Play the ProgPower USA Ultimate Roster Fantasy Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing this exercise proves is Glenn's job is hard! I kept going WAY over budget. But I would definitely spend the money to travel to see this lineup, so here we go:

Friday
Helloween $10
Angra $6
Seventh Wonder $6
Darkwater $3
Oceans Of Sadness $2
Steel Prophet $1

Saturday
Nightwish $10
Jorn $8
Orphaned Land $6
Mindflow $4
Symphorce $3
Theocracy $1

Total spent = $60 (no savings)

Friday:

Nightwish $10
Gamma Ray $9
Nightingale $4
Leprous $4
Communic $2
Vangough $1

Saturday:

Blind Guardian $10
Amorphis $9
Threshold $7
Haken $2
Adagio $1
Suspyre $1

Total Spent $60 = $0 Left Over

Tough choices .. took me a while to settle on something I thought would appeal to the Prog Power masses while also satisfying my own tastes. Hopefully most people would find this to be a high quality roster.

Britt

....here we go....

Friday
6 - Sabaton (9)
5 - JOP (8)
4 - Voyager (5)
3 - Leprous (4)
2 - Adagio (1)
1 - Manticora (3)

($30.00)

Saturday
6 - Nightwish (10)
5 - Redemption (7)
4 - Mustache (5)
3 - Kingcrow (3)
2 - Wuthering Heights (2)
1 - Lanfear (2)

($29.00)

Total Cost for Fest: $59.00
Total Cost Savings: $1.00

Edit to add individual band costs 01.17.12

Friday
Symphony X (10)
Therion (10)
Tad Morose (5)
Wuthering Heights (2)
Jag Panzer (2)
Theocracy (1)

Saturday
Blind Guardian (10)
Vanden Plas (9)
Brainstorm (6)
Elvenking (2)
Sinbreed (2)
Pathosray (1)

Total: $60

Friday
Evergrey $9.00
Tarot $9.00
Mob Rules $5.00
Delain $6.00
Borealis $1.00
Above Symmetry $2.00

Saturday
Nightwish $10.00
Pagan's Mind $7.00
Serenity $5.00
Amaranthe $3.00
Pathosray $1.00
Raintime $1.00

$1 leftover

After much debate, I finally decided on a lineup for this thing. To keep things more realistic, I chose bands that are still together (sadly, a lot of bands I would like to see at this festival again have broken up). In addition, though I stayed away from the oddballs, I kept the balance of prog and power fairly even.

Friday:
1)Royal Hunt (Now has even more appeal with the return of D.C. Cooper)--$9
2)Pain Of Salvation (Hasn't played the festival, or this country, in over 7 years, has a loyal following, and brings a bit of controversy)--$8
3)Brainstorm (A crowd favorite who always puts on a great show, has a new album out)--$6
4)Circle II Circle (Another crowd favorite, brings the Savatage sing along element, currently working on a new album)--$4
5)Andromeda (One of the tightest prog bands out there, has a new album out)--$3
6)Katagory V (Hey, it is MY ultimate fantasy, right? Besides, we're a bargain!)--$1

Saturday:
1)Edguy (Huge draw factor, hasn't played the festival in over 7 years, just released their best album since "Hellfire Club")--$9
2)Pagan's Mind (Yet another crowd favorite who has a terrific new album out)--$7
3)Firewind (Has a pretty big following among followers of the festival hasn't played the festival in over 5 years, should have a new album out this year)--$5
4)Pyramaze (The anticipation for a new album is pretty high, particularly due to Urban Breed's involvement, hasn't played the festival in over 5 years)--$2
5)Haken (Completely stole the show at ProgPower XII. 'Nuff said!)--$2
6)Theocracy (Keeps getting better with each recording as well as each show. Besides, they've never played the festival proper, and they're hometown boys!)--$1

Total spent--$57
Total saved--$3

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I used to have some hair before I pulled it out trying to play this game! :) Too many great bands to choose from so to make things a little more manageable I left out bands that played last year and those coming up this year along with those no longer together (e.g., Stride) and whose status I was unsure of (e.g., Steel Prophet). I tried to mix power and prog but it still came out unbalanced - love to see this though!

Friday
Accept $9.00
Pagan's Mind $7.00
Ark $5.00
Seventh Wonder $6.00
Pyramaze $2.00
Theocracy $1.00

Saturday
Weapons Of Mass Destruction $9.00
Crimson Glory $8.00
Delain $6.00
Leatherwolf $3.00
DGM $3.00
Borealis $1.00

Total: $60 (what are these savings you speak of? *heh*)

Sabaton 9.00
Delain 6.00
Freak Kitchen 5.00
Seventh Wonder 6.00
Andromeda 3.00
Haken 2.00

Weapons of Mass Destruction 9.00
Brainstorm 6.00
Voyager 5.00
DSO 4.00

Kingcrow 3.00
Zero Hour 2.00

Total = $60 Savings = None

Not sure how I failed to miss this topic, but what a fun idea! Here's my ideas:
Amorphis $9.00
Riverside $7.00
Mercenary $5.00
Rob Rock $4.00
Suspyre $1.00
Halcyon Way $1.00

$27

Nightwish $10.00
Vanden Plas $9.00
Pagan’s Mind $7.00
Zero Hour $2.00
Cage $1.00
Theocracy $1.00

$30

Total of $57

Friday

1.) Jorn $8
2.) Threshold $7
3.) Labyrinth $6
4.) Silent Force $4
5.) Virgin Steele $3
6.) Secret Sphere $2

Saturday

1.) Nightwish $10
2.) 7th Wonder $6
3.) Freak Kitchen $5
4.) Vision Divine $4
5.) Angel Dust $3
6.) Borealis $1

$1 to spare.

A Little Prog and Power involved.....

FRIDAY
1. Primal Fear $9
2. Pagan's Mind $7
3. Circus Maximus $6
4. Vision Divine $4
5. Saint Deamon $2
6. Red Circuit $2

SATURDAY
1. Blind Guardian $10
2. Brainstorm $6
3. Mustasch $5
4. Rob Rock $4
5. Iron Savior $3
6. Haken $2

TOTAL = $ 60

Ladies and gentlemen, for the first time, I present to you........."Der Big Four!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Friday Night
Blind Guardian
Edguy

Thunderstone
Savage Circus
Elvenking
Cellador

Saturday Night
Helloween
Gamma Ray

Mob Rules
Rob Rock
Powerglove
Adagio

All $60 used

Friday:
Vanden Plas $9
After Forever $6
Angra $6
Nightingale $4
Powerglove $2
Vangough $1

Saturday:
Evergrey $9
Riverside $7
Threshold $7
Ark $5
Haken $2
Enchant $2

FRIDAY

Vangough $1.00
Halcyon Way $1.00
Illusion Suite $1.00
Leprous $4.00
DGM $3.00
Helloween $10.00
Sanctuary $10.00

SATURDAY

Cage $1.00
Balance Of Power $1.00
Dreamscape $3.00
Delain $6.00
Epica $9.00
Nightwish $10.00

My logic: powerhouse sat close with Nightwish/Epica/Delain and getting exposure for the really solid up-and-commers like Van Gough and Halcyon Way.

FRIDAY:
1) Nightwish - $10 - Big draw, just put out an album that seems to be getting a lot of praise, hasn't played the fest in years.
2) Sabaton - $9 - I realize that next time they play the fest, they'll probably be headlining, but they worked in this slot with the rest of the lineup.
3) Seventh Wonder - $6 - Got a great reaction last time, would love to see them get more than an hour...if I'm fantasizing, I'll give them a headlining slot on Wednesday night too.
4) Nightingale - $4 - Rarely plays North America, Dan Swano has a lot of notoriety even if not all of it is for Nightingale, seems like a good bargain.
5) Sinbreed - $2 - Their debut is killer, good low slot power metal to get the energy going.
6) Theocracy - $1 - Awesome new album getting a lot of praise, good way to open the fest.

SATURDAY:
1) Blind Guardian - $10 - Doesn't tour the US as much as some of the other potential power metal headliners, draws well, and has seemingly done a better job of connecting with the younger generation than some of their peers.
2) Redemption - $7 - New album kicks ass, hasn't played the fest in a few years, seems like a no-brainer.
3) Jag Panzer - $2 - Reunion, obviously, but a big discography, haven't played many live dates over the past several years, good bargain for a mid-tier band.
4) Leprous - $4 - Not getting as much hype in North America yet, but I see more and more people talking about them. Perhaps they're a slot overbooked, but I think they've proven they can play up to it.
5) Amaranthe - $3 - Getting tons of hype, lots of people really excited to see them
6) Borealis - $1 - New album kicks ass, good higher energy start to Saturday.

TOTAL: $59
SAVED: $1

OK, I will play. Here is my lineup:

FRIDAY NIGHT

Headliner: Iced Earth $10 - Cemented the ProgPower name, and will have Matt Barlow up front.

5) Evergrey $9 - The unofficial PPUSA "House Band". Understanding Glenn's rules, no fantasy list should be without them

4) Freak Kitchen $5 - Really a huge presence and popular amongst the faithful

3) Nightingale $4 - Really a good band and a solid pick for this slot. Popular with many Prog fans in the underground.

2) Halcyon Way $1 - Rewarding the Atlanta natives for their success and help draw in some of the locals.

1) Katagory V $1 - Placating your base and this board. Now, how many here do NOT want to see Al Rybka aka Met-Al fronting Kat V at Center Stage?

SATURDAY NIGHT

HEADLINER: Therion $10 - They will NEVER tour the USA again. This will be the only place an America can see them here in the States. Your "Exclusive".

5) Threshold $7 - Another USA Exclusive. Solid act that will give the faithful reason to come to Atlanta.

4) Firewind $5 - Gus G leads a very good band into a deserved slot.

3) Voyager $5 - After annihilating audiences in NY and Atlanta, their star is on the rise. The last time a band played both PPUSA and Brooklyn as their only 2 appearances in the US on their debut, their career skyrocketed. That band? Nightwish.

2) Suspyre $1 - Not really an opener, so they go #2. Hey, how can I leave out Clay Barton on my fantasy lineup?

1) Borealis $1 - This act from the Great White North is on the rise. A must include.

Total two days: $59 Saved $1

Everyone is probably saying "Stingray left out Nightwish?!?" Yes, I did. If you read Glenn's rules, Nightwish is probably too big for PPUSA at this point. In today's economy, how would Nightwish get people to plunk down $1000 or better to fly to Atlanta and book hotel rooms when they will be coming to their town?

OK, get out the flame throwers

In today's economy, how would Nightwish get people to plunk down $1000 or better to fly to Atlanta and book hotel rooms when they will be coming to their town?
Replace "Nightwish" with "Epica" or "Symphony X"...not knocking your lineup, but that piece of logic by itself seems faulty.

Everyone is probably saying "Stingray left out Nightwish?!?" Yes, I did. If you read Glenn's rules, Nightwish is probably too big for PPUSA at this point. In today's economy, how would Nightwish get people to plunk down $1000 or better to fly to Atlanta and book hotel rooms when they will be coming to their town?

Well for one thing NIGHTWISH will not be playing in every town represented by the members on this forum, plus if you pair NIGHTWISH with 11 other must, have, gotta see bands then it is worth it.

Plus this is a fantasy promoter game.

Status
Not open for further replies.