PP USA X: Major roster changes

This is tough news. That has got to be very hard to deal with as promoter and I hate you have had to go through this. I applaud you for your honesty and ability to quickly rebound and rebound well. For me the new line up is a lateral move from the old. It's all good. I hope this talk of stopping the fest is just frustration talking and in time that talk will turn into pressing on.

It would really suck if the festival ends this year!!!!! I was really looking foward to see the Video presentation on Friday. I hope the shirts were not printed yet!!!!

This is all quite unbelievable and of course wreaks of "business as usual" (or worse) inside the govt.

This is no offense to anyone here who may work within the govt, but I have a bro-in-law that is a long time employee in a specific branch. Let me tell you, the stories he comes home with..... He actually has this thing called moral and self respect (gasp), and while he has always told me stories about what goes on in there, he has recently moved to a new area within his branch where his values are butting heads with the power that be.

It is AMAZING the lack of accountability that goes on within the govt (as many already know but to hear actual stories...). Flat out and unbelievably amazing. There is ZERO care for the money being thrown around, or how much of it gets thrown. "Hey it's not MY money" is the thought process there. There is slim accountability (if any) on decision making (such as this INS issue) and any mistake made gets a small slap on the wrist, if any at all. If anything, you'll get replaced with high dollar contractors (no offense to our resident contractors either!) and just moved to a different position or something, mostly made up on the spot.

I know it's a two edged sword though, we think our economy is tanked now, imagine dismissing all the govvie workers who actually deserved it, so that we could reform our govt and make accountability a requirement. We'd have a new super depression on our hands, and that is no joke. I don't know how in the world any president, congressman or what have you can fix it. The snowball moves too fast down the hill to stop so to say.

Each individual case is reviewed by one person at the visa processing center. Evidently, if you get the right person, you have no problems. You get the wrong person and you get rejected. It’s as simple as that. There is no possible way to speak to any officer directly involved with your case to clarify, ask questions, etc. There is absolutely no method to the madness. How else can you explain how the remaining bands were approved with the standard documentation compared to the other bands that with more that failed? How else can you explain that I have never had a problem in the past using the exact same process and documentation? I have even had a situation in the past with half of a band approved (different nationality/consul) and the other half rejected initially based on the exact SAME documentation. Yes, you read that correctly. That proves that no two screeners follow the same reviewing standards.

I work for the government in my country so in a way I shouldn't be surprised by the fact described above (bureaucracy sucks in any country). But I must add to Glenn's post that I really don't understand USA inmigration laws towards artists, much less well known ones that I'm sure they had play before (in some way) in USA and/or have been accepted widely in Europe, Japan, Australia and South America. We're not talking terrorist here, they're just musicians! And they're not coming to take away jobs from anyone either. How come so many USA bands play at KIT, HOA, WOA, etc., without a fuzz? What if the EC begins to take the same attitude towards American bands?

I agree that American citizens that feel aggravated by this should write to their congress and/or senate people, it's a privilige of democracy and should be exercised. If they had your vote, let's remind them that next time the vote can swing.

Well, anyhow the Andre Matos thing is the one that pisses me the most as was one of the major motivations to go. But let's be grateful to Glenn that has moved heaven and hell to make this one happens, let's support him by going to PPX with joy and give the best of us to the bands that will perform in appreciation for the titanic effort made.

Glenn, I know this has been a major pain in the ass for you, but the changes are killer choices! Cage and Sabaton in the same night will for sure quinch my powermetal thirst! :kickass: I'm looking forward to the Crimson Glory set as well.

~Brian~

:OMG: God DAMN it. See? You try to do the right thing and you get screwed. I would love to know the reasons behind not giving these particular bands visas. So many bands get visas, why not these four? Motherf**ker!!!

Well, since VP is out ( :cry: ), please allow me to suggest another band for Thursday night: THEM, the King Diamond tribute. NYC based, so no visas to worry about! http://www.myspace.com/666them

And now, I'm off to update the MySpace page....

~C

Well, since VP is out ( :cry: ), please allow me to suggest another band for Thursday night: THEM, the King Diamond tribute. NYC based, so no visas to worry about! http://www.myspace.com/666them

~C

By now, ProgPower is big enough that King Diamond would play it. The day ProgPower books a tribute band, it won't be ProgPower again.

Suggesting a tribute band to replace Vanden Plas is ridiculous in my opinion.

WOW!! Sorry Glenn for the suck news...I can;t imagine the frustration you have been enduring the past few days with this news and having to scramble around to get replacements. On the bright side, I think you did a helluva job with the replacements and would dare say at least 2 of them are upgrades. Cage is for damn sure an upgrade over Power Quest and Crimson Glory's set (if we stick with the first 2 albums) could be better than Andre Matos. I don;t know Mindflow yet so i can;t comment, but you have given me something to do now in hunting down their catalog to check out.
I love your honesty Glenn, no other promoter would do that. As much as this situation has been a pain in the ass, you have made the best of it. Please keep doing the festival. All I can suggest is see if there is another process you need to follow on the Visas to make sure you aren't "Lucky" in the future.

By now, ProgPower is big enough that King Diamond would play it. The day ProgPower books a tribute band, it won't be ProgPower again.

Suggesting a tribute band to replace Vanden Plas is ridiculous in my opinion.

Excuse me but I wasn't suggesting they replace VP. I just suggested another band for Thursday night. Read before you call people's suggestions ridiculous.

Excuse me but I wasn't suggesting they replace VP. I just suggested another band for Thursday night. Read before you call people's suggestions ridiculous.

I have my opinions, as you have yours. I have heard Them before and I think it's a very weak band to play at the Showcase. Sorry if you're offended, but it doesn't fit ProgPower. It's like suggesting a Hammerfall tribute band or something.

The point is, it would be ridiculous to have a tribute/cover band playing at the Showcase.

Just in case (and knocking on wood) some ideas for bands are needed (no visa required), I think the following can fit on PPUSA:

Scale The Summit
Edensong
LoNero
Tetrafusion
Aska
Crescent Shield
Pharaoh
Black Tide
Benedictum
Bone Shaker
Miles Beyond
Phantom-X

All are American bands, active with one or more albums in the market already and they play either progressive or power metal, so they can fit IMO for the festival.

You mean O-change-ama hasn't addressed the immigration situation? Oh well...he hasn't addressed anything yet. Oops l forgot...Andre wouldn't get to vote...nevermind. :lol:

I'm sure Progpower USA is right up there on Obama's list of things to do for the USA, right next to how to deal with Health Care.

For the record, I did contact my local senator and represenative. I emailed them information to be vetted as requested. I did not hear back from either one

The problem with that is you have to put even more man hours into calling them constantly until you finally break through. Frankly, I think we should all send a letter to both our states congressmen and senators, as well as a copy to atlanta's senators expressing our disappointment and letting them know that because of this, Atlanta will be losing a large cash influx.

I'm sure Progpower USA is right up there on Obama's list of things to do for the USA, right next to how to deal with Health Care.
Dude, you obviously didn't read the article Glenn provided in his first post. This issue goes way beyond ProgPower. Here's an excerpt from the article:

An Israeli choreographer living in France, Emmanuel Gat almost missed his Boston performance this past March because, after successfully completing the paperwork, the US consulate refused to give him his visa, which requires two stamp-less pages on the applicant’s passport. He didn’t have two free pages, and frantically sent away for a new passport from Israel, received it, got a new appointment, jumped on a plane, and landed at Logan a breathless two hours before his first performance.

Local venues are not amused by this type of customs daredevilry, as they have a serious financial stake in the ability of the scheduled bands to make their shows. Randi Millman has been booking manager for T.T. the Bear’s Place in Cambridge for more than 10 years, and says that, in the past year or two, visa troubles have plagued bands more and more, so much so that she now gets nervous when international acts book her club. “I don’t want to not book stuff from England, Scotland, Sweden, but I’ve been hesitating,” she says. “I really stress that they need their immigration in place.”

When a band cancels a show because of last-minute visa issues, “we’re essentially screwed,” says Millman. All the money she has spent on promotion, advertisements in newspaper and radio, might as well have been set on fire. “And 10 times out of 10,” she says, “you know that night is going to be a train wreck, so you’ve lost money that way . . . I have to pull something out of my ass at the last minute, and there’s never enough time to promote it, and it’s never good.”

Steve Ferguson, agent for the View, has been forced to cancel two of their tours at the last minute, a call which was not easy to make. “It effects dozens of people,” he says. “It’s kind of like a domino effect. Everybody suffers.”

In many ways, the long list of bands with canceled or postponed tours acts as a scarecrow for the USCIS, warning would-be applicants to fill out forms properly and in a timely manner. But on a grander scope, the ever-lengthening list of musicians with visa troubles are not the effects but the causes of a larger, far more detrimental issue, which is that an increasing number of foreign artists are starting to see the American music scene as something to be avoided.

And it isn't just in the entertainment industry. I read an article the last time VP was forced to cancel, that said US companies lost over 9 billion due to visa problems preventing foreigners from coming over here to do business - temporarily, not permanently. I've tried Googling for the article, but haven't found it yet.