Panic Cell - Bitter Part Of Me

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Panic Cell - Bitter Part Of Me
2004 - Casket Records
By Philip Whitehouse

panic.jpg

Go to the Casket Records web site.

Hailing for darkest Kent in England, Panic Cell have emerged from impressing the hell out of all and sundry with their live shows to release their debut album through Casket Records (home of such diverse, quality acts as Devolved, Lipid, Zero Cipher and Landmine Spring), and it's a bit of a corker!

A punchy and powerful blend of traditional, hard-edged rock value and more modern immediacy and heaviness, Panic Cell sound somewhat like Pantera, Soil and Alice In Chains in a free-for-all cage match. Catchy, hook-filled riffage with a solid, chunky production couples with melodic lead work and the fairly impressive range of the vocalist, blending Phil Anselmo-esque aggro-shoutage with more melodic clean singing in a Layne Staley-stylee. The Dave Chang production serves the band well - the bass growls and grumbles along while the down-tuned guitars pack a hefty wallop. The drums are clear in the mix also, although the drumming is occasionally a tad uninspiring - fairly simple four to the floor beats abound, but they serve their purpose in punctuating the songs.

The near-forgotten tradition of the obligatory power-ballad has been reintroduced here too, in the form of album highlight 'Thousand Words', which is reminiscent of Pantera's 'This Love' with its laid-back clean-guitar picking and kick-in-the-teeth chorus. All this is great, but there isn't too much in the way of radical originality about the release - there isn't really anything that makes you stand up and shout 'these guys are gonna be huge!', and considering the mainstream's current obsession with screamo and the like, one can't help but wonder whether Panic Cell may have missed their window of opportunity somewhat.

Regardless of this, however, this is a solid, consistent album. While they might not make anybody's 'favourite band' lists, they at least will find a considerable fan base amongst those eager for some commercially-inclined metal with some balls to come along.

7/10

lol its funny but when I heard them for the first time the first thing I did was Jump up and say these guys could be huge! lol Huge here in the states atleast .... These are a cool buch of guys and this is a great cd I look forward to the day when they tour the states and make it big :headbang:

I have to disagree with the original poster as well. The guys in the band are extremely cool and are my "net buddies" but I'll give an honest evalutaion and put them at about an 8 - 8.5. This isn't a CD that I would have to preorder and have over-nighted to me, but I think the band is quite original enough and the vocalist and musicians all have a fairly unique delivery. The songs are pretty well written and don't sound the same or bleed together often.
The harmony vocals are very good, the vocalist has a unique style and the twin guitar attack is always a welcomed addition. The drummer also has some great riffs in there as well and the bass player lays down a great foundation for the songs. I really enjoy this disc. There are places in the disc where one guitar starts a rythm in one channel, then the second joins in in the other That is a "classic" rock/metal cliche' but it still sounds great giving the band depth and seperation. The ballad "Thousand Words" is the highlight of the disc. I don't want my metal to be too "soft" but they could have put two on the disc as they know how to write one. Excellent song there.
My only negatives with this band is the detuning (low tuning) and the lead vocal delivery during the harmony vocals. Though detuning is common these days, I think they could do without it. Their style doesn't seem to really need that. detuning, especially in a band with two guitars mushes the sound up and it sounds as though the drummer compensated for the detuned guitars as well which makes his snare sound flat to me. As far as the vocalist, sometimes the harmony vocals sound slightly out of key, but it is not the harmony vocalists, but rather the lead vocalist using his usual "unique delivery" that seems to clash with the harmonies. If the singer were to be a bit more "ordinary" in his delivery where harmony vocals are present, I think it would sound better.
These are very minor complaints I might add. Had I not been impressed with this band, I wouldn't even have went into detail with my complaints. I am also not John Q. Metalhead and I have a fairly unique taste, so what I like may not be what everyone else likes. I can see good things happening with this band if they get some decent promotion.

Bryant

LOL - geez, you guys really wanted me to give Panic Cell the 8, didn't you? To clear things up - I highly enjoy the album, and a mark of 7 puts it into the 'very good' category, clearly above the 5 'average' mark - I still think there's some growth to undergo here, but generally this is a very professional, honest and well-executed slab of metal. Surely a difference of one point doesn't make the review invalid, does it? Hehehe...

not at all dill.to be honest,firstly i was just glad that you spent the time to review it.on the whole,i thought that your review was pretty spot on.
i was hoping you'd say that although the type of music we played wasnt origional,the delivery of it was quite,but many of the comments about the music itself were really appreciated.a general consensus of everyone thats heard it seems to be that thousand words is the song of the album.must admit,that surprised all of us a little,although we all really like the song.
on the whole dill,a good review(particularly for me being the singer!!!)cheers for it.
p.s-we really are hoping to be on quite a few peoples "fave bands"list.time will tell.lol

dill_the_devil said:
LOL - geez, you guys really wanted me to give Panic Cell the 8, didn't you? To clear things up - I highly enjoy the album, and a mark of 7 puts it into the 'very good' category, clearly above the 5 'average' mark - I still think there's some growth to undergo here, but generally this is a very professional, honest and well-executed slab of metal. Surely a difference of one point doesn't make the review invalid, does it? Hehehe...
Ha ha ha well to be honest, I also think they have some growth potential in them as well. I will be very intersted in hearing them grow as a band, but one of the reasons I give them high marks is because I think they sound great DESPITE the low tuning. I have a very open mind and don't "hate" the low tuning per se, but I find that especially in a band with two guitars that it simply "mushes up" the sound. Low frequencies don't carry stereo seperation well, nor do they offer as much of a "spatial" feel (like something far away as compared to something close by.) I am very picky about being able to discern each instrument and it's part for most passages in a song. That's not to say there aren't times when instruments and or vocals shouldn't bleed together and become one as I think it is a very useful chop, but those qualities I mentioned often require either musicians/songwriters ("musicians" includes vocalists of course) that have that much of a vision for the art of the presentation or an elite producer (Dirks, Lange etc.) that gets to know the band and draws that out of them.

I don't know what this reply has to do with the price of tea in China or this review, but that is what was in my head. >:p~

Bryant

baldyboy said:
bryant-"unique delivery"isnt another way of saying "crap singing"is it?your not trying to spare my feelings are you?
Ha ha ha, definitely not. Unique delivery would be along the lines of Rick Mythiasin of Steel Prophet. Some say you have a bit of phil Anselmo in your style and I can hear that a bit, but not to a great extent. You have a unique voice in the way that you sing as opposed to having a very genetically unique voice like say Udo. That's both good and bad. A vocalist that has a "unique delivery" or even a unique voice will usually have listeners either hot or cold as opposed to lukewarm. You will probably "jump out" to some people that buy and go through a lot of music quickly and get some good spins from those people which is good word of mouth, but at the same time you could get some listeners that buy less music but are more set in their stylistic ways and they wouldn't listen to ten seconds of you, but may listen to someone less unique as it may sound like another vocalist they like.
I don't even know if what I wrote makes sense.... it's my bedtime and I am about to fall out. >:p~

Bryant

i think i understand bryant,i guess i have got one of those voices that you either love or hate.such is life huh?
the albums out now,so i guess time will tell how many people do like it!
thanks for all the complimentary words too,its been good to read them.
never know bryant,maybe we will put 2 power ballad type songs on the next one,and bundles more solos to boot.