preamp out on a combo

Sep 1, 2001
Chicago
Visit site
hey guys. so im interested in using the preamp out of my fender blues deluxe combo amp to plug in to my board and using IRs instead of miking it. ive been reading about some of the people on this board doing that with their 100 watt (usually) heads either connected to a cab still or a dummyload. But im wondering with a combo amp, is this still neccesary? im assuming taking the preamp out, the signal still goes through the cabinet so i wont risk blowing the tubes, right?
And how would i connect a dummyload to a combo anyhow? i cant seem to wrap my head around this. i probably wont be doing this since dummyloads are so expensive.
Basically, i just want to know if ill be safe just taking the preamp out.

you should be fine doing that... but nothing is gonna sound like a mic'd up amp... just stick a 57 in front of it...

Just remember that a preamp out is a line level output and make sure you run it into a line in input on your interface/mixer - don't run it into one of your mic preamps or you could damage it. If you want to be able to run it into one of your mic pres you will need a DI box to bring the signal down to mic level. So the answer is yes, you could damage your equipment if you do not do it correctly.

Just remember that a preamp out is a line level output and make sure you run it into a line in input on your interface/mixer - don't run it into one of your mic preamps or you could damage it. If you want to be able to run it into one of your mic pres you will need a DI box to bring the signal down to mic level. So the answer is yes, you could damage your equipment if you do not do it correctly.

Wrong. He will not damage it by plugging it into a mic pre- there'd be a level mismatch but there's no way you're going to damage the mic pre or the amp by running a too hot signal into it.

You will be fine using the preamp out you won't need a dummy load as its a combo, just don't unhook your combo's speaker and you will have no problems.