PC set up's

I've got a custom built (yes, really custom, not just the word "custom" gimmick from many companies) computer running Windows XP Pro, 1Gig ram, 320Gib in 2 split harddrives, 4 fans, Soundblaster Audigy 2Z card, etc etc.
I run Cubase SX and use either DI with a microphone on the amp or Guitarport for quicker, rougher cuts.

I plan to get a few more toys this summer.

Built a PC for this myself, its a AMD 2800 Processor, 1 gig of RAM, 2 hard drives (80 and 160 gig), DVD ROM and DVD writer, Sound blaster Audigy 2Z Platnium, 2 Audiophile BX5 Monitor speakers, and a old Gfx4400 Video card.

What I use for recording is for the instant stuff is the Guitar Port and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. To practice with micing and semi professional recording (trying to see if I want to become a Sound Engineer) I have the Mbox with Pro Tools LE and a small 6 band Mixer that outputs everything to the monitor speakers.

our guitarist has like 20 computers and stuff but i cant name any of them. I just helped alot, didint I?

I actually forgot to mention what i use...

AMD Barton 3000 processor
1 Gig DDR ram
2 hard drives 80 , 120
M-Audio Omni Studio Soundcard set up (2 XLR mic inputs) Zero latency etc.(essentially a delta 66 pci with a breakout box).
Cubase SX 2 for software

On the very little ive done on it so far most of the recordings sound very good.. ive got to get cracking on some songs. I need a few more toys also.. like a midi contoller of some sort.

All of the guitars and bass for my album "Distant Tides" were tracked in my home. I'm running Logic 6 Pro on an Apple PowerBook G4 (the titanium one), and my audio interface is a preSonus Firestation. The guitars were recorded with a Line6 HD147 head going direct and the bass was going direct into the PreSonus' preamp.

3.0g Intel P4 @ 3.8GHz
1 gig PC4000 SDRAM @ 506MHz
Single 80G HD (I'm too cheap to buy windows for the new HD and give Bill Gates more money for flawed product)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card
7800GS CO video card (irrelevant)

I record with Creative's recorder because it's actually pretty good and free.
I mix on Magix Music Video Maker because it's what I got. (It's better than it sounds like it does.)

A Dell in which I play CS: Source and use guitar pro to make MIDI files. Cool Edit Pro for recording stuff with a mic that I borrowed from my girlfriend cause I'm cheap. Oh, I also have speakers.

that HD147 is quite beastly, I was considering it before I went with my rack setup, I just wish is was available in a combo

I figure I may as well give my entire recording setup. (I have spare time, and did my homework, so I have nothing better to do.)

START]} Guitar --> Line 6 Spider II HD75 Head (The cheaper Spider II) --> Behringer Eurotrack 16 track mixer (my keyboardist's) --> Tascam US-122 Recordee Box (Audio Interface Box) --> My Toshiba Satellite laptop --> Cubase LE {[END

Kenneth R. said:
fyi you don't have to buy windows to install a 2nd hard drive. you might need a serial cable, but that is all.

I don't want A second hard drive. I want to stripe RAID array two SATA HDDs.

I have a question for those of you in this thread that know stuff about computers and recording ....

Im in the middel of building a cp to record (well... someones helping me). And what I was gonna do is buy a mixer that I can plug into my USB port. Well if I do that, do I need to buy a soundcard that has the XLR inputs and all that? Or would that be kinda useless seeing as how the mixer is going to have all that and go right into the USB port?