OFFICIAL PPUSA INTERVIEW: Pagan's Mind...Any Questions For the Band?

PurpleCrayonWriter

Just a Kid at Heart
Howdy Y'all,

It's that time of year again!

General Zod will be conducting the official ProgPower USA interview with Pagan's Mind in the next month or so.

He's hard at work on questions. But he'd love to know if there's anything you'd like to know. It's a good bet he'll be chatting with vocalist Nils K. Rue. But maybe not, depending on Nils' schedule.

So...

Dig deep in your bag of arcane questions. Let's play Stump The Band this year. We want to create the best PPUSA interviews ever printed to celebrate PPUSA X.

Offer your questions here. Zod will review them and add them to his already growing arsenal. There are no guarantees he'll ask every question posed. But he'd love to know if you know something he doesn't about Pagan's Mind.

Ask away!

Bill

P.S. As usual, we'll post 1/2 of each interview online (site in progress; URL to be posted soon) and the entire interview exclusively in the ProgPower USA printed program given to all who attend this year's fest.

This may sound like a silly question for Nils, but as a vocalist, I'm curious to know the answer. Anyone who has seen Pagan's Mind live may notice that he places his hand on his chest a lot as he sings. Is this a way for him to gauge his singing (perhaps it helps him place his resonation?), or is it just a habit?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

not exactly a super-awesome question for a ppx interview, but pagan's mind has been at 2 prog powers and steinar, jorn viggo, and stian were all here with jorn, too. What are some of their favorite, stand-out memories of prog powers past?

This may sound like a silly question for Nils, but as a vocalist, I'm curious to know the answer. Anyone who has seen Pagan's Mind live may notice that he places his hand on his chest a lot as he sings. Is this a way for him to gauge his singing (perhaps it helps him place his resonation?), or is it just a habit?
Definitely. I've always wondered if that's a technique or just a quirk.

What are some of their favorite, stand-out memories of prog powers past?
I plan on asking all of the returning bands this question or a similar question. Thanks.

Zod

If talking to Nils, I'm interested in if he is going to change up things in his singing and vocal melodies for Eidolon.

Though honestly, I'm mostly interested in what made him want to sound like a tortured cat. But that's not really a nice question to ask.

p.s. To keep the barbarians away from my gate, I think he's great in X-World/5.

Along the same lines of PP past (or as a follow-up): Do they have plans to release a live DVD of their performance that was taped at Earthlink?
Definitely. Thanks.

If talking to Nils, I'm interested in if he is going to change up things in his singing and vocal melodies for Eidolon.
Cool. Thanks.

Though honestly, I'm mostly interested in what made him want to sound like a tortured cat. But that's not really a nice question to ask.
Huh? Are you talking about live or on disc? No matter... you're insane no matter what your answer. :loco:

His last PP performance may be the best performance I've witnessed by a vocalist. Not only did he deliver a flawless PM set, but to come out and totally nail cover songs by Tate and King? Amazing.

Zod

Zod, Nils live really grated on me. At times he was fine, at other times it felt like he was just screaming into the mic. When he goes for those big high notes it really annoys me. But so it is. I was hearing most of the music for the first time, so I wasn't there just having a good time, but trying to figure out if I liked them or not.

Zod, Nils live really grated on me. At times he was fine, at other times it felt like he was just screaming into the mic. When he goes for those big high notes it really annoys me. But so it is. I was hearing most of the music for the first time, so I wasn't there just having a good time, but trying to figure out if I liked them or not.
Interesting. Did you end up buying any of their CDs? If so, I'll be curious to hear how you rate his performance this year, with a better familiarity with the music.

Zod

I haven't bought any of the CDs. But I do think they have some exceptional songs, such as Through Osiris's Eyes. The weird thing was that I wasn't hating what I was hearing. But I saw the floor so into it, so excited and waving their firsts. And I didn't get it. The playing was all spot on, Nils doesn't work for me, but I like the guitar work. Yet at the end of the set I kind of had a 'meh' reaction. I'm tempted to go see them this year just to find out if I wasn't in the right mood that hour. If I were to buy one album, which would you recommend?

Actually that would be an interesting question to ask in interviews. Find out what the interviewee would recommend to people as the first album to buy. Though that might just get them to say 'oh that's too hard, its like choosing your children.'

This question would be for all bands/members.........Do they have other jobs when they are not touring/recording or are they fortunate enough that their band activities can support their families. And if they do have other jobs what are they? I know Nils is a graphic artist or something like that.

This question would be for all bands/members.........Do they have other jobs when they are not touring/recording or are they fortunate enough that their band activities can support their families. And if they do have other jobs what are they? I know Nils is a graphic artist or something like that.
There's sort of a stock question I ask all musicians, regarding the whole real life / part-time rock star thing. Thanks.

Zod