New Symphony X album Underworld in July!!!!

SYMPHONY X REVEAL DETAILS FOR ONLY US / CANADIAN SHOWS OF 2016

symphonyxtourmay.jpg

September
29 - The Trocadero - Philadelphia, PA

October
1 - Worcester Palladium - Worcester, MA
2 - Foufounes Electriques - Montreal, QC
3 - Virgin Mobile Mod Club - Toronto, ON
4 - Salle Multi de Méduse - Quebec City, QC
5 - The Gramercy Theatre - New York, NY

Probably had to do with the fact that they're both from the NY area, know each other, and had been talking of touring together for a long time. Just guessing, but its plausible. I would have loved to see them together.

A shame there was never a proper headlining tour in the U.S. for this album. Just the co-headlining tour with Overkill, which was an odd pairing.

That was the proper headlining tour... "co-headlining" means both acts play full sets. Also, it's a pretty typical strategy for a co-headline bill. Two acts that have similar levels of popularity and are in the same overall genre, but not the same subgenre. That way there's some crossover fan base, but also, Overkill gets to play in front of some prog fans who don't know much about thrash, and Symphony X gets to play in front of some thrash fans who don't know much about prog. Both bands get a chance to expand their audience a little, and also potentially play in front of larger crowds than they would alone.

Reactions: H.P. Lovecraft
I get there are some upsides to a co-headlining tour. But there are also downsides. While they play a long set, it is not as long as if they were the full headliner. Plus as was the case with myself and many people I talked to, they are less inclined to travel 3 hours to have to sit through an 80 minute set of a band they don't really enjoy. So while you get some crossover fans, you also lose some fans.

Also, it's a pretty typical strategy for a co-headline bill. Two acts that have similar levels of popularity and are in the same overall genre, but not the same subgenre. That way there's some crossover fan base, but also, Overkill gets to play in front of some prog fans who don't know much about thrash, and Symphony X gets to play in front of some thrash fans who don't know much about prog.

True. However, it was still a rather off beat pairing imo. I was at the Silver Spring MD show. And most of the SX fans were pretty annoyed with the moshers. I was standing right at the edge of the pit, and a few guys almost came to blows. I don't care if people mosh. But honestly, those guys are their own worst enemies. When they start lashing out and kicking/punching people who don't want to be involved, it moves beyond "let the boys have their fun" to stupidity. Most of the SX fans simply left after their part of the show was over. Which of course shot down the whole "Overkill gets to play in front of some prog fans who don't know much about thrash" in flames.

Reactions: Mardoch and Kez
RUSSELL ALLEN: 'There's No Future Plans For SYMPHONY X At This Time'

Asked by Metal Wani in a new interview if SYMPHONY X will regroup next year to begin work on new material or play some more gigs, Russell said (hear audio below): "No plans at this time, no. I don't see anything in the foreseeable future with that, because we… I know [guitarist and main songwriter Michael] Romeo is talking about doing a solo record he's been working on and some other stuff, and the other guys are doing the same. There's been no talk of a new album, there's been no talk of any touring, and so…

"To be honest with you, I'm a hundred percent committed to [ADRENALINE MOB] and that's what I'm about right now," he admitted. "So if you wanna come see me sing in the next few years or forever, however long this thing goes on for, then you're gonna see me in the MOB. There's no future plans for SYMPHONY X at this time."

Because, the world really needs more cancerous Adrenaline Mob bullshit, and not power metal brilliance. I'd be interested to see what a Michael Romeo solo record beings though, I'll be honest.

My indifference towards Adrenaline Mob aside, at least it's an outlet to keep Russell's more aggressive style and lyrics away from Symphony X (no more "hit the switch you son of a bitch" please!). I just hope we don't find out 15 years later that he has left the band and is now a full time Mobster.

To be honest, SyX's output has been pretty sporatic lately, with 4-5 years between albums. I should expect we shouldn't expect another album for another couple of years at least.

I prefer Symphony X no question there but I will take any Russ I can get. Man can do no wrong in my book

Brand