Pain of Salvation fans

zekeyou

Mar 3, 2004
The Triiiaaannnnggggle
Prior to PP3 I gave Remedy Lane a shot and didn't care for it, and tried to watch their set that year but couldn't get into it at all. Gave the album another shot before PP5 and attempted the set again, to no avail.

After the announcement of the Remedy Lane show last year, I started spinning it again over the past year and began to enjoy parts, and vowed to watch the entire set. I did, and I was floored-- it's been on heavy rotation since, so, a few questions...

I know they have an extensive catalogue-- full lengths, eps, and live albums. Do they have different stylistic eras? If so, what would you consider them to be or how would you categorize such eras?

Also, regarding the full length albums, what are your favorite 2 and least favorite 2 (excluding Remedy Lane) and why?

I already have another in hand with 4 more on order.

Once you are finished strolling down "Remedy Lane," it's all about "The Perfect Element, Part I."

I suggest you take time and absorb one album at a time as it is far more rewarding.

Once you are finished strolling down "Remedy Lane," it's all about "The Perfect Element, Part I."

I suggest you take time and absorb one album at a time as it is far more rewarding.

After reading various reviews, I was planning on saving this one for the very end, as I had a hunch it would be the next best thing.

I too started with Remedy Lane and went to The Perfect Element 1.
I found TPE1 to be far denser at first - an intense beginning, multiple parts to songs, a blunter production. It's just a tougher album at first encounter. But once it opened up for me, it REALLY OPENED UP.

After reading various reviews, I was planning on saving this one for the very end, as I had a hunch it would be the next best thing.

It is the flat out the best album of all time. I guess if you want to save it for last the next choice is Entropia.

It is the flat out the best album of all time. I guess if you want to save it for last the next choice is Entropia.

Not sure about all time, but I would agree with going to Entropia next to get your full prog on.

Once you hit "Be," you are treading in dangerous water after that....

I'm a TPE girl and have been since ~2000, so Wednesday (as was PPV) was practically a religious experience, at least until I inhaled one too many farts from somebody in front of me and I had to head to the back of the room for fresh air.

Entropia was the first I got into and still love it. Then I got familiar with Remedy Lane for the show and was just blown away. I have listened to all the albums now and there are only a few that I don't care for. Yet!

My least favorites are the Road Salts because that's just not my style.

My two non-Remedy Lane favorites...Perfect Element for sure. And probably One Hour by the Concrete Lake for the other. I mean...Inside...damn.

For the record I even go so far as to still like Scarsick. I'm in the minority on that, though.

For the record I even go so far as to still like Scarsick. I'm in the minority on that, though.

Feel like most people can't look past stuff like "America" and "Disco Queen" but man, there's some absolute gems on Scarsick. That four song stretch from "Kingdom of Loss" to "Flame to the Moth" in particular is as good as anything they've done.

Feel like most people can't look past stuff like "America" and "Disco Queen" but man, there's some absolute gems on Scarsick. That four song stretch from "Kingdom of Loss" to "Flame to the Moth" in particular is as good as anything they've done.

I actually really love both America and Disco Queen. They both do a fantastic job of illustrating some social/political wtf-ery. I really like America because it kind of wraps things up perfectly.

And I'll agree with you about those 4, they're a fantastic set.

I used to like Scarsick with some reservations, but now I just flat out love it. As you said, that second half is as good as it gets.

While I would save the Road Salts for last, there is some amazing stuff on those albums. Sisters is as good as just about anything from their classic albums. I have always said that I could trim some of the fat and combine those into a single (70) minute album that would stand alongside the rest of their catalog.

But my recommended listening order would be

RL
TPE
Entropia
OHBTCL
BE
Scarsick
Road Salt

I'm a TPE girl and have been since ~2000, so Wednesday (as was PPV) was practically a religious experience, at least until I inhaled one too many farts from somebody in front of me and I had to head to the back of the room for fresh air.

h9CF26321

yes I fucked this up with a typo,I'm buzzing...

I just got into these guys about a year ago.....I'm so glad I did. Seeing them last Wed and Sat were one of the many highlights of the Fest for me. I can't wait to see them and Vangough again this Sun night here in Chicago. My favorite PoS albums in order: Remedy Lane, Perfect Element, One Hour ...., Entropia, Scarsick, RS1, RS2, & Be. I can't wait for their new cd. I won't be putting down their CDs for awhile.

I 1st got into Pain of Salvation on Ken Golden's recommendation right about the time "One Hour By The Concrete Lake" came out. I was ordering frequently from LaserCD at the time and this had some critics praising it.
Well, I played it through and did not care for it at all. A few months later, I gave it a 2nd spin and I can remember everything about it. It was immediate, it was intense, and I fell in love with this band and this cd. Its all about timing.
The mood was right and I was glad I gave it another try. I followed by grabbing Entropia, loved that one also, and then had to patiently wait for the next one. Each successive release blew me away up to and including "Be".
When "Scarsick came out I liked it in bits and pieces, but it was hit and miss. Road Salt is good on its own, but compared to the earlier discography it just doesn't compare.
All in all though, Remedy Lane is the peak of creative genius

Lots to take in, for sure. Am curious to hear Be, as I recall the backlash on the Braveboard being pretty heavy when that came out.

"One Hour By the Concrete Lake" was the first to arrive, so that one is getting my time.

So far the tracks that are jumping out are "Black Hills," "Pilgrim," and "Inside Out."

Thanks for all the feedback.

Remedy Lane was my first one. I had no idea what to make of it after listening to it and those kind of albums tend to end up being all-time faves. At the time it was the newest one out so I just went backwards from there. PE Pt I is also an all-time classic. PoS is also what brought me to PP for the first time at PPIII because I had never heard of the fest until then. So very good timing. BE is a WTF kind of listen as well, but there's some good stuff on there. It was cool that it made its debut for sale at PPV even though the band didn't play anything from it. It was funny watching them sign it because they hadn't even seen it yet. Scarsick (PE Pt II) got a lot of flak for Disco Queen and America (which I like), and I agree there's some great stretches of music on that album. Now Road Salt I & II are completely different and I still don't know how I feel about them. I'll have to dive back into them at some point and see how I like them. I find it kind of a shame that the entire band is now gone minus Daniel of course, but I look forward to seeing what they come up with and how much Ragnar contributes to it. He was absolutely amazing during their set.

Finally some mention of 12:5...

The 1st 5 discs including 12:5 are my favorites...

After that it was down hill for me with the exception of a few songs on each release...

I only watch BE and never just listen to it... I wished they would've done a DVD for 12:5!