My prog theory

dargormudshark

Sep 25, 2003
houston,Tx
www.dreamspaceonline.com
I have noticed this, some prog metal bands are just metal versions of prog rock bands for example:

Symphony X=Kansas
Dream Theater=Rush
Pain Of Salvation=King Crimson (That one is pretty subjective though)

I know there are more and I posted this so I could try to think of some more comparisons.

Symphony X do not=Kansas

there are elements of Kansas...but no more than there are of Queen or Malmsteen.

And no....PoS are not a metal version of King Crimson :)

Luis said:
SumphonyX = Kansas + ELP + Yes + Malmsteen + A lot of classical influences.

Maybe those are SumphonyX's influences but when I listen to Symphony X, these are some of the influences that pop out to me the most:

Malmsteen
Rush
Kansas
Rainbow
Priest
ELP
John Williams
Pantera
Helloween (on stuff like Evolution)
Queen

Yngvai X said:
Wow, thats one of the most untrue statements I ever read :)

How much Kansas have you heard? Yeah sure they have elements of other bands too, but listen to "The Pinnacle", all you would really have to do is make the guitars more technical and more double bass. I think that one made the most sense out of all of them. The PoS is a bit far fetched but they are both kind of wierd in the same way, even though I would normally never compare them to anyone.

dargormudshark said:
How much Kansas have you heard? Yeah sure they have elements of other bands too, but listen to "The Pinnacle", all you would really have to do is make the guitars more technical and more double bass. I think that one made the most sense out of all of them. The PoS is a bit far fetched but they are both kind of wierd in the same way, even though I would normally never compare them to anyone.

I'm not saying that SymX does not have a lot of Kansas in them...but to just say they're a "metal verison of Kansas" is like saying Yngwie is a metal version of Paganini...sure the influence is there but its certainly not the only thing there, and certainly not enough of an influence to make such a broad, blanketed statement.

symphony x should definetly cover "carry on wayward son", now that i think about it. i love that song.

Yngvai X said:
Maybe those are SumphonyX's influences but when I listen to Symphony X, these are some of the influences that pop out to me the most:

Malmsteen
Rush
Kansas
Rainbow
Priest
ELP
John Williams
Pantera
Queen
Add UK to that list and you got yourself a deal.

I wouldn't call POS the modern incarnation of any 70s prog band, and especially not Crimson as they have always been defined by the instrumental dynamics and lyrics have never been their primary concern (except maybe on the earliest KC albums). That said, I can think a comparison can be drawn between Gildenlow and Peter Gabriel in that each use their vocal range to give character and drama to their compositions.

Malmsteen
Rush
Kansas
Rainbow
Priest
ELP
John Williams
Pantera
Queen

Add UK to that list and you got yourself a deal.

Add Shawn Lane to that list and you've really got a deal :p

OfSinsAndShred said:
I can see DT being a modern Rush in many ways. But SX equalling Kansas?

If I had to pick one single band to call them a modern metal version of, it'd be Queen.

If I had to pick one band to be call a modern metal version of Queen, its Blind Guardian :p

Yngvai X said:
If I had to pick one band to be call a modern metal version of Queen, its Blind Guardian :p
True words there. While there's more to SX than Kansas-isms (Accolade, Rediscovery), that parallel is more appropriate than the DT-Rush one. DT is more like nowadays' version of Deep Purple: five virtuosos who aren't afraid to show off like there's no tomorrow, but tend to lose their focus from time to time. Rush never did that.

dargormudshark said:
"are just metal versions of prog rock bands" seems an unfair statement to me. I've listened to and followed Kansas for many years. Sure, you can hear elements of Kansas, as well as many others. But these are "influences" which contribute to shaping their own distict style. The guys listened to and learned from a lot of good players and writers who came before them. It's a truly talented band who can establish a successful longevity with these elements and tastefully use them in their own style. I think of bands like Whitesnake, for instance, who were highly successful in a similar way, but they won't have staying power, only limited commercial appeal. DT > Rush? I really can't grasp that connection....sorry.

Yngvai X said:
I'm not saying that SymX does not have a lot of Kansas in them...but to just say they're a "metal verison of Kansas" is like saying Yngwie is a metal version of Paganini...sure the influence is there but its certainly not the only thing there, and certainly not enough of an influence to make such a broad, blanketed statement.

Well, you know yngwie likes to think he is a metal version fo pagannini :)

Demonspell said:
I wouldn't call POS the modern incarnation of any 70s prog band, and especially not Crimson as they have always been defined by the instrumental dynamics and lyrics have never been their primary concern (except maybe on the earliest KC albums). That said, I can think a comparison can be drawn between Gildenlow and Peter Gabriel in that each use their vocal range to give character and drama to their compositions.

That makes alot of sense too. When I said they were like Crimson I meant they have alot of different sides to them not necessarily sound. That's actually what I meant by this whole post.

Technically, I don't think you can't say any prog rock or metal bands are better than each other. Because the amount of albums is not the same. If prog metal follows the same path as prog rock than this is about the time it would start dying out, and you would just have a few good ones left.