OK, it time to give us your 2003 yearlist!

Hawk

Henri Serton
Staff member
Aug 31, 2001
Eindhoven; Rockcity!
01 Sun Caged - Sun Caged
02 John Arch - A Twist of Fate
03 AtmOsfear - Inside the Atmosphere
04 Adagio - Underworld
05 A.C.T - The Last Epic
06 Ballistic - Ballistic
07 Kamelot - Epica
08 Masterplan - Masterplan
09 Children of Bodom - Hate Crew Deathroll
10 Jag Panzer - Decade of the Nail Spiked Bat

I guess this topic is posted on just about every forum, but oh well here goes.....

In no particular order after top two:

1. Adagio-Underworld (I still listen to this in awe)
2. Evergrey- Recreation Day
3. Sun Caged-s/t (haven't got it yet, but oh yes...it's on the way!)
4. Zero Hour- Metamorphosis/debut rerelease
5. Children of Bodom-Hate Crew Deathroll
6. Secret Sphere-Scent of Human Desire (I dunno....I like it!)
7. Dream Theater-Train of Thought
8. Sonata Arctica- Winterheart's Guild

Well...how about top 8? That is all I bought that this year that came out this year. So that makes them my top 8 of 2003 since they were what I bought!

1 Sun Caged - Sun Caged
2 Bumblefoot - Forgotten Anthology
3 Rob van der Loo - Six Arms
4 Artension - New Discovery
5 Epica - The Phantom Agony
6 AinA - Days of Rising Doom
7 Marcel Coenen - Guitar Talk (rerelease)
8 Helloween - Rabbit don't come Easy

I didn't buy much new records this year :eek:

As much as I love Sun Caged, I'm sorry to say that my vote for best 2003 prog-album is not to them (though it was until not more than a few weeks ago). Nonetheless, it is still the best debut album ever.

1. Wolverine - "Cold light of Monday"
2. Sun Caged - "Sun Caged"
3. Enchant - "Tug of War"

Also remarkable though not counting, since they are not new material, are the great live DVD/CD's from Ayreon and Transatlantic. And, to say it this way, dissapointment of the year: Dream Theater's "Train of thought".

sclemur said:
As much as I love Sun Caged, I'm sorry to say that my vote for best 2003 prog-album is not to them (though it was until not more than a few weeks ago). Nonetheless, it is still the best debut album ever.

1. Wolverine - "Cold light of Monday"
2. Sun Caged - "Sun Caged"
3. Enchant - "Tug of War"

Also remarkable though not counting, since they are not new material, are the great live DVD/CD's from Ayreon and Transatlantic. And, to say it this way, dissapointment of the year: Dream Theater's "Train of thought".
Sorry to go off topic but what does Enchant sound like? I have heard the name quite a bit buy don't know anything about them, are they prog or what?

Enchant are guitar-oriented prog-rock. Though prog really doesn't do them justice... their music is very accessible and has influences from pop, metal and other genres. Very emotional stuff. They are one of my favorite bands, though I hate the new album. Check them out at http://www.theoasis.cc

Difficult to come up with a list but:

1) John Arch - Twist of Fate
2) OSI - OSI
3) Neal Morse - Testimony
4) Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance
5) Derek Sherinian - Black Utopia
6) ACT - Last Epic
7) Dream Theater - ToT
8) Sun Caged - Sun Caged
9) Frameshift - Unweaving the Rainbow
10) Iron Maiden - Dance of Death

Wow, Borkdude, the new Maiden's album rated as the 10 in your list of preferences for this past year, really impressive. It's been quite in much a disappointment even for the all-time Maiden fans, and I couldn't say anything better myself. Very curious. :)

@sclemur: Hi, there, you're living very close to me. You're the first catalan I see around. Cheers!

|ng.

I'm not a die-hard maiden fan, but I enjoyed listening the album much during the last few months. I enjoyed it that much it ended up on #10. :)

There are some very cool tunes on DoD and imho it's a nice "comeback" after a lot of not-so-good ones.

Oops, forgot about OSI and Arch.

1 Sun Caged - Sun Caged
2 OSI - OSI
3 John Arch - A Twist of Fate
4 Bumblefoot - Forgotten Anthology
5 Rob van der Loo - Six Arms
6 Artension - New Discovery
7 Epica - The Phantom Agony
8 AinA - Days of Rising Doom
9 Marcel Coenen - Guitar Talk (rerelease)
10 Helloween - Rabbit don't come Easy

well, mine top10 would look something like this..
1. kamelot - epica
2. sun caged - s/t
3. power of omens - rooms of anguish (it should be in '02 when i heard it, but officialy came out in '03)
4. alkemyst - meeting in the mist
5. dream theater - train of thought
6. act - last epic (not completly metal, but hey, it rules :))
7. evergrey - recreation day
8. sonata arctica - winterhearts guilde
9. zero hour - metamorphosis
10. altaria - invitation (or pagans mind if that did came out in '03, i think it was '02 but i'm not so sure.. and when did andromeda - 2is1 came out? '02 or?)