New Symphony X album Underworld in July!!!!

I thought Iconoclast was the best thing they have released, and was hoping for more along those lines.

I thought Iconoclast was their best, and I like Underworld more at current. Time will see which of the two takes the top, but Underworld has more variety to keep me in.

I thought Iconoclast was the best thing they have released, and was hoping for more along those lines.

Personally, I've been wanting more of the melodic stuff mixed back in. Iconoclast was heading in the right direction, but it wasn't there yet for me.

Underworld seems to be what I'm looking for, but I'll have to get it first to find out.

After a couple listens its good...but i guess i just have to realize they won't realize an album like V again. That's ok i guess, they changed. So far 'Nevermore' and 'Legend' are my favorites. Russ sounds better on this than Iconoclast.

So the more I listen to this the more complex it gets. I like the first listen of an album to be with headphones to get an over all feel for an album as a whole. Then I specifically follow each instrument on re-listens. First is usually vocals, then guitar, then drums, then base, then keyboards. Following each of those threads is an amazing experience. And I didn't even notice until I read this from Romero:

"There is something else I can fill you in on that’s pretty slick”, offers Michael, somewhat conspiratorially. “When the whole Dante thing came about and we were doing some research and looking at the Inferno, you see this number three cropping up all the time. I guess he wrote the verses in sets of three and there's 33 cantos per part, and there's all this play on three, six, nine, 33. So we injected some of that, and you probably wouldn’t realize it unless you were looking for it. For example, the first song, ‘Nevermore’, it’s three syllables and the melody is a three-note phrase. There's three references to three of our old songs from our third record. There's shit like that all over the place. Some more than others - there are some songs on the record that are left the way they were. But sometimes there's a three-note riff or there's a six-note riff, or there's a multiple of three words in a chorus. There's intentional things here and there. You gotta have fun, dude, and enjoy what you’re doing (laughs) - make it interesting for yourself too."

My first exposure to Symphony X was back around '96/'97, when I bought the Japanese release of The Divine Wings Of Tragedy. Most of the time, the first purchase from a beloved band becomes the sentimental favorite, but for me Paradise Lost is the best Symphony X release. I think Underworld is Paradise Lost: Part II. I love it. Bravo to the band for another amazing release....they really have put themselves at the top o the heap when it comes to melodic, power/prog metal music.

So finally got around to listening to it and I really don't like it all. Final nail in the coffin for me. I'm just not into this band anymore and I think I've just moved on from this particular style of prog metal, doesn't do it for me anymore.

I've listened to it a dozen times or so .. it's the same high quality stuff I've come to expect from Symphony X. It's another in a long line of fantastic releases from the band. It's a 9/10 release in my opinion. It's odd how some people just can't seem to connect with Symphony X releases any longer. Nothing they are doing is all that different from other discs in their catalog .. this one is even more melodic than the last two which should make many of the old school fans quite happy. People are nitpicking Russ as well, and he sounds great. Some jokers have said they think he's going thru the motions .. sorry, I just don't hear it .. he's singing his ass off like usual. Romeo turns in a fantastic performance as well. Just my 2 cents.

Britt

I listened to the title track from The Odyssey last night and it really drove home how long he has been doing the angry Russ thing. I don't mind it. He does both styles well.

So finally got around to listening to it and I really don't like it all. Final nail in the coffin for me. I'm just not into this band anymore and I think I've just moved on from this particular style of prog metal, doesn't do it for me anymore.

That's always a sad moment. I had one with Iced Earth an album or two ago.

I've listened to it a dozen times or so .. it's the same high quality stuff I've come to expect from Symphony X. It's another in a long line of fantastic releases from the band. It's a 9/10 release in my opinion. It's odd how some people just can't seem to connect with Symphony X releases any longer. Nothing they are doing is all that different from other discs in their catalog .. this one is even more melodic than the last two which should make many of the old school fans quite happy. People are nitpicking Russ as well, and he sounds great. Some jokers have said they think he's going thru the motions .. sorry, I just don't hear it .. he's singing his ass off like usual. Romeo turns in a fantastic performance as well. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed 100%. I went into this expecting something other-worldly based on some of the comments, and from THAT standpoint I was slightly disappointed. It's a great album, but as you said.... It's a great album in a long line of great albums. First impression is that I prefer Iconoclast, but could easily see this sitting behind that and DWoT / V as my favorites of the catalogue. It's everything I expect from SX, but nothing more. Performances are phenominal, sound is AMAZING at high volumes...... Very happy with this release.

SYMPHONY X RELEASE “KISS OF FIRE” LYRIC VIDEO; UNDERWORLD ALBUM CHART POSITIONS REVEALED

Switzerland: #10
Finland: #12
Netherlands: #20
Germany: #23
Sweden: #31 (Hard Rock #2)
US : #36 (current chart, Top Hard Rock #6, Billboard 200, #89)
France: #39
Japan: #46 (International #7)
Austria: #59
Belgium: #71
UK: #80 (Rock #7)
Canada: #103 (Hard Charts #14)

“The band are excited to see that people are enjoying the record and can’t wait to get on the road this fall”, commented bandleader Michael Romeo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pretty much liked it right off the bat. Iconoclast didn't do well after a year or two to sit with me, so this was a really great sign for me, something about Iconoclast just seemed slightly off. Underworld's not AOTY, but it's definitely top ten unless some real dark horses come in the next few months.