Mikael Åkerfeldt, Peter Lindgren Ranked #42 GUITAR WORLDs 100 Greatest Metal Guitaris

Damnit, I hate these kind of lists. Everything is based of people who just vote for the ones in their favorite bands instead actually analyzing things.

Seriously now, hammet and hetfield? How the hell does that happen?

Abou said:
Seriously now, hammet and hetfield? How the hell does that happen?

I don't see how anyone, Met fan or no, could deny the influence these guys had on the bands that followed them. They may not be the best, but at least back in the day, they were one of the biggest name in thrash, and deservingly so.

I assume that only a subnormal would say that head & Munky (damn, those are tough words to be written!) are anywhere near good guitarists. Let Alone better than Petrucci, Romeo , Michael Angelo, Jim Matheos... etc. That list is really something awful!!

Hetfield and Hammet's long reach and influence on many bands is an overrated statement especially with that tripe called St. Anger. Over time you will see them die out and only their first albums will be anything to talk about.

A person like Robert Fripp and his reach is everlasting and him being at seventy-five is pure testament to how horrid this list is.

bangadrian said:
When people talk about the greatness of Metallica, they're NOT TALKING ABOUT ST ANGER. It's true that only their 80s albums are "anything to talk about", but that doesn't diminish the overwhelming influence of both guitarists on heavy metal.

But on a lighter note, I totally agree that Robert Fripp is a genius. Whether or not King Crimson is/was a "heavy metal" band..... that's a different debate.
Of course they are not talking about St. Anger. However, that album will soon lead to a downslide in their already diminishing popularity. They never did anything really special compared to many on that list.

And as you mentioned with Fripp the list needs to be reworked.

It's a hell of a alot better than rolling stone's list (Of course the one in rolling stone wasn't just "metal" guitarists)

Where's James Murphy and Andy LaRoque?

To those of you who think Tom Morello is good. Steve Vai makes more weird noises than him AND he can actually play his axe. Not to mention RATM has the name Rage Against the Machine and was fuckin' signed to Sony for god's sake. (Not that that has anything to do with his playing ability)

Kirk Hammet has played the same scales in his solos for the past 20 years.