Paradox Box Set Reviews

But where will you get the other £4.99 from?

If you have a sisterI suggest you sell theirs - or maybe a room mates.

It's worth it...

you're right.... I'll find a knife and wait for the right time

While we're at it, I might as well do some medical trials so I can get some of the other merchandise I haven't been able to afford.

CD TWO: SUNSEEKER REVIEW

Sunseeker: Radio Edit...oh dear! The ultimate version of Sunseeker is the album version for me. Without the intro and the opening killer guitar solo, which gives the album version a gargantuan appeal, the radio edit sounds weak in comparison. Having said that, I quite liked how the keyboards have been remixed to the forefront giving it a commanding and eerie air. I remember writing an email of complaint to Richard when I first heard the edited version on the Critical Energy DVD! Sunseeker is at its most potent and lethal when played as per the album version and that's the way it should be played live. No radio editing on stage or I'll do some editing of my own!

Fist of Tongues: The title conjures a very strong metaphor and oh me! oh my! there is some seriously furious riffing going on which would certainly gain the approval of Thrash fans. There is a gamut of guitar tones used here with loads of vicious breaks and changes. This is probably one of the heaviest tracks I've heard from Threshold with a killer and imaginative guitar solo from Karl. Glynn Morgan sounds out of this world offering some of the most powerful vocal delivery in Threshold history! Why did he leave Threshold or why was he allowed to leave is beyond me!

Half Way Home: Or as I like to call it, "The Ballad of Glynn Morgan". WHAT A VOICE! Glynn is equally comfortable singing the mellow stuff as he is doing the heavier stuff. This is classic Threshold power ballad! It's one of those songs which makes you feel better about yourself; makes you feel like the greatest singer in the world when you hum it! I like how everybody on this song restrains themselves to allow Glynn's voice to shine. There is some seriously tasty keyboard work in the background by Richard West to enhance the feelgood factor. The song ends with a very emotional and inspired outro guitar solo which only Karl Groom knows how to conjure.

This CD has to be played on 11 to really appreciate the gems on offer here. Having heard Glynn sing, I would not mind hearing more of him on future Threshold releases. Maybe on the next Threshold album Glynn and Damian can share vocal duties! How awesome and original would that be?!

Having heard Glynn sing, I would not mind hearing more of him on future Threshold releases. Maybe on the next Threshold album Glynn and Damian can share vocal duties! How awesome and original would that be?!

Just what I thought as well. There is no law that says a band cannot have two vocalists, so it would be well original and unusual, but more than that those two voices would compliment each other more then perfectly.

Back on topic, another strong favourite has got to be the compound version of Turn on Tune in. I really love the mellow but ever so catchy groove with the acoustic guitar and the wizardry that the synth is weaving in. Maybe I just grew a bit too used to the original to say this now, but I actually much prefer this version.

Smile at the moon is lovely, too. Damian’s vocals sound so emotional and etherial at the start that it could almost make you cry . And just before it might get too mellow, the lead guitar sets in and adds another level of depth and power.
I could easily see this track making it into the charts, not only because it fulfills radio-format but because it’s got everything a great song needs!

Just what I thought as well. There is no law that says a band cannot have two vocalists, so it would be well original and unusual, but more than that those two voices would compliment each other more then perfectly.

I was thinking more along the lines of Damian doing half the songs and Glynn doing the other half as opposed to both singing on the same songs...but that's not a bad idea either.

CD THREE: VIRTUAL ISOLATION REVIEW

Virtual Isolation: Radio edit. So far of all the radio edits I've heard, this song fares better even when trimmed. This is because it is a relatively straight forward song. There hasn't been many parts cleaved off save for the short intro. The radio edit does give the song a brutal start though.

Somatography: This is one of my favourite tracks from Extinct Instinct (whispering: "I actually love the whole album!"). How do you make a progressive song more progressive? You add cold, mechanical and detached vocals by a Prog bass player! I love Jon's part in here: The atmosphere that his voice creates reminds me of those space based science fiction movies. Somatography is one of the most progressive songs but also one of the most agressive songs in the Threshold catalogue because of the arresting drum beats and guitar riffs. The improved production work makes everything crispier thereby revealing more details which you might not have heard on the album versions. I love both versions equally. Jon's vocals are a welcome addition.

Smile At The Moon: or as I would like to call it now, "The Ballad of Damian Wilson". Having spent two days listening to 'Sunseeker', I was thinking how will the new song on 'Virtual Isolation' top 'Half Way Home'...and then there was 'Smile At The Moon'! As soon as I heard the opening notes, it transported me from the the atmosphere of Sunseeker into this whole new dimension. Travelling from one beautiful dimension into another.

The keyboard parts are some of the most beautiful pieces of music I've heard from Richard West, especially the opening notes - very original. Damian's voice totally connects to the story of the song and goes to prove that he deserves all the praise that he gets. The epic guitar solo by Karl Groom drips with emotion. That's the kind of guitar solos I expect from the Kings of British Progressive Metal! It is often said that a good bass player is one who knows when not to play. On 'Smile At The Moon' you can actually count how many notes are played on one hand before the first chorus! Each bass note is played like it mattered and resonates loud and clear to fill the room. The space in between adds to the majesty of the song.

'Smile At The Moon' is more than just a song. It is poetry beautifully served by the music! When I heard the first chorus of: "All that remains are the scars and the stains...", I went: "wow! WOW! WOW!". It sounds like a sad song but as the lyrics unfold you realise that it is actually a positive and encouraging song! Very clever lyrics.

What I like about Threshold is that they are great storytellers. They know how to capture moods and emotions and pass that feeling across to the listener.

These CDs are CD singles but as I am going through one of them per day, sometimes over two days, I feel that I am listening to a full length album! I am finding it incredibly difficult to tear myself away from one disc (because of the incredible feeling and atmosphere it creates around me) to the other. I am grateful that all these new songs have been spread on multiple discs because I don't think I would be able to experience all these emotions in one go and it would surely cause my hi-fi to bleed from everywhere...

I have to say I admire FG: I couldn't resist listening one cd per day, postponing the last of ONE whole week!

I started off with cd1, then switched to cd4 (having very few attention to pay to the music,better listen to something I already know), first thing I noticed is that even the songs already edited have been (at least slightly) remixed and or edited: respect!

With this said, well: I love the booklet! Congrats to Pete for giving it such a InsideOut-ish feel, it looks great! Only complaint is that the lyrics are missing, but I'm sure the guys @ Beyond will fill this gap on the future entries of the web magazine! ;)

I have to say I admire FG: I couldn't resist listening one cd per day, postponing the last of ONE whole week!

Everybody approaches and experiences music in their own way. This is the FG way! :cool:

Only complaint is that the lyrics are missing

That's something I've noticed too. A couple of pages should have been dedicated to the new songs. Why were the lyrics omitted Richard? Was it cost related?

Why were the lyrics omitted Richard? Was it cost related?

Well, it was a mere matter of space (and costs), I guess. Adding more pages for the lyrics would have costed more - and took more time to design -, while fit the lyrics in the actual booklet would have reduced the amount of space for the pictures, so the booklet wouldn't have looked that great.

But I guess all of us would have paid one/two more quids for an additional sheet on the booklet, would'nt we? ;)

CD FOUR: FREAK REVIEW

Freaks: This is the first song I ever heard from Threshold. It was available on a CD sampler from the French Hard Rock Magazine when Clone was released. As it so happened, it was the only track that ticked with me and which was also of superior quality to the rest of the sampler. The heaviness of Freaks brought up images of long haired leather clad metal heads to my mind. I was surprised/shocked that they looked nothing like that! If you have heard the original album version, the radio edit on offer here, will bring nothing new to the table. If you hear this track for the first time everything will probably seem to flow but since I've heard the album version it is very difficult not to be upset (offended?) every time the freaks are guillotined!

Change / Voyager II: Clone is a VERY powerful and emotionally intense record. It's one of the best concept albums I have ever heard. No matter what alternative version the band does, it will always be very difficult to top the originals. These alternative versions would never have worked on Clone. They would probably have weakened the album. The passion and intensity which make 'Change' and 'Voyager II' the mammoth which they are, are just not there. Voyager II should have been completely rearranged, a bit like what they did with Lifeflow for the acoustic version. Mac's vocals are too powerful for the acoustic version here.

These are interesting alternative versions but they will never ever rival the album versions.

Hey all

It’s been quite some time since I’ve posted here, but in light of the box set’s release reinvigorating my interest in Threshold (I’ve been listening primarily to Threshold of late), I wanted to post my thoughts.

First of all, I thought it was a real nice package and unique. The booklet is super cool – Pete did a great job of putting it and the rest of the packaging together. If there could be one complaint, it’s that the top of the box had a noticeable crease in the top, due to it not being shipped in an oversized box, and it having to travel all the way to me in California.

As for the contents of themselves, I’m pretty happy with them. Honestly, I feel no need to say nothing abooot the first track on each CD, as it simply is a radio or single edit, of which I’m not a fan, and any other differences (besides what was edited out) was almost completely unnoticeable to me. Don’t get me wrong, I understand the concept behind why first track is from the CD in a radio/single edit, but I don’t anticipate listening to them much, if at all. I much prefer the original versions.

1st CD – it’s been a long time since I’ve listened to Wireless, so I didn’t realize that Conceal the Face was on it. I’ll have to go back and listen to it at some point (never been much of an “unplugged” fan myself, with a few exceptions). I’m glad to hear the full/original/electric version of CtF – great track and definitely one that will be getting many listens in the future. Shifting Sands is a pretty good song, tho I’ll admit that to these ears, it’s nothing really special. I’m sure it will get some more listens in the future, tho not as many as CtF.

2nd CD – Glynn Morgan returns! I’ll be the first to admit that he is my favorite of Threshold’s vocalists, and I was extremely disappointed when he left the band (I’ve been a fan since 1994) – I certainly hope if Damian decides to leave again, that Karl and Rich will give consideration to bringing Glynn back again (Mindfeed never went anywhere, did they?). While his voice is a little more raw, I love the range of emotions that he exhibits with his delivery. Not only that, but IMO he is an amazing songwriter in his own right, which I think has been missing ever since he left. His songs (and even some he didn’t write on Psychedelicatessen) injected a lot more style and variety into the Threshold sound – something I miss, tho I do love most of Threshold’s output. I just think that a good number of Threshold’s songs have a similar style/sound to them, just as I feel a lot of Steve Harris’ (Iron Maiden) output since No Prayer doesn’t have the variety his older stuff did. But I digress...

Fist of Tongues is a searing track, and as someone else already said, one of the heaviest tracks that Threshold ever did – I love it. This is one of those songs I was referring to above, that pushes Threshold outside their traditional style/sound and into more diversity. Half Way Home is a decent enough track, but like Shifting Sands, won’t get as much play time from me as the song before it.

3rd CD – I never was a super huge fan of Extinct Instinct. While I love the album title, overall the songs just didn’t do it for me – perhaps it was due to my missing Glynn’s input? Anyway, Somatography was one of those tracks that I could take or leave – it was OK, but nothing super special to me. However, I gotta say this alternate version with Jon Jeary’s vocals increases my interest in the song greatly (despite it being shorter than the album version). I can’t say why, but this version of the song has much greater appeal to me and will be getting more listens from me for sure. Smile at the Moon is a great track – the first mellower/ballady 3rd song that I really like a lot – it’s short and mellow, but for some reason it grabs me in a way that many Threshold’s ballads don’t – for me the standout track on this CD. Not sure if it’s Damian vocal harmonies, the acoustic guitars, the guitar solo (which is especially emotional and well done) or what, but I love it!

4th CD – if I had to pick a single Threshold album as a desert island pick, Clone would probably be it (despite my preference for Glynn’s vocals) – there’s only one song on Clone I have a tendency to skip (Lovelorn). So I was looking forward to what additional treasures would be released from the Clone sessions. However, finding out that the 2 tracks that are the “B-sides” were previously released was disappointing. Don’t get me wrong, the Urban version of Voyager II and the unplugged version of Change are my two favorite tracks on Decadent – but that’s the problem – they’re on Decadent. I was hoping for something new, especially since Clone still hasn’t been reissued as a remaster or special edition with bonus tracks. I mean for someone who doesn’t have Decadent and wanted to get these tracks on an official release, this is great, but for an old time fan who has all the fan club releases already, it’s a bit of a let down.

5th CD – I like getting significantly different versions of songs, whether they be an early form of the song, a remix (such as the synthetic mix of Opium on Replica), or a later reworking of the song if these are well done. Voyager II was an example of that. Both Long Way Home and Turn On Tune In also fall into that same category, and both provide different and interesting takes. However, unlike Voyager II, neither of them hold up quite as well. The original version of LWH is great with all the effects, layering, vocal harmonies, etc. added to it. The alternate version, while an interesting, just doesn’t stand up to the original since it’s so much more straight ahead. Nonetheless, it’s a cool alternative – just not as cool. ;-) As for TOTI, I’ve never been much of a fan of the original – for some reason the chorus just doesn’t do much for me. So when I first listened to the compound version, I didn’t know what to think. I still am not super big on the song, but the compound version does provide a different and noteworthy take, and if I had to choose one version or the other, I’d probably pick this version over the album version.

6th CD – once again, I’m a bit bummed by the inclusion of a song previous released (New Beginning) but I understand why it was, for those who didn’t get the 2CD version of Critical Mass. In any case, it’s a killer song, and quite frankly I don’t know why it wasn’t included on the regular track listing of Critical Mass (even if there were plenty of mid-tempo songs already slated for CM). As I’m not super huge on unplugged versions of songs, the acoustic of Round and Round provides a nice alternative, but I much prefer the album version.

7th CD – as was the case with Round and Round, the acoustic take of Flags and Footprints is a nice alternative, but it doesn’t surpass the original, altho I have to say that I do like this version more than the acoustic version of Round and Round. As for the live version of Ravages of Time – I love it! One of my favorite songs off of Hypothetical, so getting a live version of it is a win in my book. It’s a shame that Surface to Stage couldn’t be a 2CD set, but since Critical Energy had just been released one studio album before, I can understand why.

8th CD – seeing as Elusive is also just a radio/single edit, the only real track on here of interest to me is Safe to Fly. I can see why the band developed it into a full band piece, especially in light of the rest of the material on Dead Reckoning, but this version is very cool and a welcome alternative. Judging by Rich’s comments on Elusive, I really wish they would’ve included the vocoder version of Slipstream as I think it would’ve provided a much more interesting alternative (never mind the fact that I abhor cookie-monster vocals).

So those are my thoughts on the box set. Is it worth the money? IMO, yes. Could it have been better? Yes. But in the end, am I satisfied? Absolutely. Keep up the great work guys!

BTW, for those of you making mention of the pain in having to switch CDs so often, you should do like I did – just compile all the tracks on to 2 CDs and keep the originals tucked away safely! ;-)

As for what I’d love to see Rich, Karl and crew release in the future? The top two things on my list would be the Cult of the Immortal tape (cleaned up and maybe remixed, but not re-recorded), and a headlining show from the Psychedelicatessen show spread over 2CDs.

I doubt that I can say something others haven't already said in their big reviews. :) But I'll give my 2 eurocents...

First of all, kudos on the packaging. When I think of a "singles box" or any boxset really, I always expect something massive and huge. Sure, it's nice to have, but where does one keep it? =/ I don't have a lot of spare room myself. I was very pleased when I found Threshold's new singles collection fit nicely in with the rest of their albums on my shelves.

I don't care much to spin my albums in my CD player. Come to think of it, I don't even have a standalone CD player anymore. I use my computer instead (also useful for putting said music on my iPod or something). So that's one of the problems I don't have. :Smug:

CD1 - Paradox: I noticed Paradox has newly recorded vocals. It's lovely, but I somewhat prefer the original Wounded Land vocals, as Damian sounds slightly different there...his voice reaches a bit higher and he sounds slightly less...well... "safe" as he sounds on the single version. Still, I love Damian, so no worries. Can't ever have enough Damian! :p I'm used to the Conceal The Face version on Wireless, so for me it requires a bit of adjusting vocal-wise. Shifting Sands is nice, but it's not one of the top Threshold songs in my humble opinion.

CD2 - Sunseeker: The radio edit of Sunseeker works well live, but I usually play the album version. Fist Of Tongues and Half Way Home are tracks I play a lot ever since I got the box. I seem to be one of the few who loves Half Way Home, even though I'm not much for ballads. Great tracks!

CD3 - Virtual Isolation: Always play the album version instead. I like the new version of Somatography, though. I've always loved the original, but hearing the new voice (which is Jon Jeary, I've heard someone mention?) is very refreshing. Smile At The Moon is lovely, and I admit I don't listen to it enough. I'm listening to it now, and I'm liking it.

CD4 - Freaks: Previously released versions on Decadent. It was nothing I didn't already know, sadly. Change isn't a song I generally listen to a lot. Voyager II's urban version is very powerful and would work well live, I'm guessing...but I miss Mac's voice shouting "Hello, little earth!!" as he does in the album version. I like how the drony guitar is slightly different from the album version, though I can't choose which one I like best. That said, I love the album version as well, with them few extras inbetween and an extended ending.

CD5 - Light And Space: Hehe, I enjoy the alternative take on Long Way Home. I do miss the bass solo of the original, and perhaps the vocals should've been sung anew, rather than editing Mac's voice so heavily. It works, but it's noticeable. The compound version of Turn On Tune In is pretty nice. I miss a few lines, but I like how it turned out. I play these tracks quite a lot as well.

CD6 - Phenomenon: Already owning the 2CD version of Critical Mass, there was only one new song for me on here: Round And Round's acoustic version. Now, I like Threshold's acoustic versions, but Round And Round isn't a track I generally play much. New Beginning is nice enough, but I already knew it.

CD7 - Mission Profile: Flags And Footprints is a song I really have to be in the mood for. It's a rather sad song. :cry: Acoustic works well, though. And to my surprise, a live Surface To Stage version of one of my favourite Threshold tracks!? The Ravages Of Time! Always a treat!!!

CD8 - Pilot In The Sky Of Dreams: No matter what record companies or anyone says, Threshold shouldn't have made this epic song into a radio edit. Safe To Fly is nice...I listen to the album version a lot. This acoustic version can't beat the original.

Conclusion: A very enjoyable selection of new tracks/new versions. I don't care much for radio edits, personally, so that's why I didn't really include them. I also don't really see the point of including previously released material, even if it is valid for this release. But fortunately there's a ton of new gems to be found, so that's definitely good.

Suggestions:

-A live DVD of some kind, whether of a full headlining concert, and/or bits and pieces of Threshold's past (not including bits from Critical Energy).
-Bring Glynn along some more. It works really well, and most of us seem pleased. Also, tie Damian up somewhere so he can't leave again. ;) :p
-Remaster and re-release the old demo tapes on CD:
---"First Demo" (1989) (tracklist: 1. Paradox, 2. Breakdown, 3. Endless Sea)
---"Mother Earth" (1990) (tracklist: 1. Day to Day. 2. Mother Earth, 3. Rich Bitch, 4. Burning Down the Middle, 5. Seventh Angel, 6. Count the Cost)
---"Cult Of The Immortal" (1991) (tracklist: 1. Conceal The Face, 2. Shifting Sands, 3. Heart And Soul, 4. Sweet Little Lady, 5. Aftermath, 6. Kick The Habit, 7. Paradox, 8. Through These Eyes)

Thank you for reading!

It's a completely different edit, actually, and it was NOT on Decadent :p

The "B-sides" were, though, right?
The Urban version of Voyager II is exactly the same.

As I've mentioned, I don't care much for radio edits, so it's very likely I wouldn't have noticed.

Rob is partly right that Voyager II is not the same as the Decadent release. Apart from being remixed, there is a completely different vocal on the last chorus. I also think one or two keyboard sounds are different from the original. In fact, none of the tracks that appeared on Decadent are the same versions. The only further tracks considered for this CD were live ones recorded at the LA2 in London. The multitrack recording is in pretty bad shape though and often distorted.

Another interesting point is that Mac's vocals were not edited from the original version of Long Way home either. It would be an incredible transformation, even with todays technology. This was the original version before the music was re-written and Mac recorded this at the time of the Clone sessions.

In fact, none of the tracks that appeared on Decadent are the same versions.

I noticed that but I couldn't say what's the difference (apart for a slight remix) with Change. Probably listening to both versions would help me find it out :p

Speaking of Decadent, a song that is worth re-releasing is the powerful remix of Mother Earth!

The only further tracks considered for this CD were live ones recorded at the LA2 in London. The multitrack recording is in pretty bad shape though and often distorted.

If it's the gig recorded in 1999, well the version of The Latent Gene added to the multimedia section of Concert In Paris sounds pretty bad for an official release - especially knowing how high are your standards, ahah :D
Just curious: what was the complete tracklist?

Another interesting point is that Mac's vocals were not edited from the original version of Long Way home either. It would be an incredible transformation, even with todays technology. This was the original version before the music was re-written and Mac recorded this at the time of the Clone sessions.

I had the feeling the vocals were too much different from the original to be just stretched and edited, but at the same time I know how wizards are you and Rich with Pro Tools & co. :D

Rob is partly right that Voyager II is not the same as the Decadent release. Apart from being remixed, there is a completely different vocal on the last chorus. I also think one or two keyboard sounds are different from the original. In fact, none of the tracks that appeared on Decadent are the same versions. The only further tracks considered for this CD were live ones recorded at the LA2 in London. The multitrack recording is in pretty bad shape though and often distorted.

Wow, a post from the master himself. Thank you for correcting and updating me, Karl. Now I'm curious to hear for myself the differences between the Decadent versions and the singles box versions.:) I understand you didn't choose those particular live versions, as well.

Aha, so that's why! The original version! I stand corrected. Forgive my ignorance on the matter.:) Obviously I have no studio, producing or recording experience, hehe.:loco: