Pain of Salvation's Remedy Lane - The Ultimate Thread

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
I know what you're thinking right now...

"The thread wasn't necessary." "Milton is exaggerating and simply trying to bring more attention and hype to the Remedy Lane set," "How biased..." "The album came out 10 years ago," etc.

This thread spawned from the Big Four thread we have ongoing. After that thread started, I went back to all of the "big four" albums of ProgPower XV and listened through to each of them. Remedy Lane was the last one, and the only thing I've been listening to. It's no wonder I've said it before and will say it again: personally, this is my favorite album ever written. Period.

I know that, much like Pain of Salvation, this album can be very polarizing. As Glenn put it on the other thread, either you love it or you hate it. There's no middle ground. It's a deeply emotional, heavy listen. I got curious after reading the discussion that thread started... then I went to read some Amazon reviews to see what the consensus was.

"Remedy Lane" is an album that has challenged me like no other. When I first got it, over a year ago, I practically hated it. (...)
I have never bought an album that has grown on me to the extent that this album has. I will never understand why it took so long to grow on me, but I'm eternally grateful that it did.

How about you? What do you feel about the album? Does it connect with you in more than just a "I like this music" level? Why on Earth is this album heralded as such as progressive rock/metal classic? Is this truly the "embodiment of musical art" as another reviewer said?

Talk to me about this album, please.

My #1 favorite album ever since first hearing it in summer 2002.
I blind-bought Remedy Lane at a local shop by where I lived. At the time of the purchase I was just thrilled I could find a prog metal album in any store.
About a month later it dawned on me that I had listened to the album, with headphones, every day since buying it. I certainly hadn't thought about doing that when I first bought it. But without me consciously looking for it, the album got under my skin and entered my consciousness in a way that I can't compare to any other music I'd heard. It was as if it was what I'd been waiting my whole life to hear. This continued through the summer and into the fall, where it grew even more on me because the weather seemed to fit overall nature of the album.

So when February 2004 rolled around and their name was on the list for the ProgPower 2004 announcement, I figured it was high time for me to go check out a concert out of state. And am I ever glad that I did!

I love Streets and am a Savatage freak. Mercy Falls is one of my favorite albums to come out in the last five years. It may even be my favorite. The thought of hearing both of them at this year's festival is enough to make my head explode.

Yet neither hold a candle to Remedy Lane. I won't say it's my favorite album ever, but it's in my top five. It's the "magnum opus" of Pain of Salvation. The lyrics, the emotion, it's unparalleled.

I totally agree it's a polarizing disk: You love it or you hate it. Many love it, some despise it.

The disk isn't something to digest in one, five or even ten listens. It took me a long time to get into it. But all of a sudden, it hit me. It hit me hard. And it's been hitting me hard for the better part of (nearly) a dozen years. If it doesn't grab you, it may never will. But don't write it off until you've given it a dozen solid spins. If it ever hits you, you'll be thrilled you gave it the time of day.

I'm going to come back in with more later, but for starters "Why is this the best album ever?"

Because if you hear this:
I believe this heart of mine when it tells my eyes
That this is beauty
I believe this heart of mine when it tells my mind
That this is reason
I believe this heart of mine when it cries at time
That this is forever
I believe this heart of mine when it tells the skies
That this is the face of God

And it doesn't make you think of your spouse (provided you're married) then you've married the wrong person. That's some of the purest and most powerful words to describe love that I've ever known.

I first got Remedy Lane when my wife was pregnant with our first child.

Do you really need me to go on????????????

This is an amazing album, and you guys know I am not too big on prog metal.

This will be a very cool performance indeed.

It's right behind Hospice by The Antlers as the most depressing concept album ever written. And one of my all time favorites records.

Depends on if you prefer middle school cafeteria mystery meat or filet mignon.

To put it another way, Pain of Salvation are my favorite band and I don't like either Road Salt album. Remedy Lane and The Perfect Element flip flop as their best album for me. Depending on my mood, whichever is on top is also in my top 5 of all time.

I'm going to come back in with more later, but for starters "Why is this the best album ever?"

Because if you hear this:

And it doesn't make you think of your spouse (provided you're married) then you've married the wrong person. That's some of the purest and most powerful words to describe love that I've ever known.

Yup - that was the song we danced to at our wedding.

As much as I love Remedy Lane, it's The Perfect Element that I had on repeat for the better part of a year back in 2001. I gravitate heavily towards bands that slit their wrists in lyrics in the first place, but that's the album that really hits me in The Feels for personal reasons.

As much as I love Remedy Lane, it's The Perfect Element that I had on repeat for the better part of a year back in 2001. I gravitate heavily towards bands that slit their wrists in lyrics in the first place, but that's the album that really hits me in The Feels for personal reasons.

Same. Love remedy lane so much, but Perfect Element is may favourite

I bought Road Salt and it didn't do much for me. This is better?

Road Salt sounds like a completely different band - literally 100% different.

Remedy Lane has been heralded as some of the greatest progressive metal ever released. Don't expect Dream Theater-like technical chops (although PoS gets technical in parts). The combination of music + lyrics + concept + emotion/feelings put into it and unleashed from it are second to none.

I don't think you can really convince anyone of the merits of this album. This album is easily one of the most genuinely powerful emotional albums of all time. The depth of the lyrics and the sincerity of emotions help make a powerful connection with those who love this album. Yes, I think the music and Daniel's singing are amazing. But what makes this a top ten album all time for me is both the concept and the emotional range on the album. It turns from melancholy, to romantic and to tragic on a dime. I know for some people that is not why they put on music, especially in a genre (which I absolutely love) where often lyrical maturity and depth can be measured in a thimble.

Again, I get that it is not everyone's cup of tea. But I would recommend those that are interested really sit down with it and perhaps the lyrics (like we did when we were teens back from the record store). It is probably something not initially best experienced on the computer while you are working or in bits in pieces in the car. I would say, give it this chance. Sure, you still may not dig it, but I think at least you tried to under optimum conditions.

Agree with everyone that road salt albums are hard to appreciate compared to their previous work. I also like their "Be" album. The story telling is interesting on their work, and I usually don't care about what bands are saying. The melodies and unique tone on Remedy Lane album is pretty special stuff. They have a unique feel to any other stuff that came out 10 years ago. I'm not really into religious stuff, but they seem to make it entertaining in a way that isn't trying to preach, and I think it's a good thing if bands put out lyrics with thought-provoking / inspirational / positive ideas rather then the regular metal lyrics.

I notice the songs on Remedy Lane are extremely heavy. They seem to play with a endless half-time kind of dragging feel - never going into full on mad blast beats or progressive breakdowns. Very nice little guitar elements come in, and then they play with hard and soft textures on the vocals and overall mix. It so much more about the space, and the feel, then any kind of technical obsession. I'd say they are the complete opposite of Seventh Wonder, but similar in terms of story telling.

The drum beat on the beginning of "Waking Every God" is amazing in how awkward it is. Then you have a guitar pattern come over top of it with a different rhythm. That really engages you with its complexity. No individual part is all that fast or hard to play, but they are a great band in how it is arranged with overlapping tracks that don't merely follow the standard 4/4 beats. I'd guess that everyone that is a prog fan, knows a little bit more about music theory then the regular music fan, because you can't appreciate the music if you don't know a little bit about why it feels different. Great musicians pay more attention to the space between the notes like this - phrasing, rests, arrangements. Bands that settle for standard 4/4 dance patterns are extremely boring in contrast. They might creatively play with lyrics and textures, but they don't hold up over time at all.

The vocals on Pain of Salvation albums border on being a rap song sometimes, which seems to be something the singer enjoys doing on multiple albums. I'd probably argue if there is any weakness to their music, it is when the singing becomes focused on percussive rap "talking" without concern for pitch, but the singing is otherwise good. I'm sure its fun for him to express himself in different ways like that.

I think in concert, they will be very emotional like everyone is saying. They aren't going to be the band that hits you with the most power or aggressive energy. It's more likely to have a calming effect. I think about 40% of the audience will be bored to death, but I will love hearing this band, and especially this album.