miserable obnoxious bitch

dreaming neon darkspot

natures' retard
May 13, 2002
in times of grace
i feel pretty retarded ranting about this but it bothered me way more than it should have and also kinda confounded me so i guess i just need to get it out

so i'm at my register at work and this couple comes up - late 20s, early 30s - with a cartload of stuff. there's this HUGE boxed-up sink on top of their cart, over some other stuff, and some ceiling fans on top of the sink. so i'm trying to negotiate this precarious balance of stuff as best i can and the woman, who's had this scowl on her face since she got there and is just making all these snide remarks, is making me nervous as hell and the guy just seems generally pissed off.

i ring the sink up and it's $309. they say there's a display saying it's $249. i call the appliances dept, explain the situation to the woman back there and she kinda groans and says "i think i know the couple you mean" and says that the display is just a different kind than the one they have and that's it. i tell them, they say they have the display model, i tell her, she says that they DO have a different model, i tell them - this exchange happens like FIVE times before the guy opens the box and realizes that they do indeed HAVE THE WRONG MODEL.

the guy lifts the sink off the cart and asks where he can put it, because it's really heavy and he can't walk it back. at that point i just want them to be gone so i tell him he can put it on the counter of the register next to mine, which isn't in use and has a gate shut in front of it, and that i'll move it out of the way when i get the chance. so he puts it there, i keep ringing the stuff up, the woman keeps scowling and making me uncomfortable.

so the other register open gets a line and one of my supervisors, this 60-some year old lady who is one of the sweetest people on earth, comes over to the register next to mine saying she's going to open it but realizes she can't move the sink off of the counter. she gets frustrated with that and the woman points to me and in the most flippant tone possible says "Well, that's where she told him he could put it." my supervisor mentions that i should've told him to get a cart and take it back himself, i apologize, say i didn't realize she'd be using that register and say i'll try to move it when i can.

my supervisor walks away, the woman looks insanely pissed, i ask her if something's wrong and she says "Yeah, her attitude!" and i almost start laughing because this woman has been doing nothing but scowling at me since i saw her. so i finish ringing her up, get the number for the sink she's buying, charge her for it, she pays but has to stay there for wait for her husband to get back with the sink. i ask her if she's gonna need loading help for the stuff and she says no but then, in this super-mega-bitch-tone of hers says "I was just wondering if there was a gentleman in the store who could get the sink off that counter." i say i'll call someone and as i'm calling someone, a guy from another dept walks by with a flat-cart (fairly obvious indicator that he's gonna go do something) and she rolls her eyes and says "There's a guy right there." i just wind up grabbing one of the lumber guys who walks by and he does it

after that i get moved over to another register further down to do someone's break but the couple is still there and i guess the woman had asked my supervisor if she could talk to one of our managers about her attitude. so my supervisor calls one of the managers on duty who then comes over. when the manager comes over, the woman apparently asks my supervisor "Don't you have something to do?" as a way of getting her to leave them alone. so i'm on the next register dealing with like five other customers at once, and just see this woman talking to my manager pointing wildly at my supervisor and i, just going off.

yeah, i'm just bothered way more deeply by this than i should be but i fucking hate people like that - who are so fucking self-important and just fucking malicious. christ, there could be ramifications to my and my supervisors' jobs because of this bitch who took something that wasn't that big of a deal and not even her problem and just turned it into a shitstorm.

:yell:

*shrug* honestly, as i was typing it out i guess i was seeing it more clearly, and even my supervisor said "yeah, i guess she had a problem with me saying that her husband should've done that himself instead of offering to fucking wait on him" - my biggest problem was that this woman just walked into the building with a chip on her shoulder and then called someone out on an attitude problem - but i just generally have such an intense problem with people like that. it reminds me of shit from college, aka shit that fucking spoiled bratty 19 year-olds pull on girls they know don't fight back so i guess it's just deep-seated bitterness more than anything.

entirely too often, i find myself relating situations from the microcosm of retail to the ills of society and human nature. sometimes, i think i'm mentally unhealthy.

Sounds like retail to me.

It seems like you handled the situation correctly. You didn't "fly off the handle" or "get an attitude" with the costumer. You didn't do anything wrong. Sometimes you get those type of costumers, and that is just a part of retail.

i know that's just a part of life, get used to it, etc. but it just bothers me that people think it's okay to act like that and other people don't discourage it. i think the same thing when i see someone's fucking obnoxious teenager or toddler. there's a difference between standing up for yourself and just being difficult and stuck up, and there's a time to stand up for yourself and a time to just acquiesce and not bother people when it's not an issue.

one thing i realized as that your employer will not penalize you for legitimately standing up for yourself... for example, an angry customer is cursing at you or insulting you, etc... everything else is just trying to get them pacified long enough to get them the hell out of the store which it sounds like you attempted to do to your fullest extent. its agitating but you certainly didnt do anything wrong.

and im sure anyone who has ever worked a retail job has allll kinds of fucked up stories about people who are just angry or stupid or annoying... moreso all 3...

ill throw in one of mine... I'm a computer tech. by trade, I used to work for Circuit City's firedog. I had a customer bring me his computer, explain to me what was wrong and was very peaceful along the way. I tested his computer over and over and over and over and could not duplicate the error for the life of me. i couldnt find anything wrong with this guys computer... so the time comes that i need to call him and in a lot of words tell him "yyeahhh your computer ISNT broken" and he FREAKKKS the fuck out. Storms in to the store, yelling about wanting to see a manager, all this bs. I proceeded to take down one of your display machines and put his in place so that he could see for himself before he left the store that his computer works just fine.

It didnt really answer the question about what had happened to him before, but it certainly shut him enough to make him leave. *breath*

no. it's the fact that you guys EXPECT something from the customer. of course people are going to be a pain in the ass. they want to save a couple pennies, and if something is labeled incorrectly, then they should get it for that price. it's as simple as that. I deal with fat bitches that can't read (see: black) all the time and I do my job without freaking out too badly. Chill out and change your user title to this thread's name.

*strokes beard* Shallow and pedantic.

Yes, I agree. Shallow and pedantic.

I hate people like that lady. Who just want to bring someone down with her in a horrible mood.
But I love retail because of that feeling you get when you make one person really happy or people are just so nice. Seems like they redeem that rest of their species.

Eat some cheetos!

Laura - Don't take it so hard. It's pretty common to be deeply disturbed by behavior that's irrational and has no basis in reality. When people act crazy, I think something snaps in our brain refusing to allow that they could genuinely be that "off" and yet, we are witnessing it for ourselves, so we can't disallow it, either. Somehow, this conflict makes us angry. But, as others have said, that's retail. Purely becuase of the volume of people you help in any given day, you are absolutely bound to meet a huge % of the fruit-loop-tossing-loonies in our society. Morever, in this case, it might have only been a temporary insanity, or that lady might simply need personality lessons, raising the % of whack-jobs you'll encounter.

The solution? Well, first, I think Liverslapper is right and you handled it well. I think, also, that your supervisor handled it well. And, without knowing what the manager said, listening to the complaint and saying "I'm really sorry you feel that way" would have been correct, so it's possible he did the right thing, too. Had your manager taken Ms Personality Disorder seriously, he'd have interviewed you, so it's clear he didn't and Little Miss Sunshine left the store. Good. Now, after everyone handles the situation properly, step two is easy. You just need to take a deep, cleansing breath. Relax, and repeat to yourself: "I'm not living with that freakshow!" Repeat as needed until you feel better, but not so long that you start to feel sorry for Mr. Freakshow. Then, when or if you have kids, raise them right so they don't behave like that in public. The best revenge is living well and being happy.

i feel pretty retarded ranting about this but it bothered me way more than it should have and also kinda confounded me so i guess i just need to get it out

so i'm at my register at work and this couple comes up - late 20s, early 30s - with a cartload of stuff. there's this HUGE boxed-up sink on top of their cart, over some other stuff, and some ceiling fans on top of the sink. so i'm trying to negotiate this precarious balance of stuff as best i can and the woman, who's had this scowl on her face since she got there and is just making all these snide remarks, is making me nervous as hell and the guy just seems generally pissed off.

i ring the sink up and it's $309. they say there's a display saying it's $249. i call the appliances dept, explain the situation to the woman back there and she kinda groans and says "i think i know the couple you mean" and says that the display is just a different kind than the one they have and that's it. i tell them, they say they have the display model, i tell her, she says that they DO have a different model, i tell them - this exchange happens like FIVE times before the guy opens the box and realizes that they do indeed HAVE THE WRONG MODEL.

the guy lifts the sink off the cart and asks where he can put it, because it's really heavy and he can't walk it back. at that point i just want them to be gone so i tell him he can put it on the counter of the register next to mine, which isn't in use and has a gate shut in front of it, and that i'll move it out of the way when i get the chance. so he puts it there, i keep ringing the stuff up, the woman keeps scowling and making me uncomfortable.

so the other register open gets a line and one of my supervisors, this 60-some year old lady who is one of the sweetest people on earth, comes over to the register next to mine saying she's going to open it but realizes she can't move the sink off of the counter. she gets frustrated with that and the woman points to me and in the most flippant tone possible says "Well, that's where she told him he could put it." my supervisor mentions that i should've told him to get a cart and take it back himself, i apologize, say i didn't realize she'd be using that register and say i'll try to move it when i can.

my supervisor walks away, the woman looks insanely pissed, i ask her if something's wrong and she says "Yeah, her attitude!" and i almost start laughing because this woman has been doing nothing but scowling at me since i saw her. so i finish ringing her up, get the number for the sink she's buying, charge her for it, she pays but has to stay there for wait for her husband to get back with the sink. i ask her if she's gonna need loading help for the stuff and she says no but then, in this super-mega-bitch-tone of hers says "I was just wondering if there was a gentleman in the store who could get the sink off that counter." i say i'll call someone and as i'm calling someone, a guy from another dept walks by with a flat-cart (fairly obvious indicator that he's gonna go do something) and she rolls her eyes and says "There's a guy right there." i just wind up grabbing one of the lumber guys who walks by and he does it

after that i get moved over to another register further down to do someone's break but the couple is still there and i guess the woman had asked my supervisor if she could talk to one of our managers about her attitude. so my supervisor calls one of the managers on duty who then comes over. when the manager comes over, the woman apparently asks my supervisor "Don't you have something to do?" as a way of getting her to leave them alone. so i'm on the next register dealing with like five other customers at once, and just see this woman talking to my manager pointing wildly at my supervisor and i, just going off.

yeah, i'm just bothered way more deeply by this than i should be but i fucking hate people like that - who are so fucking self-important and just fucking malicious. christ, there could be ramifications to my and my supervisors' jobs because of this bitch who took something that wasn't that big of a deal and not even her problem and just turned it into a shitstorm.

:yell:

I understand it upsets you but the best thing to do is just ignore it, not let it get to you, fuck them. It's the simplest solution :D

no. it's the fact that you guys EXPECT something from the customer. of course people are going to be a pain in the ass. they want to save a couple pennies, and if something is labeled incorrectly, then they should get it for that price. it's as simple as that. I deal with fat bitches that can't read (see: black) all the time and I do my job without freaking out too badly. Chill out and change your user title to this thread's name.

:lol: OH SNAP!

Will is 100% right. I worked nightshift at a convenience store. I've dealt with faaaar worse. I've been robbed at night point, been in fists fights, had drunks go nuts in the store and I even hid a girl in the back and held off a potential rapist, who I ended up making mop the floor :lol: No word of a lie. Night time leads to crazy, funny stories.