what about your home studio?

cacto

what?
Nov 7, 2006
Canada, moving soon
yo

Any of you guys have a home studio of some kind? what kind of equipments do you have? what kind of (affordable) equipments are necessary for some decent recording?

It really depends on what kind of thing you're going for.

My setup is as follows:

Guitars (7 of em) -> [(Boss GT6, Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah)] or [(Marshall AVT150H&1960A 4x12) > (AKG Perception 200 Condenser Mic, or Shure SM58 Mic)] > PreSonus Firebox I/O > Audigy 2ZS Soundcard > Cubase SX3

Seems to work great for me. What you need is a hardware or software that lets you record multiple tracks, something to interface with it like a direct box or a microphone, and the patience to learn how to use them.

I just mic an amp through a GNX 4 and mix the stuff on Cool Edit Pro. It sounds like pure shit though.

haha :lol:

ADK 51 condenser mic for micing up, else i use line-in.
Vox AD30 tube amp
Tascam US122L soundcard.
Cubase SX or Sonar 6.

With some patience i can get a pretty awesome tone.

Yep, but don't expect the tone you get from your amp right away, you will probably have to do alot of tweaking.

It won't work the way you want it to at all. Especially for distortion which will just be a fuzzy mess. There are things like the line6 toneport (which I have) that help a hell of a lot, but nothing is reaaaally quite there yet. Not to a stage that could totally get rid of traditional recordings.

Actually, it works like this:

If you plug straight in, you will get a clean tone. If you use a DI box, you will get a NICE clean tone. If you use a floorboard like a Boss GT-8 into a DI box or I/O preamp, you will be able to get fairly good tones with distortion and effects. You can also run direct in like you're talking about, but then use software VSTs like Amplitube or GuitarRig to generate your distortion.

OR..... You could run a loop out of your amp into the DI box, OR just go the old fashioned way and mic your amp, with the mic running into the DI.

Mine in nutshell:
guitar: Ibanez RG with EVOs PU's
Mics: SM57 (hardly use em) and a Rode NT1-a Condenser mic
Amps: HK triamp MkII, Triaxis/20-20 power amp
Effects: TC Electronics G major, BBE 882i, TS-9 pedal
Cab: Randall Iso cab
Recording software: Mbox Protools LE 7.3

That's my main recording setup with tube gear, I do have some Solid State rockman gear that I use for my Boston cover songs and I can go direct line recording with those.

I do!

Here's what I use at home to record:

My computer (4-5 year old HP - still works great!)
Acid 5.0
Line 6 Spider II 212 Amp, direct recording for my guitar
My shitty old, $200 Epiphone SG
My electric/acoustic Ovation (direct recording)
SM58 Microphone
Yamaha Keyboard/Piano

This set up works/sounds great for me.

I have a ton of pirated software. Being a Music Tech major rules for that.

My main setup - Edirol 10-channel Firewire Interface > Sonar 4 Producer Edition.

I also have Cubase SX 3, and a decent MIDI keyboard.

For microphones, right now all I have is a few SM57s, which is all you need to record guitars. If I'm doing anything else, there's a killer rental place nearby where I can get all the mics I need for a few weeks for like 30 bucks.

I have a ton of pirated software. Being a Music Tech major rules for that.

My main setup - Edirol 10-channel Firewire Interface > Sonar 4 Producer Edition.

I also have Cubase SX 3, and a decent MIDI keyboard.

For microphones, right now all I have is a few SM57s, which is all you need to record guitars. If I'm doing anything else, there's a killer rental place nearby where I can get all the mics I need for a few weeks for like 30 bucks.

That's like $1000 worth of software you got there. I wonder if Romeo uses any downloaded programs.

Cubase SX 3 is great by the way!

I have audacity (which I still use, regardless if I can get a better one or not, because it's free, simplistic, and easy to program for), and for the tracks I've recorded so far, I've used that crappy program PC Drummer (which my version just expired), my 2 guitars and bass, an Audio-Technica ATR-30 mic, a Behringer V-amp 2, a crappy computer, a Sound Blaster Audigy 4 pro, and a huge mess of cables and confusion. Amidst all of that crap, I personally think I've managed to record some moderately good quality tracks.