"Oddball" band for PPX: IHSAHN

Purveyor Of Evil

Heavy Metal, INC.
Mar 17, 2003
Hughestown, PA.
Visit site
Absolutely excellent choice! This guy's music is beyond perfection! The Adversary was amazing and Angl is possibly a hair better. Mikael Akerfeldt guesting on it sure doesn't hurt, either. But really, this guest spot is only the most minor reason to buy the new album. And, IHSAHN uses black metal vocals that are very discipherable and excellent clean vocals. Just great stuff. PERIOD.

Not a chance. The man is a god, but I doubt we'll ever see him play ProgPower.

Why's that? He's said that he hates playing live and he doesn't even have a live band.

:(

I believe I read recently that he was assembling a live band.
From an interview on Blabbermouth.net:

Q: You had one less instrument to play this time around and three people directly involved. Is there any chance of seeing IHSAHN perform live?

Ihsahn: I've had quite a few requests, even after the first album, and I said then to give me at least one more album. Yes, I've been doing this for half my life, I'm 32 now, but I don't want to go around playing three songs off my album and then do EMPEROR covers for the rest. I'm not there yet. Even when writing "The Adversary" and this album I've had that way of orchestrating it or arranging it so that it could be performed with a typical five piece lineup. At some point I guess I have to [laughs]. But still it's kind of a huge project. Who knows if Asgeir can do it because he's a very busy man on so many levels? And I don't know the time schedule for Lars. So I might have to bring in totally different people. Taking things from just a studio project where you never actually played together and trying to get a full lineup together and make it work is quite a big project. I just have to add that to the other work I have to do. Some of this material I think would work quite well live, but this is all new and it's more nerve-wracking. Doing this material that has never been done live before and has no sentimental value [laughs] it's kind of putting yourself out there in a whole different light, I guess.

There's always hope. I'm sure for select dates like Progpower, IHSAHN could conjure something.

I think that if it went the black metal route that Bal Sagoth would be a more natural fit. But still not sure how it would go over. Virgin Black would be another choice that gets support from a number of people here.

I always thought their vocals sucked big donkey nuts so I havent listened to Emperor in probably like 2 years so I dont know if he sings that same way, but I doubt it tbh