2008
Dayton, TN
My friends Rent Veil will be playing along with Beyond Bethel, Awake The Suffering, Dead Moon's Grey, A Hero Remains & Against The Opposition at Smoky View Baptist Church in Maryville, TN Aug. 21

why is this called a fest when it is nothing but a bunch of local bands playing?

from wikipedia:

A music festival is a festival oriented towards music that is sometimes presented with a theme such as musical genre, nationality or locality of musicians, or holiday.

I think both of those apply here. Even as you have pointed out.

When I think of a music "fest". I think of something a little extra than just local bands playing a show. Like maybe a dealer room, a drawing headliner, maybe a guest MC for the show, contest, or something to make it something different than just another local show with a fancy name.

I am not saying that local fest are not fun. Just saying the the term "fest" is tossed around so much it's meaning get diminished. It seems like someone will toss 4 bands on a bill and suddenly it is a fest.

I am not saying that local fest are not fun. Just saying the the term "fest" is tossed around so much it's meaning get diminished. It seems like someone will toss 4 bands on a bill and suddenly it is a fest.

Agreed. Especially when it's only a five band show. Plenty of touring packages have that many bands after the promoters and a local or two. Nothing special.

from wikipedia:

A music festival is a festival oriented towards music that is sometimes presented with a theme such as musical genre, nationality or locality of musicians, or holiday.

I think both of those apply here. Even as you have pointed out.

You seem to have missed the part where it says: "a music festival is a festival oriented towards music..."

When I think of a music "fest". I think of something a little extra than just local bands playing a show. Like maybe a dealer room, a drawing headliner, maybe a guest MC for the show, contest, or something to make it something different than just another local show with a fancy name.

Sounds like a fest to me, if there are a lot of bands. A festival usually implies something lengthier and with more participants than a mere concert.

I think they do this every year so they call it a fest. Every year in Nashville they have an Independence Day Metal Fest with local bands and BBQ. It doesn't have to have bigger bands to be a fest. We have alot of fun hanging out with the bands and talking metal.

Thanks johan68 that's all I was trying to do. Just help promote my friends and the other local bands on the bill. And you're right whatever they call the event doesn't matter. As long as the music is good and people have a good time is what matters most.

You'll have to excuse Diabolik....in Chicago, almost every show has a bunch of local acts before a main touring band. So, what may be considered a fest in Maryville TN is just another show in Chicago...

Diabolik....have you ever been to Maryville TN? If you had, I would think you would understand why this is a "festival".

I understand. In the south any time we get a bunch of metal bands together we like to celebrate. Especially since we don't get as many shows and if we do we have to travel alot of the time. Alot of great bands in the south.

Who gives a shit if they call it fest, party, festival or extravaganza.....?

The man (or woman) is telling us a about a metal show. Go or don't go.

Johan, I think that you missed the memo where there must be at least one dickhead per thread.

Diabolik....have you ever been to Maryville TN? If you had, I would think you would understand why this is a "festival".

Guys, stay in Chicago, we're perfectly fine down here in Tennessee. If we have to drive a little to get to a decent metal show, so be it. Rebel at heart but southern by the grace of God! ;)

What are you laughing at? Doesn't the Statue of Liberty face the other direction from Jersey? :lol:

~Brian~

Johan, I think that you missed the memo where there must be at least one dickhead per thread.

~Brian~

Rarow! Brian's getting feisty.

In all seriousness, both sides make a good point but this thread is seriously giving me a headache that we're arguing over what is and isn't a festival. I would chime in with Diabolik and Zod though since if this is a fest then almost every metal show would then be considered a fest.