PP USA VII DVDS- Message from Lucid Lounge Re: problems

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I just got a reply from Kent at Lucid Lounge. I have nothing but respect for Kent and I am happy with the final product given the short production time and budget limitations of the project.

Glenn

We are sorry to hear that any of you are experiencing problems with your ProgPower USA VII DVD’s
Big budget Hollywood releases even have their share of bad disc’s pressed…
My manufacturer does their best to ensure all discs are working properly before they are shipped.
If you suspect a bad disc please try playing the disc in several other DVD players. Some players (approximately 3% - usually but not always-older players) have a compatibility issue with some discs. If it plays well in any other player or computer; the disc is not faulty, and a new disc would not fix your problem (another player would obviously).
We do expect a small percentage of defective pressings, considering the huge amount of disc’s shipped only an extremely small percentage of fans have indicated any trouble at all.
If you truly have a defective disc that won’t play in any other player. Return the defective disc. And after a review to confirm it’s un-playability. We will gladly replace it at no charge.

To address a couple of items directly...
---Audio dropout during Epica’s: Consign To Oblivion. At about 1:25:00.00
The potential for this is on every disc pressed…the reason being is that these are dual layer DVD’s; meaning that video and audio data covers the entire disc twice, the laser re-focuses for the second pass at what is called the “layer break”, it is the time your players laser takes to re-focus to the second layer that creates the dropout. Most DVD players (latest generation) do this so fast it is unperceivable …others are not so quick. This is not a disc defect. Ideally the layer break could be in a blank section of the disc, but due to the huge amount of data and extra features (i.e. Dolby Surround Sound, DTS Surround Sound and a few interviews) we produced into this DVD, it was not possible to shift it to a blank section without reducing the quality to a point below our standards. We weighed the options and chose to include all the extra audio features and keep the video quality as high as possible.

--- Perception of some “double looking images” or “smeared Images” or “ghosting lines”
Most notable on medium to fast camera or subject movements and some video transitions on very large screen televisions (much like sitting in the front row at the movie theatre). This is an artifact of the “film quality” frame rate we produced the video in. it is called 24p (same as motion picture film) as opposed to the standard video rate of 30i. You may notice a more film like quality to this DVD rather than the harsh stale feel of many concert DVD’s. It is purely the director’s artistic license at play.
Again, not a disc defect.

---Some random soft pixilation of video,
This is purely an artifact of the video compression needed to include all the wonderful concert footage and features on this DVD. You may notice it more in scenes that contain that cool fog effect in the foreground; historically concert video has a little trouble with fog plus compression, combine that with radical concert lighting and we are pushing the limit.
Again not a disc defect.

If you have received a disc damaged from shipping i.e. crack or other wise, please make a claim with the post office. If a disc took a blow hard enough to crack it through its packaging and case, a little extra micro bubble packaging as in “media mailers” would not have helped much if any. Your items were shipped with insurance and are covered. Be prepared to show them the damaged packing materials also.

I hope this clarifies some minor issues with the DVD…
Everyone deserves props for their extreme patience in taking delivery of this project.
Normally a project of this dimension would take a year or better to produce.
We have plans to produce the PPVIII in extreme fashion much closer to this years original shipping expectations.
Your satisfaction is of the most supreme importance. We all thoroughly enjoyed producing this project.
Hope to see you all again this year.

Yours truly,
Kent Smith
Executive Producer
ProgPower USA VII The DVD/CD

--Some random soft pixilation of video
He explanation is very true, and was also expected from the HDV format that the concert was filmed in. That format, by definition, does a lot of compression to fit HD resolution footage onto Dv (or miniDV) tape. In fact, HDV uses MPEG-2... so any "MPEG-2-y" jaggies that appear are expected... get a smaller TV screen :p

I understand the layer-refocusing effect. My dvd player is quite slow, so I get that pause in everything. BUT.. a progressive scan DVD player will easily read it, cuz most of those players buffer their read times as they scan the DVD. So you get an overlap of data to avoid skips or layer transfers.

I had noticed a slight "skip" or hesitance in mine, but it appeared to correct itself rather quickly. I've only watched the dvd once though...

Great news there will be antoehr dvd filmed this year!!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand the layer-refocusing effect. My dvd player is quite slow, so I get that pause in everything. BUT.. a progressive scan DVD player will easily read it, cuz most of those players buffer their read times as they scan the DVD. So you get an overlap of data to avoid skips or layer transfers.
Having a progressive scan DVD player doesn't necessarily suggest that you have a buffer to prevent layer change skipping, (I think Denon is the only one that advertises that feature).

Just to clear it up for others... progressive scan doesn't mean scanning further ahead, it means that it can display progressive video (full frame, 24p / 30p.. need a progressive scan TV and use s-video/component/HDMI) as opposed to interlaced video (60i).

So far I've only watched my DVD on my 7 year old computer (not even my new one, a normal player, or a PS2 yet...) and I've had no troubles. I checked out that one spot mentioned in Epica's music and it seems fine to me, no skip noticed at all.

My only complaint is I wish there was more Freak Kitchen to watch :) Though I swear I could remember their bass player dancing and spinning around stage a lot at the show. Damn him for not doing it constantly! I was really happy the entirety of Taste my Fist played. Too bad we didn't get to see him play with the little sound toys as well. Good fun. Good fun. Also I sort of wish we could see more of the audience interaction rather than instantly fading it out then starting at the very beginning of the next song pretty much.

I enjoy the disc very much so far! Glad it finally came, seems worth the wait to me :)

So far I've only watched my DVD on my 7 year old computer (not even my new one, a normal player, or a PS2 yet...) and I've had no troubles. I checked out that one spot mentioned in Epica's music and it seems fine to me, no skip noticed at all.

My only complaint is I wish there was more Freak Kitchen to watch :) Though I swear I could remember their bass player dancing and spinning around stage a lot at the show. Damn him for not doing it constantly! I was really happy the entirety of Taste my Fist played. Too bad we didn't get to see him play with the little sound toys as well. Good fun. Good fun. Also I sort of wish we could see more of the audience interaction rather than instantly fading it out then starting at the very beginning of the next song pretty much.

I enjoy the disc very much so far! Glad it finally came, seems worth the wait to me :)

Hopefully the FK DVD will see the light this year, they did film 2 nights at Storan in Sweden, plus a bunch of other stuff. According to IA, it won't be slick & glossy, it'll be warts n' all... Good song selection for FK, especially since we got Chopstick Boogie & the dildo sing along with Taste My Fist.
Can't wait to see what these guys are going to do with a full set in October.
:headbang:

J-Dubya

--- Perception of some “double looking images” or “smeared Images” or “ghosting lines”
Most notable on medium to fast camera or subject movements and some video transitions on very large screen televisions (much like sitting in the front row at the movie theatre). This is an artifact of the “film quality” frame rate we produced the video in. it is called 24p (same as motion picture film) as opposed to the standard video rate of 30i. You may notice a more film like quality to this DVD rather than the harsh stale feel of many concert DVD’s. It is purely the director’s artistic license at play.
Again, not a disc defect.
I have this problem on my main DVD player which is four years old as well as a two year old DVD recorder. But a newer All region player and two month old portable DVD player both provide smooth and crisp images during fast motion. So I guessing this artifact effects older units only.

The only issues I saw when watching the dvd over the weekend were the hiccup in one fo Epica's songs and the fact Zak Stevens redid his vocals. THat to me is the most disappointing thing.

We have plans to produce the PPVIII in extreme fashion

Yours truly,
Kent Smith
Executive Producer
ProgPower USA VII The DVD/CD

Sweet!!!!!!!!

With some of the issues that occurred I was worried that the production of this cd/dvd might not have been profitable enough to warrant doing it again. Glad I was wrong........wait or no wait, this is an awesome thing to have. Although I haven't been able to watch mine yet.......promised I would wait until I could sit down with my brother and we could watch it together for the first time. Hopefully this weekend we'll be reminiscing and trying to pick ourselves out of that third row of banging heads :headbang:

I have a problem. I still haven't received my dvd. Oddly enough I just got an e-mail from the post office today about it. Supposedly the dvd shipped on Feb 8th and was "delivered" on Feb 10th, except I still don't have it. Now, it shipped to my old studio addy, but that shouldn't be a problem because I still live in the same building and they have been very good about forwarding any mail with the old apartment number to me. I guess I will have to talk to my landlord tomorrow and see if he has it in the office. Otherwise, I don't know what happened to it, but I would like to watch it.

Is anybody else have this problem?

My Savage Circus and Vision Divine songs are switched on the CD. The cover says (and when I downloaded it into iTunes) Savage Circus is song 5 & 6 and Vision Divine is 7 & 8. But actually the Vision Divine songs are 5,6 and the Savage Circus is 7,8...

Hopefully I have a collector's item here! :)

Is anybody else have this problem?

My Savage Circus and Vision Divine songs are switched on the CD. The cover says (and when I downloaded it into iTunes) Savage Circus is song 5 & 6 and Vision Divine is 7 & 8. But actually the Vision Divine songs are 5,6 and the Savage Circus is 7,8...

Hopefully I have a collector's item here! :)

Congratulations! It'll be worth a fortune on eBay!!!!!!

--Just kidding. They're all like that. :lol:

I haven't got my DVD either. I don't know why, I ordered it off the website the first day it was up for preorder, yet everyone else seems to have gotten theirs.

First, thanks again to Glenn and crew for another awesome PPUSA show! I received the DVD and it plays just fine. Very glad to have the DVD to continue the memories of a great show. My only constructive critique, and this is with the understanding of the limited resources to pull the CD/DVD off, is that on many, not all, but on much of the DVD the guitars are just way too low in the mix in relation to everything else, even when their are two guitarists in the band. Where's the Metal? This is ProgPOWER with bands with a mostly Metal lean, right? I'd love hear a heavier mix that more closely resembles the punch of these wonderful performances. Assuming this is a multi-tracked board recording, I'm sure this can be done without losing balance and clarity. Next time, kick up the guitars in the mix a bit so we can sink our teeth in the Metal. Having said the above - really looking forward to this year's festival and DVD! :headbang: