Mystic Prophecy - Regressus(Opinion)

PriestMetalGods

Supersonic Hydromatic
Jan 18, 2004
Roselle, NJ
I just snagged this album with some Christmas cash a few weeks ago and i'm very on the fence with it. I enjoyed Lia's other band Valleys Eve a lot but it just seems that Mystic Prophecy is Valley's Eve with Gus G. I'm not sure which band came first but I still prefer Valley's Eve over MP at this point. Lia has the same weaknesses that he has with Valleys Eve, in my opinion. The biggest one is the way he has a set way of singing....he sings in a kind of boring range for verses and then turns into Bruce Dickinson for the choruses. The way he sings each chorus seems like its exactly the same from the song before. I know Tad Morose does this a lot, it just seems Tad Morose does this in a more creative way and doesn't overuse the method like MP does. Maybe its just me since this is only the second spin of the album and I need to listen a few more times. The music itself is pretty awesome but even that gets repetitve except for a few songs. The songs I do enjoy so far are Calling From Hell, In Your Sins, Sign of the Cross, Night Of The Storm and Regressus(Lost In Time), and Mystic Prophecy. At this point i'd give the album a 6.5/10.

Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with Valleys Eve but think Mystic Prophecy, DreamEvil, and Firewind are AWESOME. All hail Gus G.!!!!!!!!! Sorry I can't compare but maybe I will check out Valleys Eve.

PriestMetalGods said:
I just snagged this album with some Christmas cash a few weeks ago and i'm very on the fence with it. I enjoyed Lia's other band Valleys Eve a lot but it just seems that Mystic Prophecy is Valley's Eve with Gus G. I'm not sure which band came first but I still prefer Valley's Eve over MP at this point. Lia has the same weaknesses that he has with Valleys Eve, in my opinion. The biggest one is the way he has a set way of singing....he sings in a kind of boring range for verses and then turns into Bruce Dickinson for the choruses. The way he sings each chorus seems like its exactly the same from the song before. I know Tad Morose does this a lot, it just seems Tad Morose does this in a more creative way and doesn't overuse the method like MP does. Maybe its just me since this is only the second spin of the album and I need to listen a few more times. The music itself is pretty awesome but even that gets repetitve except for a few songs. The songs I do enjoy so far are Calling From Hell, In Your Sins, Sign of the Cross, Night Of The Storm and Regressus(Lost In Time), and Mystic Prophecy. At this point i'd give the album a 6.5/10.

Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.
I agree with you 100%. I have Mystic Prophecy as well as all of the Valley's Eve albums, and I prefer VE. I think it is due to the fact that MP is a bit too thrashy for me whereas VE has more prog/power elements to it.

This a pretty good disc......some good beat some @ss music. Two complaints 1. The songs do seem to sound similar to one another, if not for the chorus parts, I might be un-able to tell them apart. 2 Gus G is an excellent guitarist...I wish some of the solos were longer or ...its even OK to have more than 1 solo in a song. But these are just my thoughts. Overall, Power not Prog...8.5 out of 10

I like the CD. I agree that many songs do sound too similar to the other, especially the chorus parts. I like the way the singer sings and the thrashy riffs, but they do need to be more creative with the choruses. The same happened in their first CD, which is also pretty good.