My 20 Best Metal Bands Of All Time List

Jabomba

New Metal Member
Nov 2, 2015
These are the 20 bands who I believe, not based upon my personal liking but rather upon my objective opinion, are the best of all time. They are ranked in order, with 1 being the greatest metal band of all time. I'd like to know if you agree or not with my opinion.

20. Motorhead
19. Dio
18. Opeth
17. Carcass
16. King Diamond
15. Metallica
14. Mastodon
13. Sunn 0)))
12. Pantera
11. Earth
10. Burzum
9. Slayer
8. Tool
7. Megadeth
6. Dream Theater
5. The Melvins
4. Iron Maiden
3. Death
2. Judas Priest
1. Black Sabbath

These are the 20 bands who I believe, not based upon my personal liking but rather upon my objective opinion, are the best of all time. They are ranked in order, with 1 being the greatest metal band of all time. I'd like to know if you agree or not with my opinion.

20. Motorhead
19. Dio
18. Opeth
17. Carcass
16. King Diamond
15. Metallica
14. Mastodon
13. Sunn 0)))
12. Pantera
11. Earth
10. Burzum
9. Slayer
8. Tool
7. Megadeth
6. Dream Theater
5. The Melvins
4. Iron Maiden
3. Death
2. Judas Priest
1. Black Sabbath

Instead of shredding your list, I'll just mention that you, at least, have some of the classics in there. The ones in red I would not give you grief over.

There are a few surprising selections on there. I was expecting worse.

Instead of shredding your list, I'll just mention that you, at least, have some of the classics in there. The ones in red I would not give you grief over.

add the melvins, burzum, dio and motorhead to your reds and i agree.

worst band on the list is probably dream theater?

Just 1 persons opinion but mastodon, sunn, pantera, earth, tool, opeth, melvins don't belong on a top 20 metal list. Some of those are questionably even metal. The rest are pretty predictable as others have said. Although that means they're pretty spot on. Black sabbath Metallica etc Do belong on any top 20 metal list easily.

add the melvins, burzum, dio and motorhead to your reds and i agree.

worst band on the list is probably dream theater?

If I took into account RJD's entire career from Elf to Dio, I might consider it in the top 40 or so. His importance and style outweighed his actual musical output (not to say that his musical output is anything to slag off, of course).

Not liking Dio is blasphemy! Dio's inclusion should not be a cause of grief, that is true. I recant that.

let's just agree that songs like stargazer, gates of babylon, kill the king and heaven & hell blow most of the above list out of the water.

... and Lady of the Lake, Caught in the Middle, everything off of Mob Rules, Time to Burn, etc.

:)

I think that Rainbow is the best thing Dio was a part of during his entire career. They would make my top 20.