Off Topic - Ozzfest's Maiden Fiasco

You know, I really hope that Sharon is telling the truth, because she is claiming that the eggs were tossed by Ozzy's "devoted fans." Frankly, if she is behind the incident, it will plumb new depths - not only because the act itself was deplorable, but to turn around and claim that your husband's fans were the guilty party...sheesh.

Allright. I'll analize $haron's letter.

"Your press release was written like an old-time '80s manager, trying to use every opportunity to try and sell the record and the upcoming shows instead of just dealing with the truth."

What album do they have out right now? Ozzy hasn't bothered to record an album of any worth in almost five years! He has said for a long time that he still wants to record "his Sgt. Pepper Album". Yeah... and when will THAT happen? It won't until he lets go of his crappy songwriters and lets Zakk write the album the way it was meant to be written... guitarist and singer sitting down with paper and pen! But that'll never happen. $haron's burned her bridges with Zakk long ago when they forced him to record Down To Earth and play it the way they wanted him to, instead of the way it should have been played: with attitude and balls!

"Not only is Ozzy the headliner, but he is also the man who is paying your band $185,000 a night."

No, $haron, YOU are the one signing their paychecks. Ozzy is about as disconnected from the legalities and paperwork of Ozzfest as you are from the American metal fans.

"We gave IRON MAIDEN a chance to play to the biggest audiences they have ever played to in the U.S.A."

I thoroughly disbelieve that statement. I was there for their Brave New World and Dance of Death tours, and both those shows here had filled audiences in the exact same venue they just came through with Ozzfest. And I guarantee you, Ozzy and Black Sabbath wouldn't pull that large of an audience these days if it was just them coming through unattached to Ozzfest. Hell... last time Ozzy alone came through town, it was at the Cobo Arena, and he still didn't sell out that venue!

"...we even scoured the audience for people wearing IRON MAIDEN t-shirts and brought them down front during their set to make them feel more comfortable."

Sure as hell didn't do THAT during the Detroit show! Probably not until long after Bruce complained! And that gripe wasn't with you, it was with the music venues of America and its policy of having season ticket holders for uptight stuckup rich bastards who only go to shows as an excuse to drink.

"Unfortunately those gestures were completely lost on Bruce Dickinson who for over 20 shows continually berated Ozzy and Ozzfest during his set."

Bullshit and exaggeration. Get a calculator, bitch. Ozzfest hasn't been around for 20 years, and Iron Maiden hasn't been slagging you until this year when he experienced first hand how crappy your festival has become. AND... he's right!

"Night after night we heard his complaints from the stage about how 'corporate' the venues were and how 'outrageous' the ticket prices were."

EXACTLY.

"Strangely enough, if you want to get a general admission ticket to stand in a field to see IRON MAIDEN at Reading this weekend it's going to cost you over $120. I would say that's very pricey, wouldn't you?"

I'd pay that price to avoid having to sit through a Wicked Wisdom set! Come on, $haron. You had quite a low standard set this year for your band selections.

Her last paragraph is the only one where she has valid points. Yes, Bruce loves to fire off and say whatever the fuck he wants to. And that's why we love him. But you claim that Bruce never came to you. Well you never went to him, either! It takes two to tango, bitch. You just put it off and ignored it as well. So you're throwing eggs instead of acting like an adult. You're no better than Bruce, so you haven't earned any of my respect back. The difference is, I know for a fact that Bruce and Maiden aren't suck-up sellouts!

Even in the beginning of the tour, at the Hartford show (I was there) Maiden had their whole first song without PA... Now that I think it probably wasn't just a sound problem.

Whatever Bruce did may be consiered wrong, but it doesn't JUSTDEFY (Bryan, that's for ya lol) (justify) what she did. Very unprofessional, it's really sad.

Sharon, you just showcased that you've gone beyond the limits of ridiculous.

Pellaz said:
Moreover, the evidence doesn't support Sharon's assertion that they only cut Maiden's sound because they said they were going to go over their time-limit. Numerous reports have confirmed that the power was cut at several different points during Maiden's set, well in advance of any 'going over' time...but really, the only time you'd cut a band's power would be when they actually exceed their limit.

Sorry, Sharon. It doesn't fly.

I have the show. They cut the power during "The Phantom Of The Opera" and during "Hallowed Be Thy Name," and on that one, the audience finishes singing it. Neither of those are anywhere near close to the 55 minutes mark.

Bryan316 said:
Allright. I'll analize $haron's letter.

"Unfortunately those gestures were completely lost on Bruce Dickinson who for over 20 shows continually berated Ozzy and Ozzfest during his set."

Bullshit and exaggeration. Get a calculator, bitch. Ozzfest hasn't been around for 20 years, and Iron Maiden hasn't been slagging you until this year when he experienced first hand how crappy your festival has become. AND... he's right!

She said 20 shows, not 20 years..and youre not proving anything by being equally profane and unprofessional as she was/is, Bryan ... :wave:

Something else...Sharon indicates that Bruce was a problem from the beginning, and yet stuck it out for 20 shows. If it was that much of a problem, why wasn't he approached, and if things couldn't be reconciled, why wasn't the band dropped sooner? Say what you will about Sharon, but when it comes to business, she is no idiot. Certainly she has a clause in the contract to drop any bands that are causing trouble. If Bruce was slagging the tour from the start, that would have been significant reason to approach him, and if it continued, removing Maiden from the festival wouldn't have been out of line.

Unfortunately, according to Zakk Wilde, Bruce was badmouthing the US troops and the US in general during Ozzfest. It's now clear to me that when Bruce said, "This is a fucking British flag and these colors don't fucking run", that he was referring to the United States and not the egg throwers.

http://www.bravewords.com/news.html?id=31922

Bruce has degraded the this country before. That's fine, he's entitled to his opinion, but don't turn around and then tour the USA. Talk about being a hypocrite. I guess $185,000 a night for Maiden will make him betray his feelings.

Bruce's not going to get any more of my money for playing in a country he hates. No more Maiden tours for me.

DarkTide said:
This kind of shit sucks, but I don't feel real bad for Bruce Dickinson. He's been slagging the USA and the American metal fans all year long. He's already threatened to never tour here again prior to this incident. This dude has profitted millions from this country, and still he doesn't have a good thing to say about it, or it's music fans. I think he's a big fucking hypocrite. He's making big dough working Ozzfest I'd think, and apperently he's been bashing it too. The guy is a prick, but that dumb shit Sharon should have been professional enough to let them finish up the tour and then be done with them.

Britt

Very well said.

TBJ said:
That just goes to show how "educated" and "classy" she is, she is just using this whole flag thing to validate her actions.

sarcasm off..

Although I hate the last several cd's from Ozzy, I"m shocked that so many people on here think that Ozzy has always sucked. Diary of a Madman and Blizzard are absolute classics that came along at a time where metal was pretty sucky!!!! It was a breath of fresh air. There are some great tunes on those 2 cds!!

I've never been a Sabbath fan though, except the Dio era Sabbath.

SavaVIDude said:
:ill: IMHO, if it weren't for Sharon, we would have lost Ozzy a long time ago. And I revere Ozzy as the one single most influential person in the short history of metal. I can't BELIEVE you fuckers are so vindictive towards someone you don't even know. I don't mind cussing, but you fuckers have uttered some of the most vile shit I have EVER heard directed toward a human being that wasn't a mass-murderer. Several of your words were far more inflamatory than anything any of the parties said.

I'm going to Ozzfest this weekend, and as long as they draw bands that I like, such as Velvet Revolver, Zakk Wylde, Rob Zombie, etc., I will continue to go.

Shame on all of you. It's fucking sickening. :ill: :puke:

Peace,
Chris :headbang:

I have never understood why Ozzy is influential. Is it his voice, he rarely wrote songs. Actually Dee SNider and some guys on that VH1 classic said Ozzy has never written any songs and only written lyrics on occasion, I don't know if there is any truth to that but it wouldn't suprise me. The only reasons he got big again was because of Randy Rhoads, Daisley, Kerslake, and Airey.

I will say this, I think one reason for Maiden accepting the Ozzfest gig was for this reason. Bruce has a well-known hatred for the American media, as do I, a hatred for all those piece of shit followers (even the 15 year old kids who wear his shirts and don't know one maiden song besides Run To The Hills). I think they took the gig so Bruce could do his rants to that audience (From what I see, a majority of the Ozzfest crowd are idiot teenagers who follow whatever trend they see going on, on mtv. If this was the case I am right beside Bruce on this issue, these pathetic ass motherfuckers need to think for themselves whether it means wearing Iron Maiden shirts or not. Nothing pisses me off more when I see a kid with a maiden shirt and he doesn't know who they are when he spent $25 for the shirt at Hot Topic.

The reason I think that is the case is because Maiden has no reasons to play Ozzfest. They can easily get headling US tours by themselves, and after thinking about it Maiden is probably the biggest metal name in the world right now, that is on average I think. Idk what Metallica's show sizes are like in Europe and South America, but I doubt they are as big as Maiden's.

The Fiddler said:
Unfortunately, according to Zakk Wilde, Bruce was badmouthing the US troops and the US in general during Ozzfest. It's now clear to me that when Bruce said, "This is a fucking British flag and these colors don't fucking run", that he was referring to the United States and not the egg throwers.

I completely disagree....Zakk Wylde is a nutjob. Are you really going to listen to his words to make an informed opinion? To think that Bruce was somehow slagging the US when he said "these colors don't run" doesn't even pass the logic test...in what context do you think he could have been referring to the US? And do you really, honestly believe that Bruce badmouthed US troops during Ozzfest?? You don't think that there would be an immediate firestorm over that if it really happened?? C'mon, Zakk is prone to redneck hyberbole, and he's firmly stuck in the Ozzy camp....don't take his words so literally.

dargormudshark said:
Nothing pisses me off more when I see a kid with a maiden shirt and he doesn't know who they are when he spent $25 for the shirt at Hot Topic.

No &!^#&$*@*!! lie. I am so sick and tired of seeing these kids who buy and wear a band shirt because "it looks cool" or, even worse, the be "ironic" and patronizing towards a band. Sheep.

okay, so it's all over, it's done, all sides have issued statements....but SHARON/OZZFEST HAVE NOT YET APOLOGIZED TO THE FANS FOR RUINING A SHOW THEY PAID TO SEE!

The one thing that still shocks me is no one got seriously hurt. How could anyone much less a promoter think about putting thousands of fans in jeopardy by doing something as stupid as assualting a band while they play? So, so lucky it didn't escalate into a rush/riot. I hope those who are asking for a refund get it.

dargormudshark said:
I have never understood why Ozzy is influential. Is it his voice, he rarely wrote songs. Actually Dee SNider and some guys on that VH1 classic said Ozzy has never written any songs and only written lyrics on occasion, I don't know if there is any truth to that but it wouldn't suprise me. The only reasons he got big again was because of Randy Rhoads, Daisley, Kerslake, and Airey.

It's because he knew how to make a spectacle of himself. His antics both off and onstage contributed to his legend, and made people wonder just how crazy he really was. Of course, now they try to back pedal on the bat biting incident ("He didn't know it was real!," etc.), but he did plenty of other nutjob things. At one record meeting, he brought in a dove and bit its head off! Add to that the near constant satanism rumours (and, at the very least, his name was frequently tied to "satanic panic" urban legends). People were fascinated by Ozzy because they didn't know what he was going to do next. Ozzy has a limited vocal range, but he has a knack for finding strong musicians and, along with Alice Cooper, he did a lot to mythologize hard rock/heavy metal.

Of course, these days we don't have anything comparable at least in the states. Back in the day, heavy metal used to have a strong strain of hero worship from fans to the musicians; today's fans usually find musicians approachable. Even the so-called "controversial" musicians usually turn out to be assholes rather than genuinely "sinister."

At this point, the worst insult I can give to Sharon Osbourne is that she is a poor businesswoman. She is a poor business woman as many people here have pointed out, because she ruined a show that people paid to see. It's not about her. It's not about Ozzy. It's not about Bruce. It's about the people who paid her ridiculous prices to see her ridiculous bands. Call Bruce a prick as much as you want when Ozzfest is over, but don't ruin the show for fans, no matter what happens.

And I don't care if I'm a hypocrite here, but I can't stand Zakk Wylde even more than I can't stand Ozzy Osbourne, and so I don't care what Bruce did, I will still side against OzzFest.

The Fiddler said:

http://www.bravewords.com/news.html?id=31922

Bruce has degraded the this country before. That's fine, he's entitled to his opinion, but don't turn around and then tour the USA. Talk about being a hypocrite. I guess $185,000 a night for Maiden will make him betray his feelings.

Bruce's not going to get any more of my money for playing in a country he hates. No more Maiden tours for me.
i applaud his actions. he's more of a patriot than the entire crowd. the american public needs a major wake up call, and he was giving it thick.

Silent Song said:
i applaud his actions. he's more of a patriot than the entire crowd. the american public needs a major wake up call, and he was giving it thick.

Well said... well said...

And again, regarding Zakk Wylde... It's time for him to quit drinking and get a reality check...