NIGHTWISH returns to the states in the fall.

They've played one off gigs but they never did a full on US tour before with Tarja. There's a huge difference between your one show (or even 3 dates) and a 2 month tour...

The original tour was supposed to encompass both the US and Canada in August and September 2004. However, due to the problems with their passports, and the US took their sweet time with the work permits, they were forced to cancel the Canadian leg and the show at Philadelphia's Trocadero Theater. Here was the tour list:

08/20/04 Mass Palladium, Worcester Mass
08/22/04 BB Kings, NYC
08/23/04 Phantasy's, Cleveland
08/25/04 HoB, Chicago
08/26/04 Quest, Minneapolis
08/28/o4 Cervante's, Denver
08/30/04 Cajun House, Scottsdale AZ
08/31/04 HoB, Anaheim
09/02/04 HoB, LA
09/03/04 Slim's, San Fran
09/05/04 Graceland, Seattle

Though you are correct that they did not do a two-month tour, they did an abbreviated two week tour because of the problems I explained abouve. Also, they did a two-show deal in 2003. ProgPower and then again in Brokklyn NY at the legendary L'Amour (now Club Evolution).

Peace,
Ray C.

Another one? Sheesh.

I don't know if I'll be going to the third one. I'm going to the show in Chicago this May, and I was at the Chicago show this past fall, but this is edging towards overkill.

I remember having my ticket for that ill-fated tour seven months in advance.
Me too, along with tix for 8 other ppl to several shows. :Smug: I ate an awful lot of TicketBastard fees on that one.

Originally Posted by ...AndTimeBegan
They've played one off gigs but they never did a full on US tour before with Tarja. There's a huge difference between your one show (or even 3 dates) and a 2 month tour...
Just to chime in with the others, I saw them on their US tour in NYC, Worcester Mass and Toronto. They definitely toured. Photos can be found here. Looking back through those, it sure brings back fond memories. Here's a fav. from Toronto.
nw04tor5duo1x.jpg

I'm looking forward to the one coming up. Can't believe that already announced the third. Knew it was coming, but didn't know they were going to have SA with them, even if Empress told us so. :)

Curufin and I went and saw them In Phoenix, LA, Anahiem, and San Fransisco during the US tour of Once. Then, I saw them again for a one off show in Toronto for a makeup date, where they played "Ghost Love Score." This was back in August of 2004, and then the Toronto show was in December.

They did indeed do a full fledge american tour.

I never said they didn't play the US before, but they never did a FULL TOUR (more than 10-12 dates) untill now.

B-i-g d-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-c-e. Feel free to "chime in" but you'll still look silly.

Besides the fact that they never did a full US tour (only a couple of dates in the US and Canada- some of which got canceled) prior to recently, the fact that this is their first time in the States in 4 years is more than enough reason for them to do 3-4 consecutive US tours. Typically foreign bands do 2 US tours per cycle so 3-4 for a big name band that has not run through here in 4 years is pretty much necessary. They have to start from scratch.

I never said they didn't play the US before, but they never did a FULL TOUR (more than 10-12 dates) untill now.

B-i-g d-i-f-f-e-r-e-n-c-e. Feel free to "chime in" but you'll still look silly.

So just because YOUR definition of a full tour differs from another persons view of a full tour? We're not talking Metallica or Def Leppard/ Bon Jovi tours that hit every part of every state. Nightwish toured and hit the major markets in the USA. A full tour is just that. I want you to tell me where it says that more than a 10-12 date tour merits a FULL TOUR. If you do, my hats off and my apologies to you.

So just because YOUR definition of a full tour differs from another persons view of a full tour? We're not talking Metallica or Def Leppard/ Bon Jovi tours that hit every part of every state. Nightwish toured and hit the major markets in the USA. A full tour is just that. I want you to tell me where it says that more than a 10-12 date tour merits a FULL TOUR. If you do, my hats off and my apologies to you.

Dude lol, Nightwish is a pretty huge band. In Europe they are pretty much as big as Def Leppard/Bon Jovi so for a band like that 10 dates in the US isn't a blip on the radar.

It is for the style. we're not living in the 80s, and we're certainly not living in Europe. What other bands in metal would you have considered a "full" tour? I mean, you know, aside from Priest and Maiden? Stadium Sellouts? Maybe it's semantecs, but here's what you said, earlier in the thread:

Nah, they NEVER toured the US EVER. Every tour they booked prior to the one last fall got cancelled because of Tarja. I don't like Nightwish but they're doing the right thing.

As you said, if there's a big difference between 'touring' and 'full touring', you should have specified. Also, that tour was 15 dates w/ one makeup show. Does that qualify for your

...AndTimeBegan said:
a FULL TOUR (more than 10-12 dates)

?

Hope they play Jaxx in the DC metro area!

I saw SA at Jaxx two days before they played PP USA last year. Great to see them (as well as Firewind) twice on the same tour!

Though I like Nightwish, I sort of wish it was Tarot instead. But I'll take what I can get! :headbang: :kickass:

Dude lol, Nightwish is a pretty huge band. In Europe they are pretty much as big as Def Leppard/Bon Jovi so for a band like that 10 dates in the US isn't a blip on the radar.

Thats not what I meant. I meant that bands like say Bon Jovi or Def Leppard tour like 150 dates a year usually. If their sales are really huge over 200 like in their heyday. Nightwish just doesn't do the sales here in the USA, its just a fact. Sure Nightwishs tours are blips on the radar in comparison. But remember we are the country that has corporations controlling our media whereas Europe does not hence the popularity of metal and other genres.

I'll be attending a show on this tour most likely. I was going to attend both Hartford & Poughkeepsie shows but I think I'm going to skip Hartford because I'm 1) poor & 2) limited on my vacation days as I'd like to take a 2 week honeymoon.

I never said they didn't play the US before

Dude, sometimes you just need to be able to say "whoops, sorry, I was wrong!" It doesn't hurt THAT bad. Really! (and it almost certainly hurts *less* than the contortions you're twisting yourself into here!)

The crazy thing about these Nightwish tours is how now for both the 2nd and 3rd legs, the news came out before they had even done their 1st and 2nd legs, respectively. Their 2nd-leg Chicago date is still two whole months away; in the old days (5 years ago), you'd be lucky if they'd even announced that 2nd-leg date already (if they were playing the Milwaukee Metalfest, we'd be lucky find out two *weeks* in advance!) But now, we're already hearing about the 3rd leg! I guess they figure the far-in-advance planning has advantages that outweigh any cannibalization of their own sales ("eh, I just heard Nightwish is coming in the fall anyway, so I can skip them this time")

Neil

I wouldn't doubt that we may see them hanging out at PPIX, as they play in Charlote NC on Sept 24. Just a thought.