PP USA VII DVDS- Message from Lucid Lounge Re: problems

I have a problem. I still haven't received my dvd. Oddly enough I just got an e-mail from the post office today about it. Supposedly the dvd shipped on Feb 8th and was "delivered" on Feb 10th, except I still don't have it. Now, it shipped to my old studio addy, but that shouldn't be a problem because I still live in the same building and they have been very good about forwarding any mail with the old apartment number to me. I guess I will have to talk to my landlord tomorrow and see if he has it in the office. Otherwise, I don't know what happened to it, but I would like to watch it.

I don't have mine yet either, and I ordered it at the festival. I'm starting to wonder if I should contact the company?

First, thanks again to Glenn and crew for another awesome PPUSA show! I received the DVD and it plays just fine. Very glad to have the DVD to continue the memories of a great show. My only constructive critique, and this is with the understanding of the limited resources to pull the CD/DVD off, is that on many, not all, but on much of the DVD the guitars are just way too low in the mix in relation to everything else, even when their are two guitarists in the band. Where's the Metal? This is ProgPOWER with bands with a mostly Metal lean, right? I'd love hear a heavier mix that more closely resembles the punch of these wonderful performances. Assuming this is a multi-tracked board recording, I'm sure this can be done without losing balance and clarity. Next time, kick up the guitars in the mix a bit so we can sink our teeth in the Metal. Having said the above - really looking forward to this year's festival and DVD! :headbang:

Depends on what track you're talking about. Some of the bands mixed their own stuff while others had LL do it. Your specific complaint may have to be directed at the band themselves, depending on the track. IMO, for a LIVE recording, I think the tracks sound great. Complaining about the mix is like complaining about an artist using the wrong brush or the wrong color. It's kind of an individual preference.
JMHFO.... :)

J-Dubya

Depends on what track you're talking about. Some of the bands mixed their own stuff while others had LL do it. Your specific complaint may have to be directed at the band themselves, depending on the track. IMO, for a LIVE recording, I think the tracks sound great. Complaining about the mix is like complaining about an artist using the wrong brush or the wrong color. It's kind of an individual preference.
JMHFO.... :)

J-Dubya

Yeah, without knowing who did what tracks, it's hard to be specific. And, yes everyone's ear is different and taste is personal preference. But my "constructive critique" is distinct from "complaint", and suggestions and comments can be useful, with an open mind. :)

Well, I emailed them in Dec about my address change. They never put it into action. So when I emailed them last week to make sure, they were like "sorry" and mailed it again to my current addy. So ya email them, but don't expect full sentences at replies.

I'm also curious, how much did we pay for shipping? Because these are being sent out in -free- priority mail envelopes (with "priority" scratched out), and by media mail, which is very inexpensive.

Okay, now that I finally have the DVD, those lines everyone sees during movement... they look like freakin interlacing artifacts! LL said it was shot in 24p.. so I don't know how the video got interlaced, but it is...

Scroll down to the yellow balls for a demo...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlace
... you'll see this mostly on all outlines, people's hair, and especially the drumsticks.

If it was shot at 24p, then somewhere in post it was converted to interlaced. (Also, it does not look 24p as far is frame rate is concerned. Looks 30 to me, well.. if you include the fact that its interlaced, it looks very much like 60i, but thats just a feeling)

Now here is the kicker... the final version on this DVD is progressive, but it doesn't look progressive, what gives? Was it:

- shot in 24p, converted to 60i, then rendered at 24p?

- shot in 60i, then rendered as 24p?

In any case, we shouldn't be seeing interlacing artifacts.

I'm also curious, how much did we pay for shipping? Because these are being sent out in -free- priority mail envelopes (with "priority" scratched out), and by media mail, which is very inexpensive.

Really? Mine was actually mailed priority not media mail (which can take up to 10 days to recieve).

I'm sorry, but from this point on I would ask that you please email Lucid Lounge with all questions/concerns. I simply do not have the time to keep up with this and act as a go-between.

This thread will be removed from the *sticky* on Wed.