Need Advice: Baltimore/Annapolis/DC familiars help!

enki3600

MetalHead & Engineer
Sep 20, 2004
Hey all, I'm on travel this week to Annapolis, and I know NOTHING about this area!

If anybody is familiar with the area, I could really use some advice on what to do whilst here! I know there's more of a metal scene here than there is in freakin' Iowa, so if anybody knows of any Metal shops (music, apparel, etc... is the kind of place I'm looking for mostly), or clubs, I would really appreciate throwing at me some names/addresses.

Also, what about good eateries? All I have is a goofy navigation system that lists the restaurant, its address and the types of payment it accepts :mad:

And who knows, there may even be a concert sometime this week around here too??

If anybody around here wants to meet up for anything at any given place, I'm game for that too! I'm free after about 6pm monday-thursday and have all day friday to go sight-seeing!

Thanks for the help!

Well, if you make it to Baltimore, most of the touristy stuff to do is at the Inner Harbor. You'll have a Legal Seafood and Cheesecake Factory among others there to eat. Hit the ESPNzone for overpriced video games, maybe do the bar thing (there's a little town/place right around there but I forget the name). Camden Yards is there too.

If you're in DC, well, I like a restaurant called SweetWater Tavern. Check out that chain at www.greatamericanrestaurants.com ! I've eaten at that one, Coastal Flats at the Tyson's Corner Mall (which is a really good mall if you're into that), and Artie's and all 3 have been solid.

THus far, I've found little to no metal in either city. Maybe I'm missing it.

For other stuff to do check out Citysearch.com for DC or Baltimore.

OdinsCourt said:
my band Odin's Court (Prog Metal) will be playing in Baltimore at Dick's from 9:30 to 1:30. :cool:

:headbang:

Well, if it's 9:30AM to 1:30PM then I can make it!! :loco:
(Flight leaves like 2:30P Sat)

I haven't yet gone searching for stuff out thar on the web yet. It was my intention, but the last 2 weeks have been hectic as hell, and with Gamma Ray on Friday, I barely had time to pack.

Thanks for the responses thus far, and I'll let you know if I end up finding any metal shops around here :headbang:

BTW, the ride to downtown Baltimore from Annapolis is about 25-30 minutes in good traffic. The fact that you are starting your excursions after 6 is good. ;-) I think the are that Woosta is referring to is Fells Point or Canton -- both hot spots in Baltimore as well as the Inner Harbor itself (which is actually very nice). Besides the water and pavillions hosting many nice eateries, there is also an area that has clubs of all sorts. The Hard Rock Cafe, The ESPN Zone, Ram's Head Live (some good shows come here), and right across from those places (close enough) is an area full of bars of various themes.

One of my favorite restaurants/bars is Coburn's in Canton. Of course all of these names mean nothing to you. From the Inner Harbor heading east, you run into Fells Point first in about 5-10 minutes. Another 5-10 minutes lands you in Canton. Baltimore is a seafood town, so if you like seafood, you are in the best place in the world! Fact, not opinion! ;-)

I don't know mcuh about DC as it is defnitely further from me than Baltimore (where I was born and raised), but I do know that I HATE driving in DC! If you had been here two weeks ago instead, you could've caught: Gamma Ray, Dragonforce, Spock's Beard, and Evergrey/Nevermore -- all at Jaxx!

Nothing much going on this week other than our show on Saturday (as Matt already pointed out). There is an elecrto/acoustic act that see on Wednesday's sometimes if you are really in the mood for some live entertainment PM me and I'll give you more info.

Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself!

enki3600 said:
Well, if it's 9:30AM to 1:30PM then I can make it!! :loco:
(Flight leaves like 2:30P Sat)

I haven't yet gone searching for stuff out thar on the web yet. It was my intention, but the last 2 weeks have been hectic as hell, and with Gamma Ray on Friday, I barely had time to pack.

Thanks for the responses thus far, and I'll let you know if I end up finding any metal shops around here :headbang:
:lol: I thought you might be leaving on Saturday, so that counts out any shows on Saturday. I did hop around the web some already for you and there really isn't much going on. Timing is everything!

Thanks Rick,
I'll have to be checking some of it out. I realize that my timing sucks for extra-cirriculars and all, but this is a "business" trip after all! It's an Antenna Design Theory course and it's only taught twice a year, and I opted for this one instead of the one held in Phoenix in July!! (I can handle winters of -40 and below, but I don't think I could handle arizona in july!) ... I was just hoping I'd possibly hit something for shows, but considering the much higher population density than the midwest, I was hoping there'd be SOME kind of stores here worth visiting!

I do like to try different restaurants though, so there's a bonus for me! I never was much of a seafood type, but I figured at least one day I'd hit up a REAL seafood joint (figuring the coast cities would probably be where the best is... compared to landlocked ND or IA).

OH YEAH!! what about microbreweries? There's GOT to be some of those around here!

HEYYYY! If you're gonna be in Annapolis and looking for a nice record store, check out Record and Tape Traders! We have MANY locations throughout the Baltimore area. We have EVERYTHING! CDs, DVDs, Games, Shirts, Posters, etc. And we sell new and USED! I have only been to the Annapolis store once (I work at the Catonsville location, also known as the METAL RECORD :) ), but being a loyal shopper for many many years I can't go into a Record without leaving with SOMETHING I have been looking for forever. There's always someone out there getting rid of beautiful metal albums, haha! Check out the website www.recordandtapetraders.com . Hopefully if you do get a chance to visit the annap store you enjoy, it truly is a wonderful company and store. I hope I don't sound like a fucking advertisement I'm just trying to pass the word of the store to you :). Hope you enjoy your trip to this area! I would list some upcoming shows but off the top of my head I can't think of any coming up next week minus Odin's Court's show in Baltimore (Which I just found out about :p .) CHEERS!

BlackenedDawn said:
I hope I don't sound like a fucking advertisement I'm just trying to pass the word of the store to you :). Hope you enjoy your trip to this area!

Nope, this is precisely the info I was looking for! Much appreciation!
So far things are ok, found my way from the airport ok and didn't get into a wreck. (I have a feeling day time traffic is going to make me cringe :erk: )

Unfortunately, the weather forecast tells me that all but one day that I'm here is going to be thunderstorms... and that day is of course going to be cloudy!
What the hell is it following me? I just came from 5 days of major winds and rain :ill:

But I'm gonna make the best of it!

Rick Pierpont said:
I don't know mcuh about DC as it is defnitely further from me than Baltimore (where I was born and raised), but I do know that I HATE driving in DC!

How could you not love driving in DC? I do it everyday, delivering "stuff" downtown and around the Beltway. Then again, it doesn't hurt that there's a lot of skirt and leg (wrapped in nylons, of course) to scope out. Oh how I love the Spring months!

Enki: I don't know if you're a history buff, but there are lots and lots of Maryland historical sites to see in Annapolis. There use to be a microbrewery downtown near the harbor, but I don't know if it's still there. Hang around the harbor area and I guarantee you'll find something to get into.

-Cam

Fells Point and Canton are definitely good places to hit in Baltimore; I'm partial to the Chesapeake Wine Company on Boston St. in Canton. If you like Italian food, Little Italy is crawling with hole-in-the-wall family-owned restaurants with food to die for. There's a HUGE Latin community in Fells Point too, if you want Mexican food - I keep meaning to check out the restaurants there but never have.

The Harbor has the ESPN Zone (food is overpriced and lackluster), two story Barnes & Noble, Hard Rock Cafe, Flag museum, African American museum, various art museums, the Constitution (ship), the Aquarium, the Maryland Science Center and IMAX... Chipotle (yummy burritos), Houlihan's, Best Buy...

BlackenedDawn said:
(I work at the Catonsville location, also known as the METAL RECORD :) )

I live a couple miles down the street from that location. Haven't been there in ages - keep meaning to and keep forgetting.

woosta said:
Well, if you make it to Baltimore, most of the touristy stuff to do is at the Inner Harbor. You'll have a Legal Seafood and Cheesecake Factory among others there to eat. Hit the ESPNzone for overpriced video games, maybe do the bar thing (there's a little town/place right around there but I forget the name). Camden Yards is there too.

You're probably thinking of Fell's Point. Can be cool to hang out in - just follow the signs from the Harbor, or ask a cop. Metal shops? Well, none that I know of, but I'm hardly a B-more regular.

woosta said:
If you're in DC, well, I like a restaurant called SweetWater Tavern. Check out that chain at www.greatamericanrestaurants.com ! I've eaten at that one, Coastal Flats at the Tyson's Corner Mall (which is a really good mall if you're into that), and Artie's and all 3 have been solid.

Artie's and Sweetwater are both good. There's high-quality dining all over the place in D.C. and Arlington, but prepare to pay for it. (Especially in D.C., with a 17% restaurant tax.)

woosta said:
THus far, I've found little to no metal in either city. Maybe I'm missing it.

Unless you go to Jaxx, it's not there. ;)

Annapolis has a lot of interesting places - and the Record and Tape Traders there (on General's Highway, out towards Crownsville) occasionally has some odd stuff.

Oh, and for excellent - and cheap - Chinese, Court of Shanghai on the same road (just down the street, actually) is really good.

enki3600 said:
Thanks Rick,
I'll have to be checking some of it out. I realize that my timing sucks for extra-cirriculars and all, but this is a "business" trip after all! It's an Antenna Design Theory course and it's only taught twice a year, and I opted for this one instead of the one held in Phoenix in July!! (I can handle winters of -40 and below, but I don't think I could handle arizona in july!) ... I was just hoping I'd possibly hit something for shows, but considering the much higher population density than the midwest, I was hoping there'd be SOME kind of stores here worth visiting!

I do like to try different restaurants though, so there's a bonus for me! I never was much of a seafood type, but I figured at least one day I'd hit up a REAL seafood joint (figuring the coast cities would probably be where the best is... compared to landlocked ND or IA).

OH YEAH!! what about microbreweries? There's GOT to be some of those around here!

You're welcome!

Yeah, I hear ya about business trip, but that's what the after-hours are for ;-) Hahahah... I think the only thing you would've hated worse is Baltimore in July!! The high heat and humidity is very difficult to take for people not used to it. I take that any day over -40 winters though! Sorry, I forgot all about the stores part! Well, BlackenedDawn covered that with my exact thouhts! I know the Catonsville store pretty well since I grew up in Catonsville (part of Baltimore) and it does rock! As for the show, I hope you can make it BlackenedDawn! Its going to be fun celebrating our bassist's birthday (which is that day), our drummers's birthday (tomorrow), and my brother's birthday (next Tuesday) who helps us out quite a bit when he's available!

Definitely plenty of restaurants to try - that's for sure! And all sorts of varieties available if seafood doesn't grab you! And Baltimore is not just any coastal city, it IS the best place to get seafood -- and i have tested that theory out. :lol:

Damn, knew I was forgetting about something else too! Dude, right there in Annapolis is the Ram's Head Tavern. It is a restaurant, microbrewery, and cool place to catch a show (saw Alan Holdsworth there a few years back)! There are others but I can't recall them off the top of my head right now.

Oh yeah, don't worry about the weather report. The forcast is likely incorrect and thunderstorms don't mean bad all day. Today sucks, but it is looking to get better in the next few days!

Enjoy your antenna design theory course and enjoy your stay here!

Again, I appreciate all the help on this :)
Since my company is paying my meal ticket, I'm going to take advantage of all the good restaurants here that I can. :heh:

MFTE Cam said:
Enki: I don't know if you're a history buff, but there are lots and lots of Maryland historical sites to see in Annapolis. There use to be a microbrewery downtown near the harbor, but I don't know if it's still there. Hang around the harbor area and I guarantee you'll find something to get into.

Actually I am a major history buff... ancient history anyway. Other than just general curiosity, I haven't been much too interested in American history. (as sad as that may be to admit, I just am interested in so many things, but find that to be a bit less productive because I perceive so much inaccuracy or corruption). There's obviously SOOOOOOO much to do here, and I have relatively little time (only 1 day all to myself). And being here by myself isn't a motivation booster either.

jaimek said:
If you like Italian food, Little Italy is crawling with hole-in-the-wall family-owned restaurants with food to die for.

My grandmother is Italian. And I don't mean she's got Italian blood, I mean she came here when she was something like 8 or 9... so you better believe I loooooooove Italian food! I have yet to find any restaurant that comes close... but I have also only been limited to standard chains like olive garden and other boring, wannabe dining experiences.

Can't wait to try some of these places out!!!

Enki, I grew up in a heavily Italian part of upstate NY, and this is the first place I've been that lives up to my standard of Italian food. I regret that the deli closed down, though... they did subs RIGHT.

jaimek said:
Enki, I grew up in a heavily Italian part of upstate NY, and this is the first place I've been that lives up to my standard of Italian food. I regret that the deli closed down, though... they did subs RIGHT.

I'd agree, there are some quality NY/Italian places in Little Italy in Baltimore. I also grew up in the same Upstate area... ;)

jaimek said:
I live a couple miles down the street from that location. Haven't been there in ages - keep meaning to and keep forgetting.

You should come on in and visit us one of these days! There is usually at least one of us longhairs working (There are 3 of us total, haha). I'm CT (or Charles, either or); I'm usually wearing a rediculous orange work vest and a beautiful metal band shirt, haha! Tis one of my favorite things is meeting and talking music (metal being a plus) with people. And ESPECIALLY someone who is part of the Progpower family (all 3 of us take the yearly pilgrimage as well.) Take care, and maybe see you someday! Cheers :).

BlackenedDawn said:
There is usually at least one of us longhairs working (There are 3 of us total, haha). I'm CT (or Charles, either or); I'm usually wearing a rediculous orange work vest and a beautiful metal band shirt, haha! T

When do you work? I can stop by around one of those times if all works out!