oooh DragonCon has metal!

Cheiron

Jan 11, 2006
Some bands announced recently: Bella Morte (okay goth metalish), and Stolen Babies! Stolen Babies is a totally insane band. So Atlanta folk ... if nothing else try to go to the Stolen Babies show!

and The Last Dance is going to be there too (and of course Cruxshadows).

Well for people who like that Diablo Orchestra or whatever band... or Sleepytime Guerilla Museum or UneXpect they'll probably really enjoy Stolen Babies. Never listened to Twisted Tower Dire. Definitely want to hear Vainglory.

You beat me to the punch...I didn't know how relevant this would be to the board, so I held off posting it myself, but yeah - Dragon*Con's musical line-up this year is overall the best I have ever witnessed for the convention.

From the moment I heard Stolen Babies last December, they were my "dream band" for Dragon*Con. Never in a million years that I had set a ball rolling that would result in them actually playing the D*Con stage...my favorite new band of the past five years, on stage at a convention that I am involved with. To say I am ecstatic would be the understatement of the year.

Bella Morte does have deep metal roots. Me and Pellaz have been friends with those guys for years, good guys and a great live show. They started off as a straightforward goth act, with vocals strongly influenced by Bruce Dickinson, of all things. Over the years they've moved into a more hard rock oriented style, with their own distinctive sound. I honestly can't compare them to anyone else, and yet, their songs are cohesive and really catchy. It's like they've stumbled onto a combination that should have always existed.

The Last Dance...more bro's of mine. If you want to know what I am always talking about when I am using the term "goth," this is the band to check out. Their album "Whispers in Rage" is probably the best gateway goth album for metal fans that I have ever heard. Their guitarist, Rick, is the finest guitarist I have ever heard in the goth rock genre.

Calabrese will also be performing. Imagine horror punk that isn't a simple ripoff of the Misfits. Yeah, you can tell the 'fits' influence, but Calabrese makes the style all their own. I expect a great show out of these guys.

Voltaire will be performing with his full band, which will be an event, and Cruxshadows always put on a professional show. They won't be to every metal fan's taste, but I recommend them to people who have an appreciation for the more substantial New Wave bands of years past.

I've heard about Vainglory and TTD playing, but have not heard the official word from my end. I hope they aren't against other bands I want to see, because I'd like to see a "metal metal" presence at DragonCon in future years. I really like TTD's "Crest of Martyrs."

Never listened to Twisted Tower Dire.

Very good, solid "meat and potatoes" heavy metal. Some people classify them as "power metal," but to me they just sound like an update of traditional 80's-style heavy metal.

Hey Hoyt...it just dawned on me you'll be at DragonCon due to Vainglory! Awesome!

I checked the Dragoncon site and couldn't find out much. Can you buy a concert only ticket or do you have to get the $85 pass? Also, are the bands spread out throughout the weekend, or do they all play on one day? I am very interested in going, especially if TTD are playing.

Yeah, I'm also interested in this...I want to see Stolen Babies and a few of the other bands, but I'm not sure if I can afford to shell out $85 at the moment.

I checked the Dragoncon site and couldn't find out much. Can you buy a concert only ticket or do you have to get the $85 pass? Also, are the bands spread out throughout the weekend, or do they all play on one day? I am very interested in going, especially if TTD are playing.

Spread throughout the weekend, generally starting around 11 pm, though that is by no means definite. Last I checked, set times were still in flux.

Yeah, same here!

Vainglory will likely be performing on Thursday night. A membership (ticket) will probably NOT be required. I'm going to try to hook them up with a merch/promotional table all weekend if they want it....and if I have room.

TTD will -probably- be on Friday night. A single-day pass is usually around $30. Get there early and look around; Dragon*Con is like nothing else on Earth.

RennFaire folks, note that The Lost Boys, The Brobdingnagian Bards and Three-Quarter Ale will also be performing. (Lost Boys will be playing on Thurs. night only.)

Derek, Voltaire's full band is performing? Freeeow! Awesome! If they're the same lineup as the last time they performed, it'll be a helluva show. :kickass:

--Paul C.
Director, Hyatt Concourse and acoustic stage, Dragon*Con

Derek, Voltaire's full band is performing? Freeeow! Awesome! If they're the same lineup as the last time they performed, it'll be a helluva show.

Yeah, if it is the same line-up, that is going to be a show to beat. I was glad to hear this news...actually from the V-man himself.

Derek

Very good, solid "meat and potatoes" heavy metal. Some people classify them as "power metal," but to me they just sound like an update of traditional 80's-style heavy metal.

Not sure if they've mellowed in recent years but years back they used to be militantly anti-power metal. Quotes from one particular interview:

"True metal warriors are those who have the balls to stand against the trends (even if the trend is to sound like Helloween) and receive inspiration from their own idea bank."

"Your average shithead listening to Rob Flynn (remember Vio-lence!) wants to hear heavy music but his mainstream confines won't allow him to hear anything outside of the poseur realm."

"Twisted Tower Dire writes quality music because we're fucking good musicians. Why the fuck would we settle for anything less than the height of our abilities?"

"Everyone should be playing guitar like Yngwie Malmsteen and burning churches!"

i wish GWAR would come back...i remember seeing Spock's Beard with like 60 other people once, that was great....maybe iced earth could come back too....Michael Bruce Group kicked ass. Gene Loves Jezebel also
i get so SICK of seeing Voltare and the Cruxshadows EVERY year. Which perhaps is why im not going this year. Godhead? where are they? there is usually the trinity of voltare, cruxshadows and godhead. then you have another band thrown in for comic relief. dudes in labcoats playing surf-rock. yeah, sign me up for that one. (sarcasm)
we (DC Moon and His Atomic Supermen) were told every year since 2000 we could come play. have we? no. Not since Kramer went on house arrest...

Not sure if they've mellowed in recent years but years back they used to be militantly anti-power metal. Quotes from one particular interview:

"True metal warriors are those who have the balls to stand against the trends (even if the trend is to sound like Helloween) and receive inspiration from their own idea bank."

"Your average shithead listening to Rob Flynn (remember Vio-lence!) wants to hear heavy music but his mainstream confines won't allow him to hear anything outside of the poseur realm."

"Twisted Tower Dire writes quality music because we're fucking good musicians. Why the fuck would we settle for anything less than the height of our abilities?"

"Everyone should be playing guitar like Yngwie Malmsteen and burning churches!"

I'm guessing you were talking to Scott? :lol:

They're friends of mine. They may seem serious about that in interviews, but they're not really that uptight about it in person. When they were based in VA, they got called power metal all the time - even though most on this forum wouldn't consider them that.

Of course, most wouldn't consider us that, either. Labels suck. :lol:

I'm guessing you were talking to Scott? :lol:

Waldrop quotes for sure, but I guess I should clarify those quotes were from their interview in Isten, not one of mine. I interviewed Scott when they released their second album but I was still feeling my way around the 'true metal' thing so I couldn't get anything nearly so memorable out of him. :)

Sorry, I had to join the forum just so I could get more info on this. Twisted Tower Dire is awesome! I've seen them a few times and can't wait to see them again. However, is there a certain reason why Twisted Tower Dire and Vainglory would not play on the same night? They're the most metal bands there! It would not make sense to have either band with a goth or punk band playing beforehand.
Also, Dragoncon has 1 day passes as well. For those of us who are poor, that helps! :)
Hope to see everyone at DragonCon supporting their metal!